1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

The American Exchange student in any plot sucks. American Exchange students, even if they aren't named as the author, are 99.989% of the time Mary or Gary-Stus. Same thing with important OCs, unless it becomes obvious that it isn't.

The Earl of the North started out alright, then really tapered off. Same for Lord Caer, which is a shame because it was one of my favorite stories.

2. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

lol its times like these i thank god i never read a american transfer student story now i see i had no good reason to read one.

3. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

I really dislike snape I think the only good snape mentor fic is 'anarkia' I think it was called written by (I think) naia? or something like that. The only reason this is acceptable is because it's realistic, Snape doesn't realize who Harry is as he doesn't go to Hogwarts. This is actually one of my favourite fics atm.

Edit: oh and the 'lack of faith' but I really dislike the fluffiness of that snape/harry father/son relationship. The only reason I like that fic is because Harry is bad ass and there is alot of Ron Hermione bashing

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2255550/14/ -about a thirdish down

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2255550/20/ -very first part of the chapter

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

In my fic, the sword is there for a reason, as an artifact of power and status, not to actually use in fighting so much as it's there to be a plot turn point later. I agree with LT, that having it as a backup weapon is decent. It's better then making him a damned God with infinite wandless magics *ew*

Main reason I focus on how he gets there, rather then a flashback while he's in jail. When Harry goes to jail in my fic, it's really shit he did.

*shrug* Harry kills Fudge in my fic for a reason, and has one of the most extensive backstory so far of most of the fics I've read. Fudge dying isn't a bad thing. I'd like to see more inventive ways then a simple AK though.

The last two you named aren't different, they both wrote themselves into a corner by making Harry too strong, and then stagnated b/c they couldn't come up with anything for him to do.

I'd rather see him too strong and on a rampage killing people in cool ways, then be a whiny bitch who does nothing, or whines over Bella getting knocked up.

I've never seen a fic with any sort of exchange student that hasn't sucked.

RagefulLlama: Don't post such huge blocks of text for a story like that please, add a link to the chapter instead

5. RagefulLlama

Sorry Midknight, I thought there would be a cap on the postings if the admins didn't want such large messages I'll edit it in a sec.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

phpBB doesn't really have that level of control unfortunately.

7. RagefulLlama

meh, my bad either way. :(

8. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

"They were just a boy and a girl who fell in love, but war drove them apart. Now, Ginny Weasley must race against time to help her love, Harry Potter."

this is a summary of one of the meny new fics.......there are no words as to how wrong this is.... :x :evil:

9. Midknight

Only reason I bothered to include that, was that pretty much everyone here has read that, and it was overkill, lol.

Don't take it as a pissy warning type thing, it was typed large like that to snag your attention, not as a DO IT AGAIN AND DIE!

That is my favorite chapter in Lack of Faith btw.

10. Midknight

The power Voldemort knows not!!!

Ginny screws him and he dies of a long painful AIDS infection, since Ginvera seems to have a ***** the size of the Grand canyon

11. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Harry has the power He knows not, not Ginny.

12. Midknight

Harry would technically "have" it too though, hmm or how bout Harry gets it from Ginny, gives it to Bella, who gives it to Voldie!

eventually six degrees of death!

13. RagefulLlama

If that's the case please let the ending include a ritual altar/sacrifice :GDie1

14. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

I don't know, I think Harry needs to do it himself or Ginny would be the prophecy child.

15. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

harry could offer ginny but its more likely that ginny dies harry get enraged and kill voldemort

16. Western_Frontier

Western_Frontier Second Year

I wouldn't mind that outcome... Ginny dies!!!!

17. TrickyMazoku

TrickyMazoku Guest

I would like to remind about Parselmagic. Authors write about some godlike type of magic
    with superpowerful spells. Its boring!!!
    It could be just another kind of magic where language is part of it.
    Like Elvish magic, for example.

18. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Yeah and don't forget that it is easy to learn and that it can't be blocked.
    Another thing is Harry becoming a master Occlumens/Legilimens in a few weeks.

19. TrickyMazoku

TrickyMazoku Guest

He could build decent Occlumence shileds in several weeks, but HOW could he beacame
    MASTER Occlumence/Legilimens? :?:
    He needs partner for practice.

About Parselmagic. You maybe dont have to be born parselmouth, but it could EXTREMALLY hard learn speak parseltongue.

20. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

It's the same thing with his powers, it happens all of sudden without reason.

Not open for further replies.