1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Cyclops, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

So UTW decided to actually pick this up and just did episode 0.
    Now we don't have to rely on the dumbshit/colourblind hacks at Crunchyroll for to make word understand good.

2. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Yes, but I'm still salty. Heaven's Feel seems like the best follow up to Zero in my opinion. Combine that with the fact they haven't attempted to animate Heaven's Feel yet and yeah. I will admit Heaven's Feel probably lends itself better to movie format than UBW or Fate, but I will retain my salt.

Wise.

3. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

The best parts about HF are the bad ends, by far, which I don't think would be in any adaptation. Without them I'd still say it's equal to UBW though, because the ending scenes are baller as fuck.

also carnival phantasm is amazing

4. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Aaah yes Carnival phantasm is awesome. I also like how they did portrayed Tsukihime characters there, shame there is no Tsukihime anime tough.

But I suppose we will have to be satisfied with Carnival phantasm even if it just teased us with it.

5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Maybe after finishing both UBW series and Heaven's Feel movies, ufotable will make Tsukihime anime. After all, a remake of the original visual novel is in the works, so maybe Type-Moon will want to use anime to promote the game or vice versa.

6. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    If this is sucessful enough I could easily imagine them funding a Tsukihime anime, which would be great depending on the route they chose.

7. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Give me an adaptation of the manga and you'll have no complaints from me.

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The animation and art in this anime is incredibly fantastic. I'm having a hard time even thinking of the few I could compare it to.

I really, really hope the quality level stays the same. I'd be so let down if suddenly we get a drop after seeing these first two episodes.

9. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've heard Heaven's Feel will be split into multiple movies, ala Kara no Kyoukai. Is that not the case?

10. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

Its what people are hoping for but there hasn't been confirmation as far as I know.

11. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

HF is meant to be the longest route. I just can't see Ufotable being happy with trying to cram it all into a rushed movie like the DEEN UBW adaption.

Wait, you didn't like Rider? =O

There has to be some creative license here, cause if you based it all off historical statues and paintings, they'd all look pretty shit (Gil especially). In terms of Fate Zero and FSN, I think all the Servants were done great *except* Saber.

Just like everything else in FSN, all its problems come back to it being an eroge. Was discussing with Nemrut last night about how much better Rin would have been as a character if she wasn't relegated to Shirou's tag along helper/love interest. She had so much potential and would have been a lot more interesting better if she had stayed an adversary for most of it.

Yeah, she was a great character in Fate Zero. Once again, because her role wasn't there to be the poor soul Shirou managed to save with his love.

I feel the same way. I mean, just scroll through some of the Servants from the other games and be shocked and amazed.

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, the Servants always looked a bit weird. The Lancers tight body suits were always odd and looked futuristic, rather than ancient. All Assassins looked like the most obvious and conspicuous assassins out there, what with the black bodies and the skull masks, completely unable to blend in anywhere unless in pitch-black darkness, at which point you might also be wearing anything else. Gilgamesh is as white as Irisviel a weird Germany themed (what is it with Germans having white hair and sometimes red eyes in anime?) homunculus even though he hails from Bablyon and Saber who had to pretend to be a man is wearing a super obvious dress, if it can be called that.

Then again, we have the in-anime explanation of belief and the Grail shaping the heroic spirits to a certain degree, seeing that the Assassin's must have looked human at some point, and obvious divergences what with Saber and Archer being largely fictional in the first place and Gilgamesh cruising around in a Babylonian spaceship.

That said, didn't really have a problem with most. As Jarik said, creative license is a must there and sticking too close to shitty paintings and statues would have looked like crap.

Just felt it odd that Assassin's looked like they did and really hated Saber's dress. They should have just given her the prototype armor.

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like him as long as I can separate him from Alexander the Great. Even then it's more like I can manage like him in spite of that, I guess.

Creative license is fine and to be expected, but I think more of an attempt at historical (or mythological) accuracy would have made it more enjoyable. Just because it's an anime doesn't mean you have to go all-out ridiculous with shit. Gilgamesh doesn't necessarily need to look exactly like those ancient pictures, but why would you give him the bishonen treatment? F/Z Rider looks closer to how I'd expect Gilgamesh to look.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

But I think one of the things I love about Fate Zero was just how exaggerated the Servants were. The all took extreme personalities at the ends of each spectrum, which were in direct contrast to the more serious and toned down Masters. It gave them this "legendary" feel, and Gilgamesh's visuals worked perfectly with his personality.

Do actually agree with Nemrut about Lancer's futuristic jumpsuit though.

I do think at times more effort could have been taken to introduce more historical facts into it - more than just naming their special attacks with random words from their legends anyway. Just bits and pieces mentioned in conversation or discussed. They didn't lack for opportunity.

15. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Are there any fics out there that go this way? Rin doing her own thing instead of teaming up/falling for Shirou sounds so obvious a divergence that there have to be dozens of stories using that idea floating around, right?

16. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I'd be interested to see them as well. Honestly for me though it comes down to me not liking Rin; well honestly there's rarely a Tsundere character I do like in any kind of anime/manga/whatever.

But it would be a cool idea, I don't think I've seen Rin in any fanfic that wasn't all the way antagonistic.

17. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Well I watched it. And so far, I liked it well enough. The quality is top-notch, meaning that the budget for this series must be ridiculous. Decent atmosphere and fight scenes, impressive visuals, and they've finally updated their clothes. Saber's wasn't that bad but fucking hell did Shirou's shirt look ugly. I simultaneously laughed and cringed though when I heard Rin's voice trying to do German. Even to someone who doesn't understand it, that sounded terrible.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's kinda par for the course with any German in the Fate series, heck, most languages in any anime. It's always translated or worded really awkwardly but it's kinda part of the charm, really. It probably would be shocking to me if they ever managed a correct German sentence and not some sort of "engrish" mess.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They can barely do English, they're not going to do German any better. Evangelion had a few scenes where Asuka was speaking German too.

I'm almost through with the Unlimited Blade Works route. It's much better than the Fate route, but I still feel like it's... incomplete. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Heaven's Feel is the same way; each route has different things revealed, and no one route has everything.

I kind of wish they could write a comprehensive Fate/Stay Night version that has everything put together well. If they needed they could spread it out over another week or two instead of the sixteen days.

Also I kind of saw the Archer = Shiro thing coming. I suspected that they at least shared powers back in the Fate route once Shiro showed he could conjure swords, but we didn't see much of Archer at all in that route.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  20. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Well by the time you finish Heaven's Feel, you'd have gotten the general picture of everything so that wouldn't matter all that much.

And on the talk of languages, I'd say that Archer's voice actor is fluent in English so at least it'd sound legible. None of that "UNRIMITED BRADE WRORKKSSUUUUUUU" you got from the movie.