1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Cyclops, Nov 7, 2013.

1. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Well, duh. It's been only 10 years since the last war (when they're normally separated by 50-60 years) and the participants are (almost) all kids. Rin is competent but hobbled by emotion, Shirou is handicapped by lack of training and his mindset, and Shinji is a headcase (also with no training).

You're comparing them to two magi with decades of experience, the Magus Killer, and a guy with nothing to lose who's been totally corrupted by the Worms.

I'm pretty sure this was hashed over earlier in the thread, but the 4th and 5th grail wars are completely different and really shouldn't be compared.

2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always liked to think that the nature of the Fifth War meant that the Masters were chosen more for their relation to the previous Wars Masters then a true selection of mages.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fate/Zero really seemed to do a better job at making it into a Holy Grail War.

4. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Other than the three heads of family, the grail can select four other participants who would be adequately qualified. Location has no bearing on it either, as F/Z showcases Masters being chosen outside of Japan. I will give that Bazett was adequately qualified and just betrayed by someone who she thought was a comrade and neutral.

Medea however dispatches a bumbling master who wastes his command seals and somehow manages to dispatch another master prior to him being able to summon assassin.

Perhaps the grail plays to the heads of the families advantage, recognizing their weak and therefore dilutes the pool since the overall goal is to have one of them reach the root.

5. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

More like since the grail war is so soon after the 4th, no serious master was willing to jump at it without prepration.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  6. Creticus

Creticus First Year

No one expected it to come so soon. Not to mention that the results of the previous wars speak for themselves.

7. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Fate/Zero wasn't written as a visual novel and designed to engage the player for incredibly long periods of time, with a focus on relationships and character development.

8. coleam

coleam Death Eater

How exactly are they selected? It it ever explained in the Nasuverse? I mean, Shirou accidentally activated an old summoning circle and summoned Saber because
    Kiritsugu had embedded Avalon in him.
    Does the Grail select a group of magi and influence them to attempt the summoning, or does it see who makes the attempt and then decides whether or not they are worthy of competing? If it's the first case, the Grail would have to be able to modify the world and/or chance on a pretty deep level, which - at least in my understanding - should be beyond the scope of its power. The second case seems more likely, and would explain the poor crop of masters: no one was ready.

Also, regarding worthiness, there's also the case of Caster's master from F/Z, who was not a mage and had zero knowledge of magic prior to the War. He just happened to stumble across a book that contained the process for summoning a servant.

9. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Because magic.

If there is an actual explanation in the source, I bet it's changed so many times that people argue about which version is the "true" version.

10. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I was kind of annoyed at Shirou for not summoning Saber when he was in danger. What good is saving those command seals for later if he isn't alive to use them?

Aside from that, I loved this episode. Any time Rin is onscreen is pure gold. Her facial expressions alone always make my day.

11. coleam

coleam Death Eater

That's kind if what I thought - it's just that Merrill keeps talking about how the Grail selects qualified participants and how the participants in the 5th War don't match up to some arbitrary standard. I was hoping he had a source for that rather than just pulling it out of his ass/headcanon.

12. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I summoned Saber in the VN (because I can never tell when a decision randomly leads to you dying), but I guess having Saber come in that scene kind of throws off the Rin/Shiro interaction they were going for there.

13. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

It's really unfair to compare Fate/Zero to Fate/Stay Night though. F/SN was made to sell while F/Z was made to showcase a real Holy Grail War. That's why it was written after F/SN.

Also, F/SN was written to solely focus on character development rather than the Grail War itself. Fate, for Saber's story. UBW, for Rin and more importantly, Shirou's. And last but definitely not the least, is Sakura's and the changes it brought to Shirou's dream about becoming a hero.
    ===============================================

Now regarding with Servant Summoning. It's very easy actually. You only need an artifact that is so intimately close to the wielder that it becomes an anchor for them to manifest themselves from the Throne of Heroes to the real world.

Think of Avalon inside Shirou, or Rin's... necklace. I think Einzbern family used Berserker's sword axe to summon him and so on and so forth.

14. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Actually the stone was from a temple of Heracles, that was the catalyst. The axesword thing was made after he was summoned iirc.

15. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I know how the summoning itself works. I was referring to Merrill's comments on the Grail choosing the masters - i.e. are they pre-selected and influenced towards summoning a servant or is it first-come, first-served?

16. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I think it's first come first serve actually. All of those Masters summoned their Servants as soon as they can. Illya, for instance, summoned hers way before the war even started.

Not every magus is willing to actually participate in the Grail War where the possibility of death is almost certain. That's where I base my thoughts about it.

17. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Are there any sources on this? Because Merrill is implying that the Grail has some sort of say in who gets selected and is consciously choosing the masters.

For the record, I'm personally inclined to believe that it's first-come first-served as well given the selection of Caster's master in Fate/Zero (not a mage, not a member of one of the families, no relationship to any previous participants, no catalysts embedded in his body, no knowledge of magic prior to the War).

18. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

Don't command seals have to appear on your hand before you can summon a servant? I'm like 99% sure that's the case, which would imply the grail does specifically select masters.

I don't know what would happen if a selected master refused to summon a servant though.

19. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

It wouldn't happen. The Grail only tags in people who have a capital-W Wish in their hearts, so they have a reason to participate.

20. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Also, catalysts aren't guaranteed to summon the Servant you intend on summoning, in the class you want.

For Shirou, in his case with Avalon as the catalyst, Saber is literally the only Servant he could have summoned, since only the Saber class was left unsummoned.

Arturia was the closest 'Saber' type hero to the catalyst. Add the fact that Shirou summoned in the same place as last war, was also an Emiya, and the fact that their heroic personalities are so similar, and presto change-o, Shirou summons Saber.

It's very easy to change the scenario, though. For instance, what if Rin hadn't fucked up daylight savings time and summoned Archer as Saber, which, if you know who he is, is extremely fucking possible given his element and origin. That leaves only the Archer class open, meaning Shirou would have no choice but to summon an Archer, catalyst and sympathy magic or no.

Or, what if Caster hadn't been a cheating bitch and stole the Assassin class? Then both the Saber and Assassin classes would have been open for summoning. Normally, it's always Hassan, but with Avalon as catalyst?

If you don't think Shirou could pull Mordred out of a hat, or that Mordred doesn't fit the definition of the word 'assassin', then we're riding different wavelengths. And if he'd summoned Saber anyway, who would have ended up summoning Assassin?

Lots of fun stuff to consider.