1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Sad thing is, there is another thread that I locked awhile ago when Raven started this one, that was just as big.

I'm sure I'll lock this one soon, and just turn a thread called something like Fanfic Peeves Rant thread.

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

o_O ... ive got a weird idea... its actually stolen from a forum I was at long long LONG time ago...

a ranting thread for the authors who post here or admins/mods... or even all users interested in one... a thread for them to rant and rave about whatever the hell is bothering them that day...

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd rather it kept to a specific topic, otherwise you know we have ppl here who'd abuse the hell out of it, but yeah a ranting thread about Fic peeves is pretty much what I had in mind when this one is done

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

true... i remember abusing the hell out of it back when CLG (old forum) had it... suppose it DOES seem a bad idea now that i think about it...but yah ... fic peves ranting catagory is good..

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

We all like to rant here so it sounds good. :p

6. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Harry being the only one who can "remove" the Dark Mark and getting into a battle with Voldemort's Magic, where he ultimately wins, and ends up tired and exhausted. Harry will try to remove the Dark Mark in my story, BUT will ultimately fail.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Drabble collections. Every time I see one of these I get annoyed. If you're going to write, take some time and plan and write something longer than 100 words. Nobody wants to read one single paragraph of bullshit.

8. Warlock

Warlock First Year

This might have been said but ive got to say i get pissed so much when Harry takes a magical potion and his eyesight is cured. I just dont get it. but then i wear glasses so... there is that. There is also this little piece of evidence called Percy. Who wears glasses in cannon so i believe the correct term im looking for is in yo' face naysayers

9. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

true but your forgetting that his family is poor...and i would bet that the potion is expensive since most things that deal with health are...but it still pisses me off too because i wear glasses and if it was that easy to cure your eye sight then i got one question. Where do I get some?

10. Warlock

Warlock First Year

Well about them being poor i would say that glasses over time cost alot of money. I dont know if wizards have eye doctors or what not.

11. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

1. I ve spent many bored hours searching for decent fics among the trash and I have noticed something. Although the specific reasons may vary a vast number of slash fics involve negative themes. Harry is raped he is gay, he is rebellious he is gay, he was betrayed so horribly that he likes Snape because Snape was the only one that believed him (this one deserves its own WTF? because that defies even all psuedo logic), Harry is evil so he is gay, and it goes on. Most slash writers unknowingly or not gives credence to the idea that homosexuality is an unnatural state of being.

It almost leads me to believe that slash romance is being fronted by a very crafty christian fundamental group. Think about it. The only people that like it are some screwed up girls. I have never heard of a guy spout the wonders of slash, then again I don't read slash stories. Anyway, this fundy group figures that the fan base does not matter because girls liking male-on-male action are just doubling their allegiance to dick, but with us guys it scares us away from even experimenting and so saving us from 'catching' it. But, anyway since the conspiracy theory is a bit off I would have to say it is just a cliche. So, they need to shake things up. I still won't read it, but at least give me so more unique summaries to read before I continue to the next story on the list.

2. MPREG. Does this really make any sense to any of you? They apparently can not fix someone's eyesight but they can with just a spell allow a guy to have a baby? I mean I understand if its a sex-change kind of thing, which I imagine would take more steps than just a spell and by then it really is not a male being pregnated now is it? I want this cliche to die away from fic summaries all together. I don't mind the existence of slash as long as I don't have to read it, but the guy getting preganant plot device is just plain stupid.

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I hate it. I read through these summaries and I see a huge line of:

HD MPREG
    HD MPREG
    HD NONCON MPREG
    HPSS MPREG

and the list goes on.

13. Gawl

Gawl First Year

The House that poor anger management built
    Seeing things like that in the summary isn't the worst part, its not see them in the summary but coming across them in the story itself with no warning thats so terrible.

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Too true...too true.

15. Necrule Paen

That is true. But, the generally tell you in the author notes if they decided to go with slash, then I know to skiddadle. That is why one must always read author notes.

16. Lord Ravenclaw

Agreed. If I even see a hint of slash...*poof*

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, I was reading a really good DragonBall Z fanfic once, and then, all of a sudden, it turned into slash. I was like WTF, did I miss the note in the summary? Or even in the authors notes? But, no, it wasn't in either.

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

My Harry got his eyes fixed... :( but it was done by a very old potion that was in the chamber. He didnt even mean for it to happen.

19. Warlock

Warlock First Year

I am fortunate enough to not have waltzed upon a slash fic yet, for which i am very thankful. As far as the eye thing goes, as long as its well written i dont care, this goes for super!harry and every other conceiveable cliche out there. I also seem to have a 6th sense when it comes to slash fics, ive stopped reading out of a whim only to find out later on a board it was slash.

20. Necrule Paen

I am not exactly sure if this is a cliche or just a pet peeve I have with the entire Harry Potter Universe. Slytherin is suppose to be the house of those who are cunning and power hungry, why, in almost every story I have read in this universe including Canon, are all Slytherins showed to be nothing more than evil hufflepuffs? It is always protrayed that the Dark schemes on the Light. I will show you what I mean. How many fics have you read where there is a mention of a Dark Lord being defeated through a coupe within his ranks and not by some Savior like Harry or Dumbledore? I can hazard a guess that you will come up with a pretty pathetic number. Everyone insists that evil people are beaten by good people only. If you look at history you will find that many corrupt individulas are overthrown not by the people or humanitarian forces, but by other corrupt individuals. Where is all the scheming to overthrow Voldemort and make themselves the Dark Lord? The only person you see doing it is Harry freaking Potter. Where is the goddamn creativity? And that horseshit about the Prophecy preventing that from happening is just that horseshit. Here is a scenario, the Deatheaters get tired of Voldemort losing to a little boy and revolt against him. His sway from being the Heir of Slytherin is annulled by his half-blood status in their eyes and I know some of them know of his old identity. The wizarding world won't let Harry do anything until he kills Voldemort. So the two duke it out so they can go on with their lives. It certainly fits the whole "neither can live while one survives bit." It has its kinks, but it is worth a shot. How about this, after Voldemort dies instead of running around like chickens with their heads cut off, one of them, say Bellatrix, takes Voldemort's place. They could have just adjusted their plans and instead of continuing like they still had Voldemort's backing they get key people in office and slowly takeover the Ministry. I mean that is a well used plot point, but why put up with Voldemort when they can easily do that just themselves. It makes sense to for the weaker evil people to ban together against the stronger evil person because then they have a better chance of becoming top dog and so eventually they kill each other off. Or you could have Voldemort come back from exile and take back control. I am just giving examples and they may not be well thought out, but do you get my point? I am just tired of the loyalty between Dark characters cliche. There just must be more intrigue. Also, have more divisions in the Light besides the Ministry and Dumbledore, even a Harry division is do blah. I mean that is what makes Wheel of Time such a great series. There is so much intrigue that anything could result from a plot when it collides with the dozen other plots going on.

I am tired so I don't know how lucid this post is. So, Meh.

Not open for further replies.