1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Well, all I am looking forward to now is seeing Jude Law with a huge chestnut beard. I am very hopeful that Law will make a fine Dumbledore. He has certainly shown the required degree of sophistication in his previous work. Him (potentially) sparring verbally and physically with Johnny Depp should be fun to watch as well.

Ultimately, I'm just glad they didn't go down the route to the Uncanny Valley and put a younger Michael Gambon's face on some poor bloke's body (even though I am a fan of his work as Dumbledore – oh, come on, don't look at me like that).

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm sure it's something most noticed much earlier, but I needed Jude Law in the cast to do the same. It wasn't the first time when Colin Farrell and Johnny Depp played the same character. They both played in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Jude played the same character too, three of them replaced Heath Ledger.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've heard reports that he's locking himself away in seclusion in preparation for the role. He seems really committed to getting into character for this one.

Staff at the hotel he's supposedly staying in London have claimed to hear, "DID YA PUT YEAH NAME IN THA GOBLET" echoing through the halls at all hours.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Ewan McGregor as Dumbledore would have gotten me so hard.

5. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Well we are talking about Dumbledore here :)

Do we know who is directing the upcoming movies? I hope it's not David Yates i am sick of this guy he has no vision, no flare, no creativity a franchise like HP surely can attract some better directors.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A thousand pardons. I misread the thread title. I was sure it pertained to the FB sequel, not the narrower issue of Dumbledore casting.

7. kira and light

:facepalm Dude do I really have to spell it out, you are saying he plays a good manipulator I say we are talking about Dumbledore here ( who in canon is a good manipulator and in fanon the biggest manipulator behind the creation of Voldemort, sending the Weasleys trying to steal Harrys money and keeping him on the "light side" and the mastemind who is responsible that Sirius didn't get his trial)

Dumbledore = good manipulator

Meaning he can probably pull of a good Dumbledore

I am not saying we should just talk about Dumbledore here if this is what you're thinking :confused:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. ScottPress

High Score:
    It seems there's been a miscommunication. I didn't mean that Jude Law can play a good manipulator in reference to Dumbledore = manipulator, it was in reference to Grindelwald = manipulator, which was, I thought, a rather clear that implication in my post.

9. kira and light

.... i got what you were saying i was just jokingly saying that if you wanted him as Grindelwald because he can pull off a good manipulator he already seems perfectly cast as dumbledore because he is a great manipulator (the master manipulator by fanon)

It isn't particulary funny and maybe I wrote it strangely but I don't think it is that hard to get I even underlined the part of the post

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Actually, I didn't get the joke. Nevermind.

11. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    To be honest, I'd be thrilled had it been the other way around. If Colin Farrell played Grindelwald who transfigured himself to look like Percival Graves (with the face of Johnny Depp). Farrell, in my opinion, acted just like Grindelwald is supposed to. Patronizing, authoritative, charismatic and with an air of mystery.

But Jude Law as Dumbledore? Haven't seen much of him, but based on what little I've seen, it struck me as an odd choice for Albus Dumbledore. The first thing I thought upon seeing him was: "Okay, why the heck do they cast someone who a) looks younger than Newt Scamander to play someone his former teacher and b) is a that much younger than the man playing Grindelwald, who's character is slightly younger than Dumbledore". Sure, makeup and costume and good scripting can do much, and Depp still look quite well for someone in his early fifties, but I just... AAAAh, he just didn't fit with my vision of young Dumbledore at all. I shouldn't count all the owls before they have landed, so I should wait and see, but still... *Sigh*

They did the same with Newt's brother: Callum Turner has been cast for that part in the sequal... Why the heck would the guys behind Fantastic Beasts cast someone who looks about half the age of Eddie Redmayne to play the latter's older brother? Sure, Redmayne is only in his mid-thirties, so he isn't OLD or anything, but a 35 year old tend to look more grown up than a 28 year old, and in light of this not being some amateur theatrical production where "everything goes"... I mean - seriously. Rowling's revealed Newt's family is "not impressed" with his career in the 1920s, so why not cast someone old enough to be patronizing if need be? Why cast someone almost nine year younger than the person to whom we are supposed to believe he's an older brother? If I find that Theseus Scamander's appearance is not some kind of flashback, someone ought to a) get fired or b) turn their brains on.

12. Redsayn

Redsayn Slug Club Member

So it looks as if we're getting a Dumbledore-Grindelwald flashback; my money's on it including the duel that killed Ariana.
    https://www.pottermore.com/news/ope...antastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-sequel

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If it's 16-18 years old versions then I'm surprised they aren't planning to simply de-age Deep and Law digitally as is popular these days.

14. bbodysplash

bbodysplash Third Year

Didn't they de-age Depp in the new Pirates movie? From what I saw in the trailer that turned out alright.

Also I really don't want to know who killed Ariana, so if they do include the duel I really hope they leave it as a question.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Even though Dumbledore hints that her death was a direct consequence of Grindelwald's magic in DH, I'm fairly certain JKR has enough sense to keep things partially vague.

If the chaos of the Credence-Newt-Grindelwald underground encounter is anything to go by, I personally suspect Ariana will go obscurial-mode during the duel and she'll be hit by colliding/deflected/combined spells.

16. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

Not to mention the amount of SLASH fanfiction that would have spawned.

17. bacchanal

bacchanal Squib

High Score:
    I can't properly articulate how funny I find the idea of a young, sexy, Jude Law!Dumbledore.

I disagree about Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Grindelwald, though. He looks too...bro-ish for how I imagine Grindelwald. I don't really get a 'trickster' vibe from him.

18. Silentroyalty

Silentroyalty Squib

High Score:
    I think there will be a rather large amount of people quite angry if they decide to go the explicit route. Revealing mysteries isn't always the way to go, and especially the mystery surrounding Ariana's murder is something that should be kept as hush-hush as possible.

And if Dumbledore turns out to be the one to send the killing blow, there will be a spontaneous combustion on my part.

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  20. Politz

Politz Guest

Not specifically about the sequel but its always confused me as to how "Graves" doing wandless magic didn't tip anyone off that oh maybe this guy isn't our auror captain. Maybe in the second movie we learn Graves was retarded powerful too but I doubt it. I could be wrong but in canon the only people who do wandless magic are Dumbledore and Voldemort, unless you count Harry's lumos in OoTP. Just always felt like it should've been a red flag for the Americans when out of nowhere he could do it.