1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fics that do the Goblins justice

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Rhaegar I, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Can someone recommend a Fic that does the Goblins justice? One where they aren't going to swear Harry their allegiance because he remembers Griphook's name, but they aren't just dismissed as ruthless savages.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  2. James

James Unspeakable

Fic where they are actual ruthless savages would be awesome.

3. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Ain't they quite the cunts in canon already?

4. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

5. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Are there any fics with Goblin rebellions? I remember a couple where there were a side plot with goblins doing a zerg-rush to Diagon Alley (with machine guns, IIRC), but maybe something with a bit more thought?

Goblin rebellions seem like a big deal in the wizarding history, so one would guess that there are fics about them.

6. esran

esran Professor

The only goblin rebellion post wand ban was pretty pitiful. I'm not sure the goblins are capable of another rebellion, not when they are so much weaker in a straight fight, have fewer numbers, and the richest most powerful goblins likely profit immensely off of the current situation.
    If Gringotts, one of the only places we ever see goblins, is at all indicative of social structures, I suspect many of the most successful goblin businesses cater almost exclusively to wizards. A rebellion wouldn't really help anyone.

7. James

James Unspeakable

Not really, AFAIK. Someone with better canon knowledge might correct me, but they were rude, they were quite active during defense of their territory and one goblin was lying asshole. That's not enough to say they were ruthless savages.

Now, in most fics, their "ruthless savagness" ends with baring their teeth during smiling and being somewhat rude.

Damn, now I really want to see a fic where they are a faction in a power struggle, use dirty methods and act like all around cunts.

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Goblins can be quite cuntish. See Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, in particular the authors notes at the bottom of the pages.

9. James

James Unspeakable

Ah, I haven't read the "bonus" books. Something super interesting (about goblins) in them?

10. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

11. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

I'm talking about the 7 HP books, not the additional stuff to milk the franchise.

12. esran

esran Professor

In the books they are rude. I don't see much additional "cuntishness" from them so to speak. In the extended canon they do a lot of additional awfulness, but in just the books I don't see it.

13. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

Enembee's Forests of Valbone had a goblin rebellion taking place which I thought was portrayed well, even if it kind of finished with much of the detail glossed over.