1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

True...his arrogance got Remus killed just now.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I was kinda dissapointed that Remus died, though for the purposes of your story he didn't really have much of one in life.

*Is a fan of Moony*

*Holds candle light vigil*

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Meh.

4. Devil Incarnate

Devil Incarnate First Year

more cliches

Harry becoming phoenix/ dragon/ basilisk animagus

Magic Trunks that have the same effect as that idiotic room in Dragonball Z

Harry rots in azkaban and once he sees ginny he falls in love because "her hair seems to shine, her eyes sparkled and she fills out"

Bellatrix turning good because all of her DE life was under imperio or potion

Ron going evil with jealousy every other sentence

Fleur's accent is so chopped up, the author has to say what they mean at the end.

'ello, 'hari' 'ow ar' 'u I 'av' misd' 'u so mch.

5. Western_Frontier

Western_Frontier Second Year

Putting DBZ and Harry Potter together will definitely not work out. The techniques and abilities in DBZ are in a different scale compared to Harry Potter. DBZ characters have powers to blow up planets. In Harry Potter, a thing like the killing curse is already considered deadly. There is no way those two can go together.

6. Devil Incarnate

I know of a Fleur/Harry story on ff.net that has HPDBZ cross-over with Harry being Goku.

HA!!!!

:roll:

But I agree with you. The story sucked and it would have never worked out.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

LMAO, PROFESSOR VEGETA OMG.

8. Western_Frontier

Western_Frontier Second Year

Vegeta will blow up all the weaklings at Hogwarts

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

*Vegeta slaps Hermione in the mouth*

"Shut up and do the washing, onna!"

10. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

the he gives her the BIG BANG and she dies :twisted:

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Any HP/Anime crossover sucks.

12. Devil Incarnate

13. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

sword and harry potter.....their wizards why would they use swords? wouldn't that have something more powerfull then a wand instead for battle? i donno it just always bugged me that wizards had swords.

14. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Well, I keep swords around as backup weapons in my fics. I mean, a standard wizard would be useless if disarmed of his or her wand, so I give Harry and company melee weapons to compensate for that weakness. Of course, Harry's sword in Prince of Darkness is far more powerful than any wand. Just that he hasn't unlocked its true potential yet.

15. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

dont you hate it when you read a good story that has great potential and promise and its only 4 chapters and then they never update. It happens to me to often i get hooked on a story and then bam! they decide not to update and if they do its like once a year.

lol when you think about it everyone on this forum hates like 75% of harry potter fanfiction because of these poorly written super god like harry who doesnt question dumbledore doesnt think for himself and falls in love with ginny out of the blue.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yup, we are very picky people.

I don't mind if Harry has a sword, as long as it isnt his main weapon. His main weapon should always be his wand then his sword. He should only use it if his wand is not on him or that there is a reason for him to use the sword (eg: Make it look like a muggle crime, ect) Meh...

17. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I think authors with sword fighting often do it for a filler. I mean there's only so many spells you can add in a battle before you run out.

Harry Potter/Anime of any kind is shit. End of story.

You forgot that he's Mr. Gryffindor-Potter-Black-Merlin and that three chapters in Ginny marries him.

I also have fallen out of favour of Azkaban Harry fics. I'm not condemning all of them to this fate, but this is a rough outline of what happens.

Chapter 1: 'The Flashback'. The fic starts with Harry in prison and we get a flashback. There's a court with Harry being tried for something really ridiculous like murdering Ginny. For some reason, everyone thinks it's him and Dumbledore (one of the greatest wizards of all time) falls for it, not even thinking of Polyjuice. All his friends stand against him and Hermione burns all his stuff.

Chapter 2: 'Amazing Powers and Voldemort is dead'. Harry somehow gets God-Like powers but still decided to stay in azkaban. Then, Voldemort attacks Azkaban and the OotP arrive. Harry defeats Voldemort and everyone begs him for forgiveness.

Chapter 3: 'Harry kills Fudge and is very angry at everyone'. Harry somehow gets away with killing Fudge and he efuses to see anyone whatsoever.

Chapter 4: 'Abandoned'. The writer realises he's kiled off any chance of a plot whatsoever and abandons the fic. Thus concludes the epic journey of Harry Potter: The Prizoner of Azkaban.

There are some which are different e.g. Betrayed, Lord Caer of Akaban, Earl of the North etc.

So ends my rant.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

LOL :)

Yeah you just outlined 2/3 of the Azkaban fics out there, though I have seen 1 or two that operate very well within that frame, because the author figured out a way to make a plot develope.

19. kota_dawndragon

kota_dawndragon Second Year

Another cliche is the American exchange student with extraordinary powers who just happens to have the same name as the author. I have NEVER read a good one.

Hermione's role in the war is always research. As realistic as it is to her character, it's still a cliche.

Ron's always a "great" strategist because he's so good at chess.

and the one that make me want to beat the ever-living hell out of the author with a spiked club...

Snape as mushy father figure/mentor for Harry a la Ankha's Gold and Silver, Fire and Ice :puke: . There is no way Snape would EVER act like that. He has been a snarky bastard for far too long to just start acting like he's the best father ever overnight. Snape mentoring Harry can be a good story, IF Snape is kept in character (maybe only slightly softened, enough to be civil if not nice) and the reasoning behind said mentoring is believable. If I completely ignore OotP and HBP (which I'm inclined to do anyway), I could actually see this working.

20. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

lol nor have I.Well, actually, there is that one where Harry is part of an alliance which doesn't allow th Order in. Though it was H/G, it was bearable. The American exchange student wasn't the author though and she wasn't super power.

Not open for further replies.