1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction.net stats...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by nonjon, Jan 4, 2006.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think I'm going to be renaming it. Brand identity and all that. 147 people subscribe to it. I had no idea there were that many freaks out there.

Although if I could get away with it, might be worth renaming it to something like "Slashy goodness without the cocksuckers and rugmunchers!" or "The Secret Diary of Ginny Weasley: Why won't I die?" maybe "Draco's so cute, I've got a shotgun in my mouth and I'm sucking as hard as he is!"

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Or how about a normal name you SICK FREAKS! Hahaha. :p

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

ROFL! You're genious. That should be this site's moto. :)))))))))

4. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

My stories in that 'Eating Cucumbers Without Permission' one as well. There's only that and the 'Slash, Vampiros y Veelas' that strike me as odd. The first one for the name more than anything, I think it's someones favorites list. Never been brave enough to go into SVV so I ain't sure what I'll find in there.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I went in a found a few good ones. I'm in all those ones you people mentioned... isnt that strange? :p

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... Mine are in those as well... save for Nonjons... and i cant see why not... it had such a lovely portrail of snape in one chapter...

and why the hell is my story in a slash archive >_<

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

8. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Back on topic...That counter reset pissed me off! Here's me just about to hit 100,000 hits when I find I'm back on 56!

Anyway, I'll reveal my stats. Great topic btw.

Reviews: 1301
    Hits: 55098
    c2's: 64
    fave's: 393
    alerts: 292

You are on the favorites list of 197 members.

You are on the author alert list of 436 members.

Wierdest c2s? Warhammer's Revenge, I, Sirius Orion Black, Marauder and Sex God...Shut up, Moony..., He really is just a snarky greasy git, DH: The Best Slash Out There!, Eating Cucumbers Without Permission.

They just keep getting stranger and stranger!

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Uhm... Woah... :puke: Thats....bad... Why are slash C2s adding obviously not-slash fics?

10. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I honestly don't know but as long as reviewers don't start calling for Harry to snog the brains off Frank or Sirius or someone, I don't really mind. Just found it bizarre.

11. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Words: 174,732
    Chapters: 18
    Reviews: 109
    Hits: 4,442
    C2s: 3
    Fave's: 57
    Alerts: 37

You are on the favorites list of 10 members.

You are on the author alert list of 42 members.

Quite sad no? Considering the fic has been up for a little over a year now...

12. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Its ff.net dude, if you got flames from DLP that be something to be ashamed of, but having slashers avoid./.not favourite your fic is by no means a sad occasion.

13. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

yeah, but FictionAlley.org won't even except my story. Friggen Pricks.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Really? Pfft... thats weird.

Just look at Midknight's story. It's a lot better than most out there but it doesnt get very many reviews compared to some of the utter shit you find.

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I guess it all depends on several things.

If you bring out a Azkaban!Harry when that's the 'in' thing then its going to get heaps of reviews. I remember when they were new and it became the new craze. Some were utter shit yet got heaps of people reviewing them.

Then there are the pairings... after HBP, if you bring out a Harry/Ginny story thats medicore at best, it'll probably get a lot of reviews because a lot of people have 'jumped' ship after the last book, giving it more fans and therefore its in 'demand' as it were. It was like that after GoF for Harry/Hermione.

Originality, surprisingly, doesnt do so well. People around here love it but on the grand stage of things? Well... for some reason most of them like reading the same old shit different day... I can't understand why. There are the ones out there that like new ideas but they are far and few between.

Those are some reasons I guess... even if they are stupid ones.

16. True Story

True Story Third Year

Adoring sounds a bit too......queer for my taste.....I preffer...Loyal.

17. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

18. nonjon

Reviews and response people tend to assume, that if 5000 people read every chapter of similar story A, then they should also like similar story B. But it's not that simple.

Truly intelligent fics will come off as elitist, because there's a lot of young people and a lot of stupid people in the world. Slash fics are a hard sell with a lot of anti-slash fans. For that reason, the slash fans are a lot more rabid about reviewing and yaying all the manlove. Trying to please everyone usually ends up backfiring with a 'nothing special' sort of story. The most popular authors or stories with the most reviews are typically better than the average story without as many fans, but certainly not through an absolute. Some of the best fics don't get the recognition etc... Half the time being a popular author's friend and getting their recommendation will help more than say writing better.

As for poor Vash and Midnight and their fics absence from the greasy git C2, I must meekly and quietly admit to not really liking Evil!Harry stories. Dark!Harry doing what needs to be done, and maybe taking a tiny bit of sick pleasure is cool. But straight up evil, torturous Harry ain't my cuppa. I'm well aware Lord Serapheth is an excellent writer, but his fic too, just not my cuppa. I know, I know... blasphemy. But enh... what can you do?

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I agree on the intelligent fic part. I get bitched at in reviews sometimes for using advanced vocabulary. I refuse to cater to stupid people. I don't think my language is THAT complicated, anyway. And I resent that. My Harry has never tortured a soul aside from a Crucio on Bellatrix (and Kreacher too). You just can't stand Cho. :p

I don't see him as irrevocably evil either. He's more like Napoleon with a little Stalin mixed in. He has good egalitarian ideas, but is absolutely ruthless in advancing them. His vision for the wizarding world's well-being is the only correct one as far as he's concerned, and will accept nothing else. In the end, he does want to change the world for the better, but thinks that only he can deliver the best future for everybody. Compare that to people like Fudge who are only out for themselves and people like Voldemort who desire sheer destruction (at least in my story) and Harry doesn't seem TOO bad IMO.

20. nonjon

Err... right. I didn't mean to imply yours was evil!Harry (though for some reason I was thinking you had gone that direction).

I was merely saying it's not a fic that works for me, even though I'm aware it's a far better than average, well written fic.

Too much sex/love sun/moon predestined matches for Harry. That and a graphic handjob from Cho was when I realized it wasn't for me. So perhaps not holding my interest is a sign someone's fic is succeeding where they want it to. I mean I like Harry/Ginny on occasion. :twisted: