1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction Confessions

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Aug 9, 2020.

1. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Definitely. Just as there's a difference between quality of writing and a 'bad' story.

On a similar note, I confess that I don't rate a story as 1/5 unless it's absolute trash--meaning that it fails at every level. If a story is clearly written by someone who has a grasp of the language, a half-way decent idea, and a sincere intent, I can't give it a 1/5 no matter how much I dislike the premise. I wouldn't give any of the popular stories in the fandom a 1/5. If they were truly that awful, no one would read them, let alone like them. The true 1/5 stories are ones we've never heard of.

2. HeirGaunt

HeirGaunt First Year

My Immortal has entered the chat again.

3. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

My Immortal is a whole ass gem in unintentional( or intentional?) Comedy. That fic gave me a lot of laughs.

4. Layzer

Layzer Squib

I mean it's an objectively well written fic.

5. ExperiencedGamer

ExperiencedGamer Fourth Year

I didn't use my usual username on DLP because I didn't know what to expect and whether I'd be an active member here. (I had had a bad impression of DLP because of the bashing of old, especially Ginny bashing.)

6. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I originally made this account to see the last couple of chapters of santis fic. Than I promptly forgot about it. Still haven't read them and by now I would have to re-read the whole thing, which I don't want to.

7. Lord Rettop

Lord Rettop Muggle

We’ve practiced HP & HG role play with my gf and she referred me as “my lord” in the process. Yep, you’ve got it right. That is the reason why I’m filtering out all fics with this pairing.

8. Odin

Odin Squib

Not HP related but ASOIAF fandom should have more high quality fics than it does atm, feel like the general standard of HP fics is better than ASOIAF fics.

9. fire

fire Order Member

It'll mainly be just a numbers game (i.e. only a fraction of all fics are good, but the HP fandom is so much bigger that it has more good fics, which will tend to be recommended - and these are what you see).

However, I do agree with your impression, and I think it's *possible* that ASOIAF has a higher proportion of poor fics, if only because of the TV show (i.e. there are a lot of people who got into this through HBO's GOT, but who don't read a lot on a regular basis, and their writing will be correspondingly poor compared to the average high-volume reader).

It'll be a similar phenomena to why Percy Jackson fics were always so much worse compared to (say) RWBY - the demographic for the former (middle-school/YA) just can't write for nuts compared to the latter's (YA/adults).

10. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Ok then ig. I just filter it because it's shit.