1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Fidelius by Ishtar - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Nov 16, 2005.

1. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Neville made a Patronus? I'm pretty sure it was Hermione and Cho to do that, not Hermione and Neville. Or maybe all three did, I don't have the book in front of me at the moment to check.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ron showed his jealously once, and understandably so, but I'm not getting into this argument.

Neville only got the Patronus because people were encouraging him. Do you think he could have done that without someones help? I mean, in the sixth book, all he did was pester Harry about reforming the DA, even when the had a good DADA teacher.

It's not that hard to excel in one class, and fuck everything else up. Big whoop, he did good in Herbology. What about Potions? What about Transfiguration? Charms? He did poorly in all those OWL's. Did he get an O in DADA? I don't remember. But that was only because he was learning because people were pushing him to actually learn.

3. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Transfiguration he got an E. Check it out.

A in CHarms (Means that he performs at an ORDINARY level. That's not so bad. And he at least got an E in DADA because he's still in Harry's class.)
    Potions he sucks at, but Harry sucks at History (which would be useful if he actually wanted to KNOW something about the magical world.)?

Sera, you're right. It was Cho. Harry notes the fact that Neville NEVER makes a Patronus becaus e he was leading the class before (second only to Hermione. Cho made a swan FYI).

But does someone who excels in the class sound like a person everybody else is going to bend over backwards to help?

DA: WOW, Neville! You're doing better than us, but we're still going to dedicate time to help you, even though you've CLEARLY surpassed us.

BAH!! NEville may suck at potions and he may have been weak, but bear in mind that Everything we see is through the Harry-filter.

ANd when was the last time NEville was actually paid attention to before 5th year? It was in 3rd YEAR where they make cracks about him screwing up in potions. 4th year? Nothing. YEt Harry finds time to notice Krum, Karkaroff talking to Snape, Moody, and a whole bunch of other things. Neville may not have excelled at potions, but he was probably doing ADEQUATELY. Not great, but decent.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No actually, people are pushing Ron to study all the time - Harry having to take Voldemort thus practise dueling, Hermione constantly berreting him about homework, his brothers all more succesful than him, his mother pushing him to become a Perfect, etc... And with all this help, he is still barely average.

No big deal Neville is the best in herbology? Then what is Ron best in? The best comic releif? The best chess player in competition of 20 kids? Neville is at least interested in something constructive, unlike lazy-arse Ron who has big ambitions but not enough discipline to achieve them.

No one is pushing Neville, as far as I can see, no friends, no big family, no big expectations. His granma might have been taking him for a disapointment coz of his mental defects and late development, but I don't see her expecting anything great from him.

He was in DA on his own and worked hard for himself, not coz Hermione & Harry dragged him along, like Ron.

He screws up in all the subjects coz he obvious has psyhological problems. He's forgetful, has bad case of nerves and his magic goes haywire all the time. None of this is his fault.

And Neville is actually strugling extra hard to overcome his failings. Even without anyone pulling him forward by the dick and with screwed up brain, he still beats Ron in DA, for example... Ron who has all the support and motivation he needs and none of Neville defects, and still never does or achieve anything but whine and play games.

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Well, I don't know about Mental Defects. Neville's forgetful. I don't think its more than that.

And Ron is just Lazy. I agree with you there (although the only time Harry studies is Patronus Charm, when he's studying for Goblet of Fire, and when he's reading the HBP's notes. THat's it. THose are the only times Harry does extracurricular studies. (And Goblet of Fire is debatable as he didn't have to take tests at the end of the year.)

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You're right about Harry. I guess that's just an after-effect of spending too much time around Ron and wanting to be normal...

Man, I wish Ron died when that chess piece whacked him in the first year. Harry would then hang out with Hermione and be smarter than this idiot now. I hate Ron! He ruined any chance for the series to end with normal duel and somewhat competent Harry outdueling Voldemort fairly.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I have a quick question...
    { havent followed the thread, or story }

Isn't it "Fidelis"?

8. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

NOpe. Its "Fidelius". As in "Fidelius Charm" :wink:

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It wasnt so bad but... I still didnt like a lot of the shit that happened. Like all four of them going to different houses. That's just fucking whack.

Hufflepuff Harry is original and even though I dont like him there, I'll give that a chance. As long as he doesnt turn into some little pussy-whipped thing...

10. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

UPDATED!!!

I'm kinda disappointed by the new chapter. The problem is that she made Harry too powerful and is trying to undo it. He should have already mastered ALL the first year material, yet he hasn't. Needs to be worked on. This has now become my SECOND favorite AU. (Happy Red Prince is BRILLIANT.)

Anyway, check this out, if you want. Still Okay, but disappointing.

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I somehow feel that was another backhanded way of badgering me for an update. HRP is probably next on my list after updating my Naruto fic again.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

THAT WAS SUBTLE!! :D :D

I didn't even bring it up in its own forum (although, I thought about it :wink: )

For all intents and purposes, I could have been recommending a fic to readers.

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Ok chapter - not Ishtar's best, but still good enough.

Pranking was a little elementary, but still, they are first years.

Broom accident was an original twist to the old scene.

Hufflepuff Quidditch team was way too professional and serious, IMO. They seem much more zealous than Gryffindor team from the canon, even though they should be everyone's bitch and loose all the time. I was expecting them to take the cup thing less seriously, which would be the reason for them loosing all the time.

I like how Harry handled the potential duel and the new twist on the creature guarding the stone.

I didn't like that psychedelic halloween very much, especially that confusing dream part, but I guess it'll become important later in the story. Harry spilling his guts out to Dumbledore was strange too - was he under a spell or something?

14. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

I agree, good chapter, but still slightly off. I really don’t know specifically why and where it got a bit irritating, but it was there. Pranking, as I suspected, too a bigger role then it should have taken and I’m hoping that it will quickly join the background or my sanity may suffer.

As for Quidditch, I dunno if I follow you or not. The fact that they seam to change players every year could be one of the causes of the Hufflepuff team not being able to win that often, after all, they would have new members every year, so they would need to work extra hard to get them working as a team. For some reason, I was hoping that Quidditch wouldn’t take such a big part of the story.

His interests while growing up were too diverse for that.

For that reason, I was a bit disappointed with classes. He was supposed to know more then that, even if I didn’t like the potions bit and the color spell. He should have found Herbology and his other classes easy.

Halloween I kinda understood. But I don’t see how it would fit into the plot. I’m particularly interested in the divination potion, which I’m sure will become a bigger part of the plot, since in his dream he basically saw a combination of his confrontation with Voldemort and peoples greatest fears, which I think was cause by combining the hallucinogens. After all, why else would Moony be standing over Snape’s body, while every other thing had to do with Voldemort? That’s the confusing bit for me at least.

I’m withholding judgment on this Dumbledore for now, since he seems bit inconsistent at the moment, or at least that’s what I think.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No, they don't change the whole team each year - they are just always looking for the best players, instead having the old ones occupy the spots indefinitely. That's much more serious approach than what Gryffs do.

It just seems that Hufflepuffs, with an approach like that, should be winning each mach instead of being total loosers.

And yes, I hate Quidditch too...

16. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

If you put it that way, then yes, I would have to agree. After all hast Slytherin won the Quidditch cup for the last years? Since the time Charlie was at school, i think. In any case, its true, with an approach like that, they should be one of the best teams, if not the best, after all, aren’t Puffs a hard working lot?

And It’s not that I don’t like Quidditch, its that authors use it as filler, don’t know how to write it, and obsess over it, like they do with the personality traits of the houses, and pranks. Those three things irk me to no end, but it’s because they are overused, and badly at that.

Most of the time they don’t even add to the plot, if there ever was a plot that is…

17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I didn't like how she mentioned EVERY class but DADA. Harry uses Voldemorrt's wand for curses. What will happen when he whips that wand out ( :wink: ). SOrry, bad joke. But seriously, why hasn't that happened yet? Did Harry not take it to school? Why wasn't that mentioned, then? I'll read the next chapter of this fic, but if that one sucks, I'm gonna stop.

And the thing with Hermione wasn't even necessary. Leave the brooms out. IN this world it doesn't feel natural that both events occur. It felt forced to get Harry on the Quidditch team. She would have better off leaving him off of it, and not making Harry a fan. Make him indifferent to the sport and think its lame...like soccer (KIDDING!!). Pranking played too big a part and was lame. ANimal was cool, and that was it. ANd by the way, I thought finite removed ALL charms on something. That it returned it to its previous state. This one doesn't feel right to me, do you think Harry would be the first one to come up with this? Disappointed.

18. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

started reading this story, loved it, but as i got more and more into it i started to hate it. I just don't like first year harry that follows most of the same plot as ps/ss, also, i just really don't like the authors writing style..

19. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

UPDATED!!

Been a while. First half is okay, but the second half de-volves into a Quidditch extravaganza with excessive and unnecessary description. Eh. Its all-right, and its better than it was.

That said, the whole "Lady Faire" thing kind of sucked, but it goes some way to explain Canon Ginny's behavior. Could be better but whatever. I didn't like the second half, thought the first half was good.

P.S. THis needs to go into the A.U. section

20. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I agree, but... aren't you mod or something? :)