1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Fidelius by Ishtar - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Is it just me, or does it seem like its just a rewrite of Sorcerers Stone only without Ron, with Neville and Tracey and from a Hufflepuff view-point

That and the Quidditch felt like filler.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Read the update: I've got mixed feelings.

Give me 24 hours or so and I'll have better words

3. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

meh, got to agree with you people here, it had alot of proise but it feels like alot of filler probably waiting till 4th year for the triwizard tournament. Will probably keep on reading it out of curiosity but seems to be going downhill for me.

4. bmatsea

bmatsea Squib

I was quite impressed with the whole life debt/lady fair explanation, and I fully agree with the statement that that might have been why cannon Ginny acted the way she did in the books. I just wonder if the whole life debt concept is backed by magic or if its just a honor thing. In cannon it seams to be honor based. Just look at cannon wormtail he owed a life debt to harry and he still turned around and screwed him over with the whole "Let's give Voldimort and new body" thing.

If I'm wrong, then oh well.

I personally think that the life debts need to be excepted by both parties for it to become magically binding contract. And we all can understand how cannon Harry doesn't like having controll over someoneelses life.

Ack .... talking too .... much .... thinking .... way too much .... into this.

5. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Havnt read the latest chapter yet, but thus far I do like it. Admitiadly the Pranking aspect is slightly annoying. It would find it hard to build a character around pranking, only to have them start being serious and well behaved in future years...

My favourite thinga are the back story, the detail of the Fidelius charm and the characterisation of Wormtail (up until he returned to England). Oh and the fact that Harry's group consists a member from each house.

6. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I really like this story. I especially like that wormtail is not written as some idiotic near squib or that he joined the death eaters because he wanted to get out of his friends shadows.

It is also great that it took a few years between james and the rest leaving hogwarts and when voldemort is killed so they have time to establish careers before they died.

One thing I dont like is at hogwarts, it feels like the author is forcing the hogwarts houses to unite by having harry get 4 friends on the train and then just happen to sort them into one of each of the houses... Other then that is the story great.

7. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

i liked this story, mostly because it does have smart harry without pushing it to extremes, and that the author is putting more and more interesting tidibits. Beside, this is ishtar's first story where hermione is a prevalent character, and she is my fav (winces at the boos :p)

8. Toruviel

Toruviel Squib

This is one of my favourite's stories. I have a mixing feeling about Harry in Huffelpuff, and I don't really like whole pranking idea, but I love rest of the story. Wormtail isn't so stupid and we see that there is more of him than just wimpering DE. And I really like the way Snape acts toward Harry.
    And the idea of Harry using Dark Lord's wand and having his ring is... mniami. ;)
    I just hope that this story won't go dawn the hill.

9. CGB

CGB Auror

I like this story. I have to agree that it seems partially as a rewrite from Philosophers Stone, but there are a few changes. Maybe it'll be completely changed by the end of 4th year. I'll certainly following the story.

10. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Great fic ;] i liked the dumbledores fighting and the quote about them :

It didn't matter that one was the man who had destroyed Grindelwald and the other raised goats and brewed butterbeer for a living, together they were untouchable,

11. talon

talon Squib

I read all the way till Sirius goes through the veil before I couldn't take it anymore. The author seems to be focusing on every other character but Harry. Making Sirius go through the veil just confuses the story by opening even more divergent paths. Pettigrew coming back as a ghost to teach Harry doesn't fit with his cowardly character previously. In the end there is too much filler material when I wanted to actually see how Harry has grown differently when raised by house elves

2.5/5

talon

12. Sora

Sora First Year

I... I'm sorry, the story really is good.. very well thought out and the characterization of people in those situations is well done... but.

I couldn't read anymore when Harry got sorted into Hufflepuff. I dunno, maybe I'm prejudiced or something... still, a good story, Harry is just too naive for my liking... maybe it picks up later? I'll probably never know.

13. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Liked this a lot when it came out, but the lack of updates has dwindled my inthusiasm quite a lot. Still a worthy read, IMO

14. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

As a general rule, Ishtar isn't on my "To Read" list and this fic is a prime example of why, other than the rampant retarded romanticism, anyways. This fic pulls a 3.5/5 from me. Hell, at least she's better than Kinsfire...

15. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

1/5

Honestly, the majority of it is filler, its very predictable to see whats going to happen as soon as we realize what the situation is. Harry as a Hufflepuff, with one of each of his 3 friends being in all the other houses is just crap, especially when the author will most likely just use it to "unite the houses" and "carry on the Marauder tradition". I absolutely loath fics where Harry recreates the Marauders then pulls some half assed pranks that are supposed to be hilarious. Harry is supposed to hate attention.

Also, I dont give a shit about his elves and their rights. Treat them like people if you must, but I dont care to repeatedly read about their various differences from normal elves.

This story was promising at the beginning, but it seems excruciatingly slow paced, and not nearly dark enough for my tastes. Maybe an 8 year old or so would enjoy it.

On another, absolutely unrelated note, I absolutely hate The Brave New World, its the worst fic in the history if fiction, and its author should be stabbed repeatedly in the face with a butter knife.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  16. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

You know this used to be one of those rare fics that were out on the internets before all this flambouant fangirlism started polluting the genre's. Back in '05 to see a HP in the house of duffers was a tremendous leap from the norm so much so that it was seriously a joy to read any and all of them.

If only y'all were there. Anyways i cant agree with you more IBG the story is, unfortunately not as it used to be.

1/5.

17. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Well, I'm two chapters in and enjoying the story if only for how thoughtful the writing is. While each chapter's ANs could point to someone who is waaaay too obsessed with Harry Potter, its presented in a way that shows the author is actually putting thought into what (she?)'s writing and not just slapping out fanfiction. The characterization is good so far, but I'm going to hold off on ranking until I've finished it or gotten fed up with its bullshit.

18. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Yeah, she...and what you said is one reason she is a much better editor than author...she does tend to put too much thought into things. Her 'best' work was a one-off about Harry and the Giant Squid...no thought involved and mildly amusing.

19. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

Annnnd I'm done.

20. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Agreed. Is that one in the library? At leat that way, one of them would end up making somewhere besides the trashbin.