1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Why do people keep expecting TWT to write anything lmao

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's how I get my jollies man. Post ideas that people are keen to see more of and then go back to my one fic that nobody reads.

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A Newt that is driven by the need to abolish the statute of secrecy so magical creatures can live in the open? Care of mavical creatures becomes mandatory fheough all seven years of school and every wizard has to carry a familiar by law.

This. Fucking. Works.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Second bit he wouldn't care for - much more likely for there to simply be more checks and balances on how wizards might treat a familiar, and a cultural shift for those with impressive/difficult to manage beasts to be viewed as impressive. Still, sounds like the plot bunny thread is calling you...

6. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    Do you guys think there's a chance it will flop? If it flops then there won't be a third movie, will there?

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Everything suggests it will make a lot less money than most predicted it will. The next weekend will allow for better predictions, but at the moment it's probably not going earn more than $200m in the US compared to $234m from the previous one. I would even say it will be closer to 150m than 200m too. The worldwide box office will be worse too, I would say about $700m from $814m.

What does it say about the next one? It's definitely going to happen, but if it does end up like Transformers or Pirates films, with each one getting less and less money, the fourth one may be a little problematic for WB. They definitely will want HP brand to continue on the big screen, but like Disney with Star Wars, they will need to find what will actually make money for them.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Good points. Allow me to add a bit of fortunetelling.

According to BoxOfficeMojo, TCOG has already made over $250m worldwide, and I‘d be surprised if it finished with anything considerably less than $750m. While that would still be at least $64m less than the original FB film, I would ascribe those $814m more to an inflated total for said original, due to it being the first Wizarding World film in over five years at the time.

This is pure conjecture, of course, but I guess anything above $700m would be considered as doing alright for these films, since it‘s not quite Potter, after all, and Fantastic Beasts doesn‘t (yet) have the name recognition of either its 'parent' or other major franchises.

I’d also take into account that the actual box office is but one number to measure the overall long-term success of a film. There‘s also the screenplay, the theme parks and other vast amounts of merchandise to consider, and that‘s before DVD, Blu-ray & download sales. Even if Warner didn’t see a single cent of royalties from all of that (as if), these numbers would still play a part in their internal analysis.

And even if some executive at Warner should entertain the idea of cancelling these films despite what I imagine are existing and reasonably binding contracts, can you imagine the shi(r)tstorm from Potterheads that would conjure up? It would be a PR disaster on a scale that I can‘t imagine they‘d be willing to risk as long as the films don‘t actually lose money. Even if we’re generous and put the tipping point at around $500m, that would take a lot of effort for everyone involved.

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the best example we could probably look to wold be WB's response to all the issues with the DCEU. Warner has shown no indication of stopping their DC movies, but there are changes in management and a ton of chaos behind the scenes as they try to work out what projects to go forward with and who's in charge.

It does help that Fantastic Beasts isn't quite as Cinematic Universe-y as things like the DCEU, in that there's a lot more of a time gap between the films coming out. One of the big issues plaguing the DCEU has been that their next movie is already deep into production by the time they see the reception to the current release, leading to lots of frantic attempts to course-correct in post. Fantastic Beasts doesn't have that issue nearly as bad, considering the tentative release date on the next one is two years down the line.

10. Simba

Simba Second Year

Can anyone explain to me why Dumbledore would see himself and Grindelwald making a blood pact in the Mirror of Erised? Surely that isn't his deepest desire? What happened to him holding a pair of socks?

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The socks thing was clearly a lie, people figured that out in deathly Hallows. Are you gonna tell some eleven year old kid that your deepest desire is to get drilled by magical Hitler?

Nah man, you'd want socks too.

But in case you want an actual answer I imagine that was a moment where they were so very close and Dumbledore longs for the memory of that moment when everything was simple, clear and they were closest.

12. Simba

Simba Second Year

Lol I was joking about the socks. But I thought they simply used the mirror as a plot point to show the pendant/necklace. You'd think Ariana would feature in the mirror and if he did see Grindelwald it wouldn't be them making a blood pact.

13. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    I just watched this and holy shit this was a mess, worst movie I have seen in a long time and by far the worst HP universe movie. There are so many characters that are underused, so many confusing plot lines. Also, Depp wasn't as good as some people say, he seemed to me like he was drunk the entire time. (although I expected even worse from him I guess)
    The only good thing was the special effects which were admittedly impressive. I hope that at least the third movie will be better.

14. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

By the way, a question for everyone here, but am I the only one who thought that assistant lady Newt has at his house in the beginning was suppose to be a young Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank? I mean, the script refers to her as Bunty, but for all we know, that might be a nickname.

Might be just me, but that was my first thought when I saw her.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure Newt called her Bunty.

16. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I know, but like I said, that could be a nickname for all we know.

17. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I saw it last night, and all in all I liked it. It had its problems, and it was way too interested in setting up the next movie, but overall I enjoyed it.

Am I the only one that thinks Grindelwald is lying about Credence being a Dumbledore?

1. Even ignoring what Canon says about when Albus' parents died (because this movie chucked a lot of Canon out the window anyway), the ages would still make no sense. Albus is at least 20 years older than Credence, and that is quite the age gap.

2. It's possible Credence is Albus' nephew, maybe even from an aged-up Ariana*, but then why would Grindelwald specifically claim Credence and Albus are brothers? Wouldn't it make more sense to say Albus "killed" his mother as motivations to hate Albus?

*They did mention her in the movie, and it would make sense for her to be an obscurus too. Although they did specifically mention how unusual it is for an obscurus to live as long as Credence, and there would be uncomfortable questions about who the father is.

3. How would Grindelwald even know Credence was a Dumbledore? He spent the last movie looking for an obscurus in general without even knowing the gender of the kid. Maybe he did some digging after he escaped, but how would he figure out something like that?

5. Grindelwald is already lying to Credence by claiming Albus wants to kill him. Of course Albus wouldn't do that, and Grindelwald must know that. So why wouldn't he lie about other stuff if it meant gaining an important ally?

So yeah, I think this is just Grindelwald manipulating Credence to ultimately kill Albus.

18. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Yeah, I thought this at first. That Grindlewald was just rolling with the punches.

But then, what about Fawkes, sitting proudly behind Aurelius at the end there?

19. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Maybe Fawkes is just a red herring, and phoenixes don't actually care whether or not he's a Dumbledore. For all we know, Fawkes is just being nice to the first human to show him any real kindness.

20. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Aside from the fact that I don't recall the phoenix being named(I may have just missed it, if it was), it could also have easily been an illusion. Otherwise, they ret-conned the hell out of the life cycle of a phoenix. It's not like Credence needed any specific aid in that exact moment, in order for the 'Dumbledore Phoenix Legend' to manifest itself, presuming he even actually is a Dumbledore.