1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Filtered Fanfiction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moatra, Aug 29, 2011.

?

What should be the next major feature?

1. Community driven/moderated story tagging and searching

104 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. DLP Story Rating and Library integration

108 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. UI overhaul (Including a mobile browser version of the site, as well as IE and Opera compatibility)

86 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Support for searching crossover stories

75 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. PinstripedPajamas

PinstripedPajamas Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Okay, but if you're ever in a tragic keyboard-related accident and find yourself unable to work (and thus unable to afford server costs) let us know.

Hmm, It occurs to me that your hypothetical keyboard-related injury may prevent you from communicating. Shit.

2. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Right. I'll add a dead drop to my server where if I don't check in at least once a week, it'll automagically post a request here on the boards for y'all to avenge me. There's no possible way that could go wrong.

:p

3. PinstripedPajamas

I was thinking something along the lines of a life alert bracelet, but I suppose that works in a pinch.

4. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Would be nice to have an own feedback/rating/attribute database so people could add more infos to improve the filtering possibilities over time.

5. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

There seems to be an optimization problem when you select a large number of characters in your character list. I'll look into it, but for now, try not to select too many characters in one search.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Wow. This is literally the biggest contribution to fanfiction ever.

Thank you sir.

7. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Good job, very useful. It's sort of sad that the filter options I put in exclude, like, 90% of stories on FFnet.

8. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I'm finding the lack of general hate produced by seeing pages full of Harry slash is making me more likely to click on goofy looking borderline stories. We'll see if this proves to be a good thing or a bad thing.

Props for awesome tool. It would probably make the search time impractical, but is there any practical way to exclude specific words from the title or summary? (-slash, -reading ftw)

9. PinstripedPajamas

Minor suggestion: you might consider adding Voldemort and/or Tom R. Jr. to the default exclude list. There sure is a lot of HP/LV slash...

Edit: Oh, and there's a next page link, but no previous page link.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

There's a back button on most browsers.

My recommended exclusion list:

Draco Malfoy, Severus Snape, Lucius Malfoy, Fred Weasley, George Weasley, Ginny Weasley, Hermione Granger, Charlie Weasley, Daphne Greengrass, Astoria Greengrass, Blaise Zabini, Fenrir Greyback, Tom Riddle, Lord Voldemort

This gives you a borderline acceptable selection of readable fics.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  11. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This is pretty fucking awesome.

One thing, I excluded "Romance" as a category but I still seem to get "Humor/Romance", "Drama/Romance", etc. Any way to avoid those as well?

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This is neat, but am I blind or is there no keyword search? This would be useful to search for nonfag vampire!Harry stories but it doesn't seem to work like that.

13. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Next step features:

• Pagination (Forward *and* Back, double the fun!) [Done]
    • Searchable, Community-Driven Tag Cloud (looking for Grey!Harry or want to exclude ReadingTheBooks ?)
    • Saveable searches (Links to the search page that fill the fields with whatever you want)
    • Actually implementing Genre filtering
    • Full-text search of author names, story names, and story summaries
      • This will be a good test of my query optimization abilities, but mostly it will depend on the quality of MySQL's full text searching capabilities.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Maybe something similar to "exclude", something like "Include", too?

15. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Can already tell you, they're lacking. That's why PatronusCharm.Net used Sphinx as its backend search. I've been considering indexing HP FF with Lucene, maybe we can talk.

If you do need hosting in the future, I can set you up with an account on our box at SoftLayer.

16. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Nice site, thanks for making it!

I have a suggestion though. You might want to add an exclusion column regarding complete/in progress fics.

That way one can filter, to get a list of all completed oneshots with a high review count. As veteran ff readers know, a high review count for a oneshot typically implies good things.

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

That's already there I think. In the first box you can select multiple people to include in the pairings list, and the second box you can select multiple people to exclude.

18. PinstripedPajamas

It appears that your server is under a great deal of load. One search didn't finish after leaving it for over a minute and the next took a good twenty seconds.

19. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Pushed in a couple of changes tonight:

• Added support for searching by completion status
    • Added support for searching by min/max chapters, and sorting by number of chapters
    • Added support for searching by max words and reviews
    • Fixed 404 resource not found errors when submitting with an empty text box
    • Increased minpagewidth a tad to help with story details being scrunched
    • Added a "Previous" link for page browsing, along with a count of stories matching the search
    Next in line is some query optimizations and restrictions, so those pesky minute long searches stop showing up.

After that will be Genre filtering, shareable searches, and a little helper I think a few of you need that will list what character parings will be shown using your current selections.

However, my silly day job requires me to sleep at some point. Quick couple of responses, though.

@Stalin's Pipe Organs:
    Thanks for the idea of searching for one shots, hence the "Max Chapters" search field. Not sure why I didn't do that before

@Lord Ravenclaw:
    I figured as much, but half the reason I'm working on this is to learn about such aspects of the MySQL and other web tech. I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you learned when setting up Sphinx. Also, depending on how hammered the site gets here, I may follow up on your offer of the hosting. DreamHost shared servers, while cheap, lack raw power.

@Andromalius
    I think you may be underestimating how awesome some of the shit is that these DLP authors have written. But regardless, thanks. :D

20. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

This is freaking awesome. This will save me so much time and effort looking for readable stories. Honestly, why the hell doesn't FF.net have something like this implemented already?

Also, I facepalmed pretty hard when I got rid of Draco and Snape, only to get a bunch of Harry Voldemort/Lucius/Fenrir Greyback slash, and in one case even Harry and Dumbledore slash. What the fuck is wrong with people? Still, I'm just going to use a similar list to Andromalius in the future.