1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Levi, May 3, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

WEll.. dumlbie does ignore the snape's faratism and minor verbal lashings in the book somewhat.. but some people just take it way to far like you said... but sometimes its just instinctual... char-bashing is that way for me ... it was hard for me to write the last Love Hina fic i did without making Narusegawa Naru a complete utter psychotic bitch, but ive managed to tame it down a bit... some people just dont know they do it... i didnt until a friend pointed it out

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I plan on taking character bashing to an art form. Hermione being sprayed with dog pheremones and placed in a locked room with a "Breeding" ready Hellhound (Fluffy) is character bashing to the max! (i'm actually doing something similar to this with her)

Snape I think i'm going to have him coved in Wd-40 so he's totally greasy and slips off of everything, eventually falling over the Hogwarts stairs on the 6th floor.

3. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

wow

4. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

*blinks* well damn

5. Midknight

6. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i just thought of another thing why is harry like 85% of the time the richest wizard in the world

7. Antivash

cause its bad authors attempts at realizing their dreams?

8. Midknight

I'd say he's loaded. You don't exactly see middle income families with trust funds. Not to mention his dads from a old pureblood family, and most of them except for the no-birth-control-using Weasley family.

9. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

yea but why the richest of the rich? why not just rich?

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

To make up for their lack of writing, they add other elements to make their stories more interesting. In one of my fics (EoH) I plan to make the Potter family well off, but still modest in comparison to the Malfoy vault for example, then the Criterion vault will grow due to compound interest, but it will be largely used in funding ventures and businesses in history.

11. Midknight

Aye I concede that point. Mad rich, but not Super, sick, rich.

My reasoning for his wealth in Traitor's is: Noone's pulled anything out of it for about 20+ years, several things in there are antiques he sells, he flat out kills Death Eaters and takes their stuff via a bribery deal with the Goblins , and a few other cool things.

12. Antivash

o_O ... killing death eaters and stealing their things? ... interesting!

But yeah... too many people use mand stupid sick rich harry ... its a reall annoyance...

13. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Yeah, and top of that, he then starts spending money lavishly on the tarts (GW/HG) he is dating. Buying necklaces, bracelets and stuff. It become all to smushy. Err... is that a word? I think mushy is tho. But I hope you understand what I mean.

14. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

alrighty new pet peeve.... how come authors decide to make Harry rich (wait for it please) and then when he asks Griphook (WHY IS IT ALWAYS HIM?!) for his balance he says something around.... 9000000 Galleons 185000 Sickles and 87234642 knuts...... WHEN YOU GET YOUR BANK ACCOUNT STATEMENT DOES IT SAY 10$ and 38517209458610945293 cents?!!!! NO IT DOESNT!!!! THERE ARE 17 sickles to a Galleon and 29 knuts to a sickle... the ONLY balance that would be given by the goblins would have sickles and knuts LESS THAN 17 and 29 respectively!!!!..... :evil: :evil:

i'm still mad...maybe i should go for a nap

15. Midknight

Yeah I've seen that myself, lol. And here i thought I was the only author anal enough to track down the conversion rate, heh.

16. Antivash

>_> yeah.. thats a true pain... and i think i might have mentioned a goblin in my fic, if i did i know it wasnt griphook... hes alwasy in those bad fics as people so royally uncreative it isnt funny and are too lazy to create a new character to use once... ive got a family in Lost that might only be in this one chapter but ive got an entire background for each character already... >_> and they already said golbins look similar I THINK dont quote me on that cuz i could be wrong... so why not just make up and name and leave the appearance an assumption?

17. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Hmmm... There can be one way to explain it. When it comes to us, we don't have vaults as such. The wizards have vaults to store money, real money. Whatever our account shows is actually in it, but not physically present. But for the wizards it is physical or rather solid amount. So if you deposit 16 sickles, it isn't a galleon yet and in a similar way, 28 knuts don't make a sickle. So the amount increases physically. Also, it may increase due to the interest. It doesn't get converted as in our case. So IMO, they just store everything as it is.

And remember what Harry saw the first time he went to Gringotts with Hagrid.

So, I think it is possible, but an amount like a trillion sickles and knuts is ridiculous.

18. Lord Ravenclaw

Unfortunately this happens in so many stories that its not even funny...

19. Midknight

I'm gonna have to add whole fanfiction SITES to this list.

Fanfiction.net's search engine is crappy, but good enough to use. It'd be a world better if you could refine your search to exclude fics under a certain word length when you use the main search engine.

Other sites I won't even dignify with a name have search engines so defunct they may as well take them down.

One site for example, had a search engine that would give you any instance of the word you're search for per each story AND SUB CHAPTER of that story, with NO way to ONLY look at the summaries. Searching for something like Harry and Hermione would give you a million finds, b/c it'll find each chapter of each story that has the words Harry and Hermione in it, lol

And harrypotterfanfiction.com 's search engine either tells you there is no story that contains the either words, Harry Azkaban in them in the summary. Even though i just came across a story that did indeed have that in it's summary.

It seems like you have to have an exact phrase you want to look for to even have a hope of finding a story there. Yet searching through them individually with all these stupid banners in the way.. ug.

20. Lord Ravenclaw

I have the "premium account" at FF.net (for the enhanced search) but for over two months now its been "Down for repair". I sent them an email already a few weeks ago, I think its time for another scathing email.

Not open for further replies.