1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would retcon some things, but I'd rather have Credence revealed to be Fleamont Potter :D

2. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Credence Dumbledore wouldn't necessarily have been a bad thing, if not for the fact that I do not really care at all about Credence and barely had any investment in his journey to find his parents.

Like I guess I kinda pitied him in the Fantastic Beasts 1, but I didn't exactly wonder who his parents were, so Fantastic Beast 2 starting out assuming you care, was off putting.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My lack of hype is very real. And that makes me sad. I want to be excited about HP.

I feel like that pitch is the only reason the second movie actually got made. It is all a setup, albeit a sloppy one, for an Albus/Gellert confrontation. It would be very odd if they didn't follow through on it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Yes, theres such little hype that this thread didnt even update with the new trailer.
    Supposedly it links up quite well with the leaks
    >Dumbledore tells Newt that he can’t strike Grindelwald because of their blood pact.
    >Grindelwald kidnaps a baby Qilin, a rare magic deer that can see into people’s souls and bows to those who are pure of heart. Newt retrieves another secret baby Qilin.
    >Grindelwald sacrifices the Qilin and uses its blood to see the future, so Dumbledore gives his allies secret instructions so they thwart Grindelwald’s plan.
    >Grindelwald is nominated to become President of Wizards and conspires to rig the election. Credence and Queenie begin having doubts about following him.
    >Theseus objects to Grindelwald’s nomination and is locked up in a prison filled with giant spiders and Newt has to rescue him.
    >Meanwhile, Jacob and Lallie Hicks prevent Grindelwald from assassinating his main political rival, Santos, but Grindelwald frames Jacob for attacking him and gains more support.
    >Kama betrays Dumbledore and joins Grindelwald, while Credence contacts Dumbledore, who reveals that Credence is his nephew, son of Dumbledore’s brother Aberforth.
    >Everyone attends the election in the Himalayans, where the candidates will be inspected by the Qilin.
    >Grindelwald zombifies the dead Qilin so it will bow to him, becomes President, and captures and tortures Jacob, causing Queenie and Credence to expose him.
    >Dumbledore arrives with the other Qilin, which bows to him, and when he declines to presidency, bows to Santos, who becomes President.
    >Grindelwald strikes Credence and Dumbledore jumps in front of the blast, breaking their blood pact. Grindelwald and Dumbledore have a massive battle, but can’t bring himself to kill each other and Grindelwald leaves after everybody rejects him.
    >Credence dies redeemed, Jacob and Queenie reunite and get married, and Newt reunites with Tina, who was too busy to appear until the very end.
    >Dumbledore tells Newt that Grindelwald is not defeated yet and he might have to call upon Newt again in the future before walking away sadly.

My ownly mild interest is provoked by this "President". Interesting new bit of worldbuilding. I hated it at first but im coming around. Just like how houses are sorted by a hat, or contestants are decided by Magic Cup, it makes sense that Election to public office is a little unusual.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    ... President of Wizards? The fuck? Aside from the fact that this is not only a stupid title but, far more damning, a boring and uninspired one, what the fuck? Which wizards? Or is a group of wizards pretending to be holding elections for who's going to lead all the wizards across the world?

What the fuck is this shit lmao. 'President of wizards'. 12 y/o fanfiction.

6. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hope the leak is true because it says that Credence dies.

8. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

Isn't the title suppose to be Supreme Mugwump?

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    It is

10. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

So, I finally cracked and watched TCoG. Yeah, I haven't really been interested in the series.

First things first, let me just say, I fucking hate Credence. He’s one of the worst characters I’ve had the misfortune of seeing, and he has way too much screentime for such a terrible character. He’s a walking McGuffin. Grindelwald sees him as an important tool for reasons that keep changing, even when it makes zero sense. As an Obscuros, he’s too chaotic to wield as a weapon, and as a Dumbledore, he has no real skill beyond supposed “raw power” that apparently runs in the family. His motivations are flimsy, cliched, and uninteresting. He’s pitiable, but not sympathetic, and I don’t care about him or what happens to him at all. In fact, I wish he died in the first movie. Credence sucks.

Second, Grindelwald. I see a lot of people liking his “charisma”. To me he didn’t seem charismatic at all. He’s an albino evul Jack Sparrow with magic. He didn’t put any conviction into anything he said. If I was in the crowd, I wouldn’t believe him. His message is appealing, but not his persona. All the people who opposed him were completely incompetent. The skull bong was kinda cool (and might just tie in to that skull that Voldemort sees when he’s searching for Grindelwald in the mountains, as well as to the Dark Mark) but that’s it really. I really hope that the phoenix he gives Credence in the end is just a transfiguration and not the actual Fawkes.

The Hogwarts storyline was particularly bad. McGonagall was a silly addition (in OotP she says that she was hired about 30 years prior) and completely pointless. The Head of the DMLE coming to tell a teacher to go fight a dark wizard abroad and HANDCUFFING him for refusing is just senseless in every way. Why do the British even care about Grindelwald? He’s causing problems in America and France, not in Britain. It’s not their jurisdiction. Neither is Credence. And the idea that you need to send a particular wizard to arrest a dark wizard because he’s his “equal” is just annoying, and rehash of canon. There’s no reason why an elite team of wizards couldn’t equal Grindelwald.

The Leta storyline felt forced and inorganic, not to mention nonsensical. A foreign wizard is hunting your children, so you send them to America, on a boat, with a trail of names, when you’re supposedly an important pureblood wizard? And then, when one nearly drowns, you just send her to Hogwarts anyway with her real name? What’s the point? Her angst and “woe is me, I’m so evul, I accidentally my brother” is just so cliché and boring.

Speaking of characters I didn’t care about: Jacob (who has zero chemistry with his great lurve Queenie and is only there as an audience surrogate), Tina (what is she even supposed to be doing aside from being a love interest?), Nagini (though the magical freakshow was a neat idea), and that Yusuf guy (please just go away). Queenie is somewhat more interesting because she’s hawt and funny when it comes to the French, but her craziness and sudden defection to Grindelwald were jarring.

I liked the Spirit Cats, but not their implementation. Someone is looking through the Ministry archives? Better unleash monsters upon him right there, no way that could endanger the archives! Honhonhon.

Flamel was an interesting interpretation. I actually prefer him to the usual perfect young genius gentleman he’s portrayed as in fanfiction.

The only thing that was undeniably good about the movie was the set design, but that’s true to all HP films. The scenery really looked gorgeous. Some of the new magic was cool, even if world breaking.

In essence, these films have the same problems as The Hobbit films: lacking focus and direction, trying to expand one simple plot into a cashcow of a franchise, putting more emphasis on special effects than on creating a compelling story.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  11. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    I don't know how to feel about
    the fact that Dumbledore jumping in front of Grindelwald's spell to protect Credence counts as breaking the blood pact. That kind of feels like he's cheesing magic in a way that shouldn't count.

12. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I feel like people are giving this movie series literally endless amounts of leeway in the hopes of eventually getting an amazingly cinematic magical duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

13. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Lol, it's the complete opposite people are looking at each and every snippet of info and are completely shitting on it without even contemplating the thought that it's possible to right the ship.

It's kinda understandable since COG was terrible and characters like Credence suck, but the first movie was good and it's a bummer that people are not going to be fair to this movie at all even though they haven't seen it yet or are never going to see it.

14. ruki88

ruki88 Squib

I do not like Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and gosh darn it!, I had high hopes for it. :(
    Grindelwald: Johnny Depp was miscast. I love him but what were they thinking? I also didn't like the fact they made him
    "weird looking" just because (I suspect) Voldemort was weird looking, they somehow got into their heads that all dark wizards have to be weird looking **rolls eyes**.

Dumbledore: I actually liked Jude Law, though I think everyone is amused how much he changes appearance based on canon movies, lol. The whole blood pact with Grindelwad was stupid. I'm sorry, it's just stupid and a convenient way to explain why Dumbledore isn't fighting his ex friend. In canon books I was under the impression that he postponed the whole thing due to him still having somewhat of a weakness for Grindelwald. I've read the books a long ago so there is a high chance I am wrong; in that case, sorry. But, I liked this idea because it made an interesting dilemma. But sure, blood pact. Whatever.

Credence: another prophecy? Really? And the whole secret Dumbledore sibling - what is this? A mexican telenovela?

I literally don't give two s***s about Leta. Why is she even in this story?

The whole Obscurial thing sounds interesting but at the same time not. It irritated me. I can't explain it.

Nagini. I mean. **sighs** I don't even want to bother with this one.

I've seen the first 2 movies when they appeared and never bothered to revisit or think about them anymore. So I suppose there are a lot I might remember wrong, and I'm sure there are a lot more things I disliked about them, but these are just the ones at the top of my head.

15. Alexx of Arabia

Alexx of Arabia Streetshitter

If she wrote it as a book series she would have had another best seller. The ideas are good but as a movie series it ain't working.

16. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Second trailer has been released.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    So, what's the deal with Jacob, he a wizard now?

18. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Everything is extremely vague and generic in this trailer, so not much to comment on, but I fucking hate the fact that Credence comes even close to Dumbledore in a duel.

19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

One thing is that Wizards appear to have something like the Mirror Dimension now?

20. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Remember, the movie-verse is where Harry goes from not even trying to fight a small group of nameless goons to going toe-to-toe with Voldemort in a straight fight between Deathly Hallows movies. I don't think they care about that kind of logic anymore.