1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction Confessions

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

The fact I liked Lily/Snape as much as I did as a teenager probably says more about my superiority complex at that time than I'd prefer.

I genuinely wish I could write as well as I used to... which is what I would say if going back to my work a decade later doesn't make me wince a bit at the tryhard convolution, oversold melodrama, and serialized plot I somehow had to write myself out of.

It's the big reason I stopped writing Criminal Limit - I have an outline completed and another ocean worth of plot to craft, but I lost so much of the human locus of the story that it'd just be plugging in a hole.

Finally, it was in horrible taste how I utilized sexual violence in Renegade Cause, and its inclusion in that story did everything a disservice - I honestly wish I had gotten called more on that shit a decade ago.

2. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I can't stand post-Hogwarts stories. I want to like them, but I can't. They just lack the charm of canon.

Edit: the only exception is nonjon. I've read Browncoat, Green Eyes way too many times.

3. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

I enjoy empire-building fics with dogshit plot and characters more than small-scale stories with excellent plot and characters.

4. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

My favorite fic to go back to is that old cywscross fic, because Harry is nice to everyone and people are nice to him.

5. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Seventh Horcrux by Emerald Ashes, while not necessarily my favorite fanfic of all time, is the one of I've re-read the most, at about 8 times.

Its always funny, and some scenes can still make me laugh just thinking of them.

6. EkulTeabag

EkulTeabag Seventh Year

I actually like Ron but dislike the twins. Any story that features overt Ron bashing and twin praising is not one I continue reading.

7. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I recognise it’s terrible but I still have fond memories of A Second Chance at Life, tbh.

8. DukeC

DukeC Squib

I actually don't mind Harry/FemRon pairings.

That pairing actually makes sense.

I actually don't mind Ron's appreciation for food and think it's odd authors harp on it. If you're ever been in a situation where you had to eat fast or you got nothing at all it makes that completely reasonable.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read a lot of fanfic for a ship from a TV show. I will not say which one. That is a thing too terrible to reveal even on DLP.

10. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

I started out reading and writing gen and het, but nowadays it's mostly slash and I don't even regret it.

11. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    I once wrote a smut-story as a teenager where Naruto gangbanged Tsunade in the Hokages office with clones.. It never saw the light of day.

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
  13. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I've come to really enjoy SI stories. Not all are good, but the literal author avatars no longer bug me as they once did.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

15. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't like Browncoat, Green Eyes. I got bored of it and left around the time of the goblin thing.

Pussy.

16. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, me too, but with the added tidbit that if the author gets the lore wrong, I rage!quit, but not before I leave a fucking dissertation in the comments section explaining in minute detail every single thing they got wrong. It's... kind of a problem, actually.

Also, I have a weird sort of thing for post-Hogwarts Harry/Narcissa. And none of that pansy-ass time travel shit; I'm talking those full on Harry-goes-to-cougar-town, uncomfortably large age difference fics.

17. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I enjoy time travel/Peggy Sue/fix it stories.

I would never admit reading fanfics to my RL social circle.

18. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

You should try telling some of them. I think you'd be surprised at how common it is as a hobby.

Hell, I remember sitting at a table one time in prison, talking to a nerdy friend of mine about Star Wars fanfic ideas, and this tatted up mexican gang-banger looking dude stops short as he's walking by and just lights up. He sat down and wound up regaling us with all the details of a Star Wars fic he had written that had gotten thrown in the trash when a couple C.O.s shook down his cell. It had been like two years since it happened, but he was still pissed about it.

19. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I wish there had been more HarryIsKingOfMagic fics.

This less of a ff confession and a more a HP canon confession I guess? I think the HP magic system is better (more nuanced consistent, sensible, FUN) than 95% of other fantasy magics. And I'm being generous with the 5%.

20. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One of the weirdest situation I ever ran into was about that. I was talking to a RL social acquaintance, and he admitted that he was into HP stuff. I did the "but not like fanfiction right?" leading question but he actually admitted to it, and I mentioned I had written something. And then he said he knew it, from this forum! It was the only time that's ever happened, it was quite surreal.