1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Levi, May 3, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

o_O ... i dun think id actually pay to have the premium account at FF.net... just .. doesnt seem worth it really...

2. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Yeah, I agree too. I wouldn't dish out my hard earned money to those at FF.net seeing all the stuff that they pull. Some of their policies are just plain ridiculous.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ive helped with a few stories that got pulled for no reason other then some reviewer complained b/c the author replied in a mean manner to a remark they made.

I've seen a story pulled for sexual situations when the story contained nothing more then a minor french kiss. It's like the idiots don't read to check, they just pull it.

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Which is why PatronusCharm will have a large moderation staff, who are required to validate claims.

5. Midknight

Nice I'm a firm believer of if you don't like it, stfu and move on. Some ppl in this world though =( just have to cause drama no matter what

6. Lord Ravenclaw

As am I, though I try to change things to my liking as well...Slytherin personality I suppose. Once I get Patronus Charm off the ground (might be a while, I need programmers to help me take on the project) I'll be inviting moderation staff from here onto there.

7. Midknight

I'm sure you'll have the support of a great many authors. ANYTHING is better then the crappy system at FF.net.

My number of reviews and available chapters change depending on if i'm looking at my author page, what chapter in the story i'm on, the search engine result, etc. VERY annoying. I won't even go into how long it took for the damned summary to display write. Seriously screwed up coding in there somewhere methinks.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

With a team of good coders PatronusCharm should be able to surpass FF.Net, and be totally dynamic in technology.

9. Midknight

Peeve: People that have named their stories after a real canon book.

If i see one more HP & the Half-Blood Prince/OOtP/PoA/GoF/Green flame torch, , I'm seriously gonna spew, and I don't mean house elves.

And adding onto the his mom is a pureblood: Using the Potter, Black and RANDOM Mom's name, to sit on the Wizard court.

10. Antivash

*nods* ive got to agree... totally annoying... i dont think it would be TOO annoying if they wer well written, but most of them suck pretty bad..

11. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Well you can't expect each and every fic to be exemplary. There are always gonna be bad eggs among the lot. Unfortunately, we have more bad eggs than good ones.

12. Antivash

eh.. yeah.. its to the point now, where i consider proper grammar and spelling [not that i have any room to talk] and a halfway decent and halfass planned story are the only qualifications to well written... but most of them have horrible grammar, bad spelling (as many of mine do), no plan or story what so ever... its like people are just running through other fics and pulling ideas and slapping them together in places that shouldnt go together or sometihng >_>

13. Lord Ravenclaw

Two words: Voldermort, Hedgwig

14. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Adding on to Ravenclaw's post....

Stupify!

Exepellirams!

Grignods

Private Dr.

15. Midknight

I agree, there are I think 2 that pull it off greatly, but fall into traps of Ginny/God!Harry, or make everything else enormous cliches.

They do start out well though, with Harry subverting loyalty from Dumbles using his votes, and makes allies.

There is one more that is incredibly great, but for the life of me I forget the name, and don't feel like sorting through over 300 bookmarks in Firefox atm..

16. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

I dont think i did mine too badly :oops: *hides in corner*

17. Lord Ravenclaw

I like the political type of story only if its good, too many authors write bad politics and such.

18. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Overuse always ruins stuff. You may have had decent fics in the beginning, and even a couple now, but the rest are like those that you wouldn't keep in front of your eyes for more than a few seconds.

19. Midknight

I like the way you did Witches, except for a few things.

-X-over with Charmed. This just does not work for me *shrug* Good luck with it though.

-The Weasels as warriors... Eh, Bill and Charlie maybe, the rest, nada.

-The whole vengance line was a good touch, but way too stylized, for Harry and Hermione to somehow know about the pureblood customs.

-There are also a few spots where it's either not clear what's going on, or it doesn't flow from one chapter to the next.

Other then that I do like the caste system very much, and putting Malfoy in his place like that was great.

20. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

thx lol...i'm trying to fix that whole flow thing as we speak...i've noticed it and it makes me mad...i like writing...but editing sucks ass and my beta's gone MIA :roll:

Not open for further replies.