1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Or the similar bit where they make Neville the boy who lives, and Harry was just an accident.

2. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

oi, you don't like fictions where Harry travels/is transported to another universe/dimension? Some are not so bad...

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Neville is a bright kid with some talent, but nothing god-like...

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Sometimes ive got a problem accaptng him as even halfway decent.. i mean sure.. harry gave him a bit of confidence... but itd take malfoy two seconds to reduce him to a pile of sobbing fat idiocy again.. i know.. ive had confidence issues for a LONG time.. i had confidence a few times but a few idiots do something and its back to ground zero.. it takes a long fucking time to get confidence and keep it... Nev is jsut FUCKED really..

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

True, but the Ministry "fiasco" might have solidified his confidence.

6. Warlock

Warlock First Year

here is the bottom line. do you want a powerful ron or a powerful neville. personally im gonna have to go with Neville

... fucking ron, im going to go ahead and say this before someone else says it(might have already happened) the worst cliche of them all is Ron become super powerful and he keeps harry in check. ATM id love to punch my computer or someone responsible for these abombinations.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Thank god I havnt seen many of those. I'd snap reading shit like that.

Only one I kinda read was when Hermione and Ron with Dumbledore was stealing power off Harry without him knowing. Lily got brought back as well from his power. It's all bullshit. Rofl. I think someone else was bagging this story two days ago. It really is a big pile of shit.

8. Antivash

yeah... demon god of crap story... i read them on the rtain wreck theory... guy seems to be as obsessed with the Harry/lilly pairing as I am with Harry/Tonks ...

9. Midknight

Nev I could buy as stronger but not awesome, if someone really pushes him, and does something to get his confidence up.

The DoM bit (*smacks the shit out of Raven for even joking saying fiasco*) he didn't do a bunch, mostly he was getting dragged around by Harry.

If the two of them got alot of personal training by like Moody or someone, maybe I'd buy it.

Then again, its the same thing with Harry, everyone, myself included, makes him a good bit stronger.... yet in canon he's a one trick pony. His patronus at 13 that drove away 100+ dementors was a great power show, but wtf have we seen elsewhere? By year 5 he was struggling with 2, year 6 he gets his ass stomped by Malfoy, and acts like a bitch all through 5+6.

Harry isn't much better then Nev really, Harry just manages not to fuck up the wand waving and incantations, while Nev is usually scared of everything. We had that argument before, look at what all the strong wizards in the series have done by the time they were in 5/6th year. Harry's done nothing but get very, very lucky, and even then he's only lucky due to bad writing

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

GoF was the turning point. That's when he really shoulda started getting powerful but... well, his will beat Voldemort at the end not magical power. After that, it just went down hill.

11. Midknight

She really screwed that up when you think about it. Occulmency and Leg. are supposedly will related, so how is it he can win a battle of the wills with Voldie, but not learn how to will his mind blank in a classroom setting?

I did think in GoF he'd get alittle stronger... but then you had the tasks and everyone cheated to get Harry through it. Utter disappointment=(

12. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

Here's an idea. What if she's TRYING to keep him weak. That way Voldie can win. What if she somehow writes the story with Voldie winning and the world falling into chaos? Of course, that's not very likely, but still.

13. Antivash

somehow i doubt that... conceptually shes a decent writer and all of the books on writing say letting the villian win is a bit no no.. she probably knows this and its going to be the last ditch effort that kills them both i bet you..

now in practice, she is losing her touch...

14. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Harry never won a 'battle of the wills'.

15. Midknight

Prior incanteum. He mentally poured everything he had into the beam to force it back.

16. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I think Nuit was being cheeky.

"Battle of the Wills"

There was no battle at all, everything of Sirius' went to Harry, and no objections of his will were voiced.

17. Midknight

Yeah wtf was with that, Dumble basically said, heres you new stuff since Sirius is dead. and moved on. I'm glad she didn't make him a snivelling bitch over it... but jesus that was cold blooded right there.

18. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Honestly I think that the will was forgotten Ie. she is getting ready to put the final into the publishers. She looks at random fanfiction, remembers that she forgot to do the will and inserts like two sentences to that effect.

19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

A cliche I have really come to hate is when the story starts of with Harry crying or moping at his bedroom at Privet Drive, over the death of Cedric, Sirius or Dumbledore. This really pisses me off because normally it takes up the whole first chapter and sometimes even the second explaining his feelings over the death(s).

It pisses me off even more than they do this...

"Harry has been living with his muggle (non-magical people) relatives..."

If you dont know what a muggle is... well, go watch the movies or read the books first then come back. It really is fucking annoying.

It's even worse still when he's starving himself to the point of death and sending letters that only take up the corner of the parchment. Ya know, the ones where he rips of a little tiny piece and writes 'I'm fine, Harry' on it.

20. Midknight

Yeah we've covered this hundreds of time. If in the first chapter of your story you recap his entire life, you should be castrated by a rabid dog.

Not open for further replies.