1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite PC game

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by DGD, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Played Runescape for 3 days got to level 50 Got full addy with rune shimmy did 5 quests tried pvp got bored then switched to WoW and never looked back.

2. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

I have played through many mmorpgs over the years but the one that has caught my attention, and managed to keep me entertained is one that has come out recently called trickster online, good graphics, system and generally an all round good game despite only being in beta.

3. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    I have too go with Starcraft on this one. The best RTS game I have ever played, not to mention everything that can be done with triggers on multiplayer maps. I realize that Warcraft is similar, but I like Sci-Fi more.

4. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Pfft. All you young'uns with your fancy three-dimensional games and crazy multiplayers.

For those people who have been gaming since 1990, I have dived back into the depths of my mind from when computer gaming was actually new and interesting; where the only thing needed to program a game was Paint and some knowledge of turbo basic, and where the most rewarding thing ever was drinking orange crush with no shirt on and yelling at the top of your lungs as you mercilessly slaughtered idiotic opponents with no intelligence at all.

Yes, my friends, I'm talking about the golden age of gaming.

The first game I ever played was a text-based game based around the book 'The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy'. I still haven't beaten this game. I'm aware that it involves collecting pocket fluff somehow; nevertheless, it provides many, many hours of entertainment when I am near a 386.

Oh, and let's not forget Epic Pinball.

Then came the glorious age of first-person shooters - and by first person, I mean you were the first person on the block to own a computer game, let alone a computer. Duke Nukem. Bio Menace. I have had more fun playing Bio Menace as a kid than I have had anywhere else.

I think my favorite game by far, though, is still Lucasarts' Tie Fighter. Being quite a Star Wars fan, there was nothing quite as fun as climbing into a Tie Fighter and blowing the shit out of those Rebel scum. Not only that, but if I completed my bonus mission objectives, going above and beyond the call of duty - I was rewarded by being made a member of the Emperor's secret Order. Plus I could use invincibility. Woot. With the add-on of an editor from the internet (downloaded over four hours with my 14.4 modem), I could make my own missions and battles. Who doesn't want a fleet of Star Destroyers going after a Mon Cal Cruiser? I absolutely defy anyone who has played this to say they didn't like it. Square graphics or not - it was the shit. It defined being the shit.

And then there was One Must Fall. Epic Megagames. Again, who doesn't like the concept of 60-foot robots battling each other for sport? Along with the scantily-clad women, you got money and cooler robots. The bonus? A secret robot, known only as 'Nova'. Oh, yeah. And if you did some stuff - you could fight Jazz Jackrabbit. I always loved beating the shit out of that fucking rabbit.

5. Ham

Ham First Year

Hmm... I've played Diablo 2 on Battlenet for the past 2 years (still play when i can find time.) I quite agree.. it is addicting.

I've also played some Tomb Raider, Need for Speed, Warcraft 2 (years ago), Starcraft and a few others.

My first PC game was Prince of Persia (the B&W version) and Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

I would love to play WoW but it isn't available here yet :(

6. Acelin

Acelin First Year

Probably my fav game of all time for the PC is Age of Empires II: The Conquerors.

7. Thalarian

Thalarian Seventh Year

1st Place Gold Medalist:

Would have to be the RPG Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn, and it's sequel Throne Of Bhaal.

The storyline was incredible, the characters have amazing and in depth personalities (The voice acting wasn't that bad either), and there was so much to do and explore that it really gave great replayability. Graphics were not the best but for some reason I couldn't picture the game any way else.

The amount of classes and characters you could create just made the whole game amazing. Also given that some of the best items took entire portions of the game to obtain, some you could even upgrade past that point, it gave you a great sense of accomplishment when you actually got something done. Not to mention some of the greatest creatures and enemies around.

Add to the fact that there are dozens of online communities that create MODS and NPC Characters (Even to this day, almost 7 years after the fact)+ with voice acting and in depth stories that there was really endless playability. Some of the best characters I've ever played were created by random folks in a forum thread that they put up for download.

2nd Place Silver Medalist:

Would probably have to go to Vampire The Masquerade : Redemption, and the second Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Redemption had quite a good story, as well as amazing graphics (At that time.) The main character (Christof) was compelling and it was awesome to see him go from a White Knight preaching about the good of God and Light, then fall into the darkness and brutality of Vampire Society. The spellwork was phenomenal, especially if you used a cheat to obtain the spells of vampire clans you normally couldn't play as.

Even though the second title was riddled with bugs and glitches, for some reason it was still fun as hell. And had probably one of the most sultry and sexy characters I've ever seen in a video game, Velvet Velour, a.k.a. VV. While she was in fact gorgeous, what did it for me was her voice acting, amazing. A low purr when she spoke that said she could kill you or rape in a moment without care.

3rd Place Bronze Medalist:

This would actually have to go to a Eroge-Japanese PC Novel Game, Fate/Stay Night and it's sequel Fate / Hollow Ataraxia. The only drawback was that even if you're fluent in Japanese, the creator company TYPE-MOON (Or more precise, writer Kinoko Nasu), had a very bad habit of using older, more traditional Japanese language, that made it somewhat difficult to understand for the more modern Japanese speakers/readers.

The story is absolutely unique, and every character is compelling and individualistic. You can't help but be drawn into some of the situations each and every character, whether it be Master or Servant, find themselves dealing with.

There is a lot of heartbreak, tragedy, angst, romance and action sequences. Almost every feeling you could get for a game, this one inspires. There are multiple endings based upon the choices you make, so there are many paths a player can force the main character into. The sequel had an incredible storyline as well, though not quite as good as the first.

Honorary Mentions:

Starcraft and Starcraft BroodWars - THE best RTS ever. Amazing, and I wish Blizzard would get off their asses and make the official sequel. Brood left use hanging with an open ending.

Medieval Total War - Compelling turn based Risk game. Was fun because you could annihilate your Allies without them ever being prepared.

Tsukihime - TYPE-MOON's first official Eroge-Japanese Novel game production. Have yet to play the entire thing but just a mind boggling story.

SimCity - Simply because it's the first PC game I'd ever played and turned me into the closet nerd I am today.

Diablo I and II - Amazing playability and let's face it, fighting hellish demons in bloodsoaked landscapes is a great way to waste time.

Wolfenstein 3D (or Wolf 3D for you older game players)- First FPS I ever got my hands on. 4 simple weapons, and nothing but bloodshed. God DAMN those were the glory days. ^_^

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  8. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

1. Starcraft and expansion.
    It is so fun. Hehe... massing a horde of marines and just send them into the oppenents base... specially when their protoss. Barely got anything. Unless ther'ye good then they would probably have defenses...
    2. Battlefield 2142
    Just got the demo and I absolutly love it! Love seeing the enemy's Titan go up in a blaze.

9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't get the chance to play that many computer games, but my all time favourite would have to be Deus Ex. Amazing for its time. I still love to get the guns out and blow up some government fucks whenever I get the chance.

I do have to say though, one of the best non-storyline games I have ever played is Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Truly amazing, if ever so easy to cheat on. I mean, who would love to fly through a fleet of 50 B52 in an invulnerable F14 with unlimited missiles. Great fun.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I prefer Dawn of War over C&C, though Generals is very good, and for action its gotta be Planetside. Has kept me occupied during vital study time for the past 3 1/2 years of my life.