1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Dersleys ditch Harry, so he grows up on the streets of London, or else a really bad orphanage -- and he's subsequently sorted into Slytherin.

2. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

And when he's sorted into Huffelpuff, he goes against anything it stands for to show how cool he is.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Version number 2839023923923 of the Hi I knew your parents very, very well, babysat you as a child, and yet in 6 years back in the wizarding world, you've never heard of me. Please totally trust me, despite the fact my last name is Smith and I'm wearing a redshirt (star trek fans will get this pun)

This is more of a peeve then a cliche, Abbreviations all over. If you can write a godamned 50K+ word story, you can spare the extra few seconds to write out headquarters for the order of the phoenix.

Edit: All the above examples are within the space of a inch or two in the same story, it's followed up by this fucking gem of cliches:

Cliche: Use a few darkish spells to save your own life when you're outnumbered 10 to 1, and suddenly everyone deserts you

4. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

odor(oder) of the pheonix ? come now midknight :p Unfortunately they generally don't have those ratios. Most stories I've read is like suspected dark arts spells get you sentenced to azkaban for life without veritaserum and what not by everyone.

I think the most realistic azkaban fic for sentencing (bar the usual 'your not good enough for our veritaserum.' was 'Lack of Faith' I believe, where Dumbledore was drugged and people (Hermione, McGonnagal) followed his lead when he said Harry was guilty of the crime (which escapes me at the moment its 3 in the morning.) Ron is Jealous like hell and thats all good can't wait until he's done revising the next chapter ron is going to be bashed by an M-16 muggle who is being brought into the OotP (just to spite you MidKnight :wink: )

5. Midknight

Hey lemee be I'm pissed off of Smirnoff :twisted:

6. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I like those kinds of fics, but I have to agree, a lot of them suck.

7. Hubert

Hubert First Year

It may not be a cliche, but i just saw someone request it.

Gay Rights Activist!Harry

wtf!?! I hope this doesn't start a new trend. :shock:

8. Midknight

Its become very fasionable for some reason latly to make stories that are all told from First person point of view.

It irks the shit out of me, because they are never done right. You can't write FP-POV fics, and then switch back to hearing other characters thoughts nonstop, it ruins it. Just because so many are doing it now, doesnt mean its GOOD

9. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

I was going to write something related. Harry, after the war, was going to have lobbyed to decriminalize pretty much all dark arts except the unforgivables, arguing that the descrimination against dark wizards was what helped Voldemort gain a lot of his followers, and after Harry is successful, a gay activist group who thinks Harry is gay tries to convince him to help them in their fight to gain acceptance and shit, only Harry gets pissed off that they assume he's gay, or that he would even agree with being gay just because he fought for dark wizards. The activists don't take his refusal well and start a campaign to 'out' Harry, and I'm not sure where I was going to go with it, but it was going to be a huge, nearly slanderous critique of real gay rights activism and the movement as a whole, targetting the story directly at all the fag loving tween girls (and bored housewives) who seem to breath and drink slash fiction. But I am (and was) too lazy to write it or flesh out a plot.

PS: does anyone find these little personal posts of mine annoying? I mean, rambling on about some dumb idea I had and such... let me know if it is, I'll try to curb it.

10. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

I totally agree. One of the things that keeps me reediting things 100x in my own work is fixing tenses and perspective. I honestly wonder though if its that some authors don't realize how careful they need to be in this area, or if they feel 'itz fanfic, who cares?'

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Draco664 did a good job with the first-person POV in "Apprentice Potter." But that's about the only decent fic of the type.

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

When I started my first-person pov, I had read few out there, but then again I was fed up with alot of FanFiction by then.

13. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

I hate when people use abbreviations, it just makes me so mad!!! like...i seriously doubt they actually call their class 'Dada' if your're going to take the time to write fanfic, take the time to WRITE IT OUT!...lazy bastards

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I don't mind so long as its well written.

15. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

did we already do harry is a god born human but with out his memories till he turn X years old or has some other god tell him that he's a god

16. Midknight

Aye that was was decent

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Apprentice Potter was good...though I felt the end was sorta anti-climatic.

18. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Yeah, I'm always disappointed by fics where the final battle is just something unspectacular. It's why I'm disinclined to kill Tom right now in Prince of Darkness. I mean, it just seems less than fitting for THE big fight to be some single chapter drabble. That and I want Harry to get a serious reality check, and having him come out victorious now ruins that.

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Reality check as in he isn't an all powerful god?

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Reality check in seeing that his arrogance and bravado caused a lot of lives to be lost for no real reason. I want Harry to come out of Halloween the loser at the end of things, to check his pride a little bit. And also to drive him seriously schizo as far as dealing with Voldemort and all who support him is concerned. If Harry kills Tom now, his smug attitude will just grow tenfold. I mean, Hogsmeade being razed isn't quite as bad when he gained the Dark Lord's demise and ended the war in return.

Not open for further replies.