1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Nah, FF.net will continue to exist because our groups represent 10-25% of HP fans.

The rest are mindless idiots.

They are also the admins on FF.net.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Somewhat long(ish) post HBP continuation...

Have you thought of trying 'Trinity' by Katling yet then?
    It's 21 chapters (or 758kbs if you measure that way, which
    I prefer to) and its a pretty good continuation of where JKR
    left off....That said it has G&H and R&Hr as pairings and
    Dumbles is still alive with....[stops talking so as not to give
    the whole thing away]

Here's a link if anyone's interested:
    [http://www.schnoogle.com/authors/katling/T01.html]

--bornagainpenguin

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

FF.net and its continued existence...

Don't think the other fandoms are immune to this type
    of random deletions, because they're not! That said I
    haven't heard of too many people in the other fandoms
    I follow leaving enmasse like the Harry Potter writers do,
    most of them just shrug and reload their stuff until it gets
    deleted again or ignored...

--bornagainpenguin

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Eh, I only read HG if the plot and style is really good. It sucks though, after HBP, everyone is jumping on the Harry/Ginny ship.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm more pissed that everyone who had excellent fics before HBP got pissed off at the new book and abandoned their story, or don't want to continue it as AU and gave up.

I personally think OOTP (for Dark Harry off the argument with Dumbles and Sirius' death) of GoF-for independent Harry are the best jump off points, HBP is pure crap.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, what the hell is that? No matter how it is, all fanfiction that takes place in one of the seven years in Hogwarts is always going to be AU. Doesn't matter if the book didn't come out yet, your story is not going to be exactly like canon, so why abandon your story because it's AU? Just an excuse to stop writing.

Yup, I like post-GoF and post-OoTP the best. Although in a lot of post-Ootp the authors ruin it by magically bringing back Sirius from the dead.

7. Midknight

Yep I hate that. (anyone who's read my story shut up, you haven't seen the twist with it. It's sweet isnt' it Dark, heh)

And if i see one more Harry with a staff! story i'm going to ram a damned keyboard up the author's ass with glass shard lube.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

9. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

oh......
    :twisted: How about when the 'staff' actually starts communicating with Harry/teaching him spells and whatnot.
    *ponders the possibility of sending Midknight a few links just to see his reviews, shakes head, he probably already read those*
    but that was FUN 8) I mean those poor authors MUST impress upon the reader the greatness/strenght [magical, of course] of one Harry Potter.

10. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yeah, staffs REALLY suck. It also implicitly makes it unfair as Voldemort is very powerful BUT not powerful enough to use a staff. Harry has NO disadvantages other than time, and if he has a staff he's usually like a god. Are they trying to say that a wand can cover the spectrum from Neville Longbottom all the way to Albus Dumbledore, BUT Harry is SO powerful that it just doesn't work effectively FOR HIM?!!

My most hated Fanfic Cliche is the "Candy Killer" as I call it. Its when Harry is REALLY stupid and kind and ball-less but when he has to kick ass he KICKS ASS! This is EVERY girl's stupid fantasy guy. THe "Strong, but sensitive" thing. And frankly its not realistic or good. MOst authors take it to the point that Harry is actually SUBSERVIENT to others. THis is BULLSHIT! And what fun is a perfect Harry anyway, eh? The best part of people is that we're humans; NOT gods that are SO much better than us and never do anything wrong. ALso, its too sentimental. I've read a story where Harry kills a WHOLE bunch of bad guys he was struggling to beat before, and you know what set him off? Someone hit his love, Tonks, with a cutting curse (it was a HONKS story).

THis is a perfect example. The world stops and turns based on a girl. THis is female fantasy. I don't know of ANY time I've seen a guy feel like that. Dude is so powerful, but he's dependent on one person? Its one thing for Harry to fall in love and be concerned for another person, its another for that other person to LITERALLY mean EVERYTHING to them.

11. Midknight

Trust me, if it was out prior to Jan. 05, I've read it. I was laid up in bed for a month and I've read virtually every story that was above 20K words and rated T+.

Thank you. It usually winds up only Harry and Merlin as staff users, it just pfft.

Yep, this is the problem I have, and why I refuse to keep reading Sunset over Britian. The idea behind the story is great(Voldemort takes Britain over, Harry leads a exodus out), I really like it, at the base idea form.

However, it's the writing that has a pussified Harry occasionally acting like a man instead of Herman's bitch, the crimilization of Dumbles, the way OOC-ness of most of the people, and the sheer nothing happening is what pisses me off. Harry killing people, fine. Harry with god like powers, not doing anything? Nope, next.

12. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

oh heres a good cliche
    the summer to do list.

i have read so many fics where harry is like
    1. Train
    2. Run everyday
    3. Sneak out to diagon alley
    and so on and so forth.

some of the fics with these lists are ok other are bad because on the list its has stuff like
    listen to hermione more often
    write to ginny
    tell dumbledore about dreams.

13. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

COol signature, who said that?

And I agree about the list. Almost as bad as NIce!Petunia

the woman calls him freak, malnourishes him, neglects him, and is downright cruel (deliberately giving him an old worn out socks and toothpicks as CHRISTMAS GIFTS!!)

People say, "It was all Vernon," but when Dudley's upset he goes to his mom, who said in PS, "Don't worry, Popkin. We won't let him ruin your party." Regarding Harry being allowed to accompany them to the zoo. And then locking a child in a CUPBOARD!! The best you can say about her regarding this is that she tolerated it and allowed it to happen. At worst she put him there. Either way she's a bitch, its only a matter of degree.

Lastly, SHE was the one who fed Harry bread and water in book 2, when he was locked in his room.

Somehow though these people (see stories like "an Aunt's Love" or "Summer of Change" or "Apprentices: Gentry Green" or countless others) take it that Petunia was jealous overcomes and now gets along GREAT with Harry over the course of one Summer. Or that she was swept along by Vernon and he really did all the bad things (I just disproved this part above) and now she regrets it SOOO now they get along GREAT over the course of one summer, after YEARS of abuse. Its all bullshit.

I have NEVER liked a story that had Nice!Petunia. This and "Candy Killer" Harry where he whines constantly and is upset by every bad thing.

The only Dursley I could see Harry forgiving is Dudley, and that's because he was a fat kid who didn't know any better. But at this point he should know though, so it doesn't matter anymore honestly. A few years ago, they could have patched things up MAYBE.

I'm spent now. Whew. :D

14. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Aye Nice!Petunia is as bad as fluffy!Malfoys.

T. E. Lawrence

15. Midknight

Oh but lets not forget, every stupid bastard that writes those Nice Petunia stories argue that Harry has never been hit (didn't he get a broken arm or something in canon and got shoved in the closet?), and that locking a child in a closet and depriving him food isn't abuse.

16. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Its obvious Harry gets abuse at the Dursley's...some physical, but mostly mentally and emotionally. Really screwed up abuse? No. That would make them "unnatural".

17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

He's hit in Canon. 5th Year. Harry hears Mundungus apparate away pulls out his wand. Vernon sees him and GRABS him by the throat, and starts to strangle him. Harry begins to black out, but at the last second a SHOCK goes up Vernon's arm forcing him to release Harry.

LOOK IT UP. These people are DELUSIONAL. Never hit Harry, my ass. If they don't have a problem starving a kid, what makes them think that they would have a problem smacking him upside the head?! :wall:

Redeye, GREAT movie. David Lean should have made more flicks. I don't remember that line though. I gotta see it again. Haven't seen it in about a 2 years.

18. Midknight

Yeah I gotta agree, it's easily assumed that there was serious hitting going on in the background for at least some of the more "severe" infractions Harry's done in his life. I'd rather be hit any day, then to be starved and trapped in a closet, and being beaten by my cousins friends.

I know theres at least one or two examples more in canon I can't recall off the top of my head, and I'm too disgusted with canon atm to look.

Hell, Harry being trapped up in a tree with Aunt Marge's dog trying to attack him with no one helping him shows they are all for "unnatural" punishment

19. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

we all know in canon he's not going to harm the on the basis that you walk away your a better man...but just sometime maybe walking away can do more damage, I might be wrong though

20. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

we have listed so many cliches i think we coverd most all of harry potter fanfiction.

there needs to be something new.
    i suggest
    HERBOLOGY! HARRY
    he'll get devil's snare on your ass!

or what about uh......
    POTIONS! HARRY
    no spells it will be like gauntlet legends throw a bottle of magic and kill death!

Not open for further replies.