1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Fidelius by Ishtar - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

The author implied in her response to your review that this wouldn't happen... We can only hope...

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Didnt think i'd get one, thats cool. Those a really the only things I can see right now that might ruin the story.

I hope he uses Voldemort's wand as his main one :p

3. Yes, this is definitely original! I've never seen anything like it before. Some parts I find exceptionally amusing (Dumbledore giving Snape fashion advice? :lol: ) Overall, one of the best I've read and I hope its updated soon!

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I liked how Malfoy saved his ass. Going to the Order and not the Ministry. That was a smart move.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

New chapter is great, as always.

I like how she made Harry perfect for Hufflepuff (coz that's where seems to be going - hardworking, 'good to all animals' and loyal, that's him). There are not that many stories with Harry as a Hufflepuff and in the one that do put him there, he's usually just a Slytherin under disguise. Excellent idea!

I also liked her Dumbledore started pushing towards manipulative side. It's only normal for him to feel wary of Harry since he wasn't the one that controled his upbringing. I would imagine him growing extremely paranoid of powerful students' allegiances after he let Ridley slip through his fingers.

Scene with Snape was brilliant too, great idea.

I didn't like how she just copied somed parts of PS, like Hagrid picking up the stone, or meeting Malfoy at the robe shop. I hope she somewhat change things once Harry is at Hogwarts, coz it would be really lame to read all the familiar scenes again (flying class, the mirror, duel, Fluffy, the troll etc), only from slightly different angle. There are simply so many authors doing things like that, that I feel like I've read PS 50 times already. Yes, it's a great book and all, but enough is enough...

Another good chapter in general, I urge you to start reading this if you haven't already.

6. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

Don't know if this sounds stupid or anything, but this story brought a question to mind for the real book. How was everyone able to witness the scene and able to go inside the house to get Harry.

I mean, the house is under the Fidelius charm and Peter Pettigrew is still alive, so how in the worlds name can all of these people all of a sudden come in to take the boy and everything? It does so confuse me since NOONE but the secret keeper or those who he tells the address are able to get through the Fidelius and Peter only told Voldemort.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I seem to recall that Voldemort destroyed the place during the battle and Harry was found within the ruins. Maybe the building's physical destruction took the Fidelius down along with it. My knowledge regarding canon details is a bit sketchy though, so I'm probably mistaken somewhere.

8. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

That seems way to sketchy. Also there is the fact that the Fidelius charm was keyed to the address, not the house itself. Its realy sketchy even if it was keyed to the house though because that means something such as accidental magic while Harry is growing could cause the Fidelius to fall.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

There is very simple solution to that - Dumbledore was keyed in the wards (like Harry is keyed in Grimmauld Place). Pettigrew muct have written the adress on a piece of paper and then James & Lily gave it to Dumbledore.

After the murder, Dumbledore took out the baby and gave it to Hagrid (?) Why wouldn he take it himself?

Maybe side-along apparation is dangerous with infant and it needed to be taken physically. Thus, he calls Hagrid, tells him to take Harry to Private Drive using Sirius' discraded bike (Sirius apparated to chase after Peter and left the bike behind?). He then apparates to Private Drive where he meets McGonagall.

So you see, every JKR's screwup can be explained with some imagination-streching and bending on backwards. No big deal!

10. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

I don't think so. I don't believe that Dumbledore would be keyed into the wards whne they wouldn't even make him their secret keeper. Though I suppose secret keeper does give more power. There is of course that fact that in a world of magic espeically, any pot holes can be explained through imagination and even the most impossible can become possible, which does make many crappy stories, when you include magic into the mix.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

My canon-compliant theory on why Dumbledore wasn't Potter's secret-keeper.

Since the secret is being kept inside a person's SOUL and every person have only single soul, then a person could be secret keeper of only one location (although you could argue that Voldemort could be the secret keeper of 7 objectes...). Since Dumbledore was already the secret keeper of Grimmauld place, someone else had to take on the role. Otherwise, everyone would pester Dumbledore to hide them away...

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Dumbledore wasn't the secret keeper of Grimmauld Place at the time of the first war I'd thought? Unless I missed something I thought the addition of Grimmauld was something new that Sirius let the Order use inbetween GoF and OOTP.

13. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Yeah, he used the Fidelius when he reinstated the Order in the second war. If I'm not mistaken, I think he offered to be the Potter's Secret-keeper, but they didn’t want to inconvenience him or what not (just imagine having to track down Dumbledore in the middle of a war he was very deep in just to let some random people into your house), and choose one of their close friends. Even if it was the one that turned them in the fastest, at the moment, Peter was considered a good and loyal friend.

What I would like to know from real cannon is how Voldemort got Peter on his side.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I could see Peter being like Ron. Loyal and a great friend, but with unmentioned issues.

James and Sirius the womanizers and pretty boys. James the quidditch star, Sirius the rich kid from a good family.

Lupin the excellent student and prefect.

I could easily see Peter supporting them all, and being a friend, but while feeling left out and out of place. He could of been twisted into thinking they just pitied him and kept him around as a joke, etc. Or he could of been offered real power instead of constantly being the 4th stringer.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Canon Peter's a wannabe in the worst way. He should audition for american idol and just get it over with.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Latest chapter was kinda boring but that happens.

17. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

'The New Marauders.'

Ugh, just the chapter title alone was enough to make me turn away.

This story had a really good and original premise, but it pains me to see it devolving into this garbage. OMK HARRY IS TEH NEW PRONGSIE~!!!

18. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

He hasn't been here lately, so he probably missed the memo.

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, it was kinda OK, since fanficauthors.net was late with sending out new chapter notices. I learned about the new chapter from the pottersplace3 yahoo group.

20. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

I shall weep for the loss of another good story into the fell clutches of canon and clichéd situations. Alas, I held out hope that this very original story would not go astray when it got to Hogwarts, but this chapter has proven that my wishes were not to be, for I feel as if I’m reading the first book once again, if only with minor differences.

I will morn for the loss of this most promising story into the realms of unoriginality.