1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite PC game

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by DGD, Nov 13, 2005.

1. standard

standard Looked into the void

I briefly tried Rollercoaster tycoon. I found it lacking in entertainment. Starcraft is a good solid game when played online competively. Diablo 2 is a complete waste of time - spending time collecting items is useless. Counterstrike is fun in small amounts, but I find large sessions of shooting boring.

2. Hellsing Boy

Hellsing Boy Second Year

Rpg: Fallout 1&2, Baldur's Gate series, NWN (the campaign included was utter crap, but the moding possibilities are fantastic), Arcanum, Icewind Dale 1&2, Kotor.

Strategy: Age of Empires series, Age of Wonders

Adventure: Pirates!, Broken Sword 1

FPS: Duke Nukem 3d

and of course the GTA series, they're all good!

3. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

My favorite game has got to be EV Nova. It's a space exploration game released by an independent developer called Ambrosia Software. 6 to 9 different storylines, trade routes, customizable ships, what more could you ask for? Only 20 bucks too.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Favorite PC game.. Out of the one's I own right now. it boils down to three games..

Tribes Vengeance
    Fable: The Lost Chapters
    World of Warcraft

Each have something nice about them which draws me to them.

5. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

Diablo
    Diablo 2
    Starcraft

Those are the only games I really play on the computer.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Hmm...

Deus Ex (the original) -- there are literally a million different ways to beat this game. I take great pride in saying that I've done them all.

AOE II + Conquerors: Great strategy game, a bit slow, but nothing beats the satisfaction of winning a marathon 6 hour game and the knowledge that your opponent is crying on the other end of the connection. You can't beat me if I'm England -- it's just not possible. I get a resource base and then slowly kill off my peasants as I enlarge my army. Eventually 50 horsies of various types and 125 longbows = you die quick... Unless you have Teutonic Knights or a similarly armored unit, then I run back to my dual walled base and wait for you to attempt a seige where you lose your entire army getting past the first wall and I lose 200 stone (sometimes less) repairing/rebuilding it. Trebuchets don't work because I have them too + mangonels manning various checkpoints to guard against ground nonranged units. Longbows kill the rest of the seige stuff, and I have Bombard towers for the battering rams.

It sounds like a really noobish "massing" strategy, but the only thing thats ever gotten through the second level was an army of mass elephants (they raped my calvary and my walls but died because my longbows were faster and more mobile... I just set up a chokepoint where the initial wall breach occurred and killed them as they came through -- well that and I made a bunch of pikemen for insurance.

Sorry -- I love my cheap little strategy.

If I'm ever Persian I just mass up on elephants and Cav Archers and use the "meat shield sniper course of action."

Diablo II was too easy, there was no real challenge in it, no matter what difficulty. The original one was much more challenging, at least for me. Warcraft *pick one* takes no skill at all. Starcraft = Zerg Rush + Mass Hydralisks = gg in 5 mins if you're halfway competant with Zerg. If it's a giant map and you're playing Protoss with no rush for 15 mins then you should be unbeatable via photon canon array and then later carriers + 2-5 arbiters.

But it's been a while since I did any SC... Maybe they've patched it to get rid of the rigged stuff, but I doubt it.

7. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

civ fanatic, playing civ 4 right now, trying to decide to wether to buy the expansion pack, civ 4 warlords

8. Dark Lord Shabranigdo

Dark Lord Shabranigdo Fourth Year

Asking what one's favorite PC game is liking asking what one's favorite movie is. The best I can do is to seperate into categories.

Strategy: Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge

RPG: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (The Dark Brotherhood kicks ass!)

Action: Halo (I don't count it under RPGs. Too high action. Best played online.)

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

God I hated Halo. Sacriledge I know -- but it just struck me as an average/mediocre game with no real innovations and a slightly above average storyline.

10. Project Dark Overlord

Project Dark Overlord First Year

Greatest pc game... I would have to say Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, which started my love for RPGs, followed by Fable the Lost Chapters, and Lego Star Wars... I have had too much fun pushing my friends into molten lava in that game... lol, and lastly Baldur's Gate.

11. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As a kid I particularly enjoyed the only games I was allowed to play: education ones. Where in America's Past is Carmen Sandiego wowed me at the time with its 16-color graphics. Of course, soon enough I moved on strategy games including Civilization, Pirates!, and Railroad Tycoon. Although Civ was the best of the set, Railroad Tycoon had its moments, but got a bit monotonous at times.

I still think Civ2 is my favorite of that series, but I've played basically all of them. I also am a big fan of the Heroes of Might and Magic series, although the latest one requires a faster computer than I can afford...

-J

12. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Crimson Skies.

You can't touch that. Don't even try. Crimson Skies is in a league of it's own. No one will ever be able to displace Crimson Skies. No one.

13. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

I can't understand how to play Civilization 2 on the ps1 its so confusing.

BOT: Half-Life 1 It was the first comp. game I played, besides the annoying Oregon Trail education games.

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Heh, that's one hell of a game, but not the best ever.

Oh, and NO STINKING SEQUEL can beat the good old Civilization 1. EVER.

15. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

I remember the first time I finished that game. I'd discovered that you could build railroads on the oceans... :confused:

My favorite PC game over the past few years would have to be Neverwinter Nights. Just not with the campaigns that you bought. The modules you can download and play are orders of magnitude better than the ones shipped with the game/addons.

Of course, every time I see a post from IP82, I get the urge to break out the fallout discs again...

Draco

16. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

Age Of Empires 2

17. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

Fav games would have to be......

The Commander & Conquer series. I always found them great games, especially when they let me hide my army in Firestorm/Tiberian Sun.

Civilization Series. I've only got Call to Power, but it's nice knowing that I can just bomb my enemies from space when they're still stranded in the space ages. :D

My favourite ORPG (Online RPG) is Ogame.

18. Lord Eros

Lord Eros Guest

My favourite game would have to be civilization 4 though warcraft isnt that bad

19. Nenagh24

Nenagh24 Second Year

South, but not too South. Umm... ¿yo hablo español
    My favorite PC game would have to be a really old series called Kyrandia. I loved those games, my favorite of those would have to be Hand of Fate. That title is more corny then most of you might think... A diabolical hand trying to take over the universe! XD It has some really old graphics but their bad jokes still make me laugh!

20. Nytmare

Nytmare Fourth Year

I actually aqree with Haunted Warrior, the Command and Conquer series was and still is one of the best strategy series out there.
    by the way, look out because there is a new Tiberium sun comming out soon!