1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Fantastic Elves and Where to Find Them by evansentranced - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Greener, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought it was cutesy and funny, the new chapter.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This describes the entire story. I look forward to seeing if the sequel manages to be cutesy and funny while adding a stronger plot to the mix. :)

3. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Finally got around to reading this. I put it off because, well, the summary made it sound like it would be shitty. I only checked it out because of the overwhelmingly positive response it has gotten. It's surprisingly fun to read. For a lighthearted humor fic, this is top notch. I'm gonna go with 4/5

4. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

Updated and completed. Sequel might be awhile in starting according to the author.

I felt that the end was alright, but I'm kind of annoyed that the author decided to push off having Harry deal with the whole being human thing until the sequel.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I did not like the ending. It was too serious compared to the other parts of the fic, still it will be interesting to see how Harry will react to being human, and other people to him being "elf".

6. Ched

Well... that was a weird way to end it. It does appear to mark the end of Harry's time spent parading about thinking he's an elf, but it doesn't feel like an ending.

Eh, at least it implies that with the sequel we'll be moving into canon territory a bit more. Harry is ten or so and is about to re-enter the world. Just a bit jarring.

7. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

I just read this whole story from start to finish for the first time. I liked it, though the ending didn't really fit with the tone of the previous chapters. Maybe the author's trying to set the tone for the sequel?

I also got pissed off at the author for killing Harry's dog.

Edit: 300th post. That's about 300 more posts than I ever expected to write.

8. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Ended stupidly. If it's supposed to be the end of the first part of the story then it shouldn't have ended with a cliffhanger. It's very frustrating.

9. frantic

frantic Boosted

That ending pissed me off. I mean, it made sense (Harry's scar was always going to give him away) but after how absolutely clever Harry was throughout the story it felt like a copout.

Hope the sequel's good.

10. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

I loved the story as a whole, it was surprisingly well done, but the ending didn't fit at all. I understand Harry having trouble evading the cloaked man, since he's never had to run from wizards before, but the rest was just... strange.

Even excusing the jarring ending and the sudden change in tone, why bother trading for a ferry ticket in the first place? Harry didn't need one to get there, and given his previous behavior, it doesn't seem like he'd bother with such a thing. Yet he walks into a pub and cases the place, making it come across like the ticket was his goal all along. It feels like a crappy attempt to force the plot to move along, and while I can understand why the author did it, the execution feels sloppy.

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Agreed. Feels forced.

12. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Yeah, the ending was unsatisfying. Hopefully the sequel gets finished and wraps up the loose ends.

13. Ched

First chapter of the sequel is up.

I thought it was good -- looks like things are going to start moving along better now that Harry is at Hogwarts. I also like how Harry is characterized. He's not letting anyone control him but he's not telling the adults off or anything either. It was fun.

14. Styx0444

I liked it, but the characterizations of everyone aside from Harry felt off. Dumbledore didn't feel like Dumbledore, Snape didn't feel like Snape. The story as a whole has had this odd, dreamy feel to it so far. It's not that that's a bad thing, but I'm wondering if that'll change with more character interaction.

The author has done well so far with Harry on his own, I hope they can pull off Hogwarts as well.

15. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

It's sort of depressing that I was happy to see Dumbledore be willing to humor Harry somewhat rather than go out of his way to be a dick as he usually does in stories where Harry has an unusual pre-Hogwarts background.

16. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I thought Dumbledore was fairly well done. Snape was definitely off, but we have to take into consideration that he knows from the beginning that Harry was abused/neglected/abandoned/whatever. He still seems no-nonsense, just less antagonistic.

The only thing I didn't like was Harry's sudden change of heart to attend Hogwarts at the end considering how hard he was fighting it at the beginning. Another chapter and more bribery from Dumbledore, would have made the transition a little more realistic to me.

I still like the story very much.

17. Styx0444

It's not that Dumbledore wasn't Dumbledore-y. It just felt like he... Wasn't really there... If that makes any sense. I'm not explaining it very well, and I'm not sure how to get it across. It goes with the dreamy quality I was talking about.

18. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Its very fun, this story. Cute and light-hearted, with some cool world-building.
    To early to give a rating to, though.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This story is alright, funny at times, but nothing mindblowing. Certainly readable though, but not without faults.

20. blueswan142

blueswan142 Squib DLP Supporter

Just wanted to mention to anyone following this story, the sequel is up! It's called The Handbook of Elf Psychology and the first chapter is very comparable to her last fic. I give a 4/5 for displaying such a creative version Harry.... but will probably up the score if she keeps up the fantastic work for Harry attending Hogwarts... right now I don't feel she gets far into the story to really earn a 5/5.