1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction Confessions

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Aug 9, 2020.

1. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Her parents aren't dead, only her uncle, aunts and cousins are. Her uncle and his wife and children having died in the first war. And her Aunt being killed in the second war.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

youwouldn'tgetit.gif

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I adore fics where Harry has a phoenix. Fawkes (preferably NOT when it abandons Dumbldedore for whatever reason, please), Hedwig turned into a phoenix after getting hit with fiendfyre, some other random phoenix. I love it.

It's what makes it so irritating when fics have Harry get a SUPERSPECIAL elder/primordial/ice/whatever phoenix. The birds are cool enough as just dope pets/familiars

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I don’t dislike Phoenix fics, I just dislike that Harry gets a Phoenix and then it has zero relevance to the plot aside from carrying mail.

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Which is totally a shame since canon itself gives us great combat applications to the phoenix. Or just using it as a perfect calming charm. Imagine a medi-witch who has befriended a phoenix. Or To Fight the Coming Darkness that has Fawkes turn into a vengeful creature of revenge when the person he's loyal to dies.

But yes, the phoenix can't just be another coolness prop like infinite gold that is never spent, a special wand that is described once, some fucking lord shit

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  6. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Plot Bunny, wizards do not keep owls as anything more than pets, all wizarding mail is delivered by Joaquin Phoenix. The how and why of this is absolutely never addressed in any way.

7. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

I love Gamer-fics in Harry Potter and Naruto, but cant stand if anyone other than the main character finds out about the video game, and I also cant stand min-maxing.

I have yet to be properly satisfied with a gamer fic, but I love them nonetheless.

8. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

This is a sub-genre that I literally had no idea existed until last week, when I found an absolutely batshit Star Wars/Gamer SI. I vacillated between fascination and revulsion at the concept. I'm still not sure I actually liked it, but I did read it all the way through. Got any links to a good HP one?

9. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

10. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

11. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

I really like extreme angst fics and a Harry with multiple names like Peverell-Slytherin-potter-gryffindor-black and so and so.

12. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

User name checks out.*

*Unless it doesn't. In which case, you have my sympathies.

13. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

The angst one is true, I realised that after reading and re-reading Too far From Home. Definitely one of the most angstiest fics I've ever read.

The second one depends on my mood.

14. thepuzzlingcentaur

thepuzzlingcentaur First Year DLP Supporter

I enjoy evil or Slytherin characters that are written well or at least made with some creativity, fun and enjoyable to read.
    I even read and enjoyed one fanficiton where Hermione becomes animagus at the age of 11 and already had wild sex and knew everything about sex. The story becomes worse and worse as it progresses until even I couldn't read it anymore.
    I insulted an author of one great but unfinished fan fiction because I was furious that it wasn't finished. HOW DARE HE NOT ENTERTAIN ME!!?!!??! was a summary of my comment. He responded and I felt like a piece of shit that I am.
    Sometimes I enjoy reading the most perverted fic I can find, even if I am not into it. It is just....fascinating. I get a good laugh of it.
    I love it when characters have experienced some kind of horrid pain that still haunts them. I am not even sure why.

15. SeverusTheKnight

SeverusTheKnight First Year

I still haven't read any fanfiction that's better than canon.

16. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I keep going back to Rorschach's Blot for my fix.

17. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I feel like I have grown out of the HP fandom and haven't read anything in years that was not xover or something I was already following and even those have dropped to almost nothing.

Most of the stories just feel childish now.

18. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I will read absolute trash, for far longer than I should, so long as it's either a stupidly long work, or the characters are happy and get a good ending. I have and will drop otherwise-good stories if the main characters start dying or just having a shitty time.

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

The very first iteration of Team Seven's Ascension up on ff.net was a full-blown powerwank. It got deleted in favor of the current version, and luckily no one remembers (hopefully).

I have written smut for self-gratification as well as fanfiction, but I have also come to realize that this kind of writing while fun in the moment is nothing I'd put in my stories these days, given that it's of a pretty sub-par quality. Once, I edited a scene like that a few days later and cringed super hard at what I'd written. I like it much more to tease possibilities and then let the reader's imagination do the rest with a scene cut.

I have read a Riddle/Harry fic because I liked the plot.

Despite their oftentimes inferior quality, I do like gamer!fics.

I haven't seriously read fanfiction (except contest entries on this site) for two or three years now, even though I'm still writing it.

I'm secretly jealous of Menace's writing skills and am actively looking for a way to take them from him. I can't help but feel that combined with some proliferate writing and consistency that'd be a crazy good result.

20. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

You'd be wrong. I remember references to "the Hakate", "the Uchiha" and "the Uzumaki" and was quite surprised at the rewrite when I revisited it.