1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Filtered Fanfiction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moatra, Aug 29, 2011.

?

What should be the next major feature?

1. Community driven/moderated story tagging and searching

104 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. DLP Story Rating and Library integration

108 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. UI overhaul (Including a mobile browser version of the site, as well as IE and Opera compatibility)

86 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Support for searching crossover stories

75 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

This would have made fanfiction a lot better if JKR exclusively said that slash fanfiction wasn't allowed...but you know that'll never happen.

2. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I applaud you dear Sir. Well done, well done indeed.

3. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

This might be a bug of some kind. I'm unable to use your filter to just get fics with Tom Riddle as a character.

4. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

5. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Thanks for that.

I'm still getting Romance fics when that's deselected.

Also how do I get fics where one character is TMR and the other is someone else. That doesn't seem possible.

6. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

I don't want to say something harsh- wait, hang on a minute, yes I do. You, sir, must either be blind, or unable to perform the simple action of clicking a button.

Congratulations.

7. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Your mother.

8. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

A little tip for you, moatra: Use this to check your site, if you don't use it already. When I let it run over your site, it shows, with the standard options, 21 errors and 22 warnings. Can't really say anything about those errors though, since I just began learning HTML.

9. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

I'm pleased to announce the latest version of filtered fanfiction. Due to the amazing generosity of Lord Ravenclaw and the assorted DLP supporters, the site has been moved to the DLP server and can be found here.

New Features:

• Optimized queries: Faster searches
    • New hardware: Much faster searches
    • Genre filtering has been enabled
    • New selection UI:
      • To select: Click in a box and start typing to search for a value, or use the drop down to select it.
      • To unselect: click the "x" on the item you want to unselect
    • Drag and Drop functionality for genres and characters
      • Drag an item and drop it to move it between containers
      • Drag the container to move all the items in the container
    • Character searching:
      • Use the drop downs in the "Character Bank" to search for characters with specific values, which will show up in the box underneath. These can then be dragged to the "required" and "other" boxes
    • Other small misc UI and behind-the-scenes improvements
    @sacro: It passes just fine when checking against HTML5, which is what I was aiming for. But yes, checking against standards is *never* a bad idea.

10. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I'm definitely enjoying the new capabilities, but to be honest I have no clue what I'm doing with the UI right now. It'll probably take me a little while to figure it all out again, and then it will seem painfully obvious.

Anyway, great to see Lord Ravenclaw supporting something so awesome, and this just gives me more reason to donate in the future.

11. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

I'm (painfully) aware that I'm a dev, and not a designer. I've already been getting some feedback on the UI about what could be improved, but after you figure it out I want to hear what you think could be changed as well.

If it makes it a little less confusing, the "All Genre" and "Character Bank" columns do not modify the results of the search in any way. They're just there for supposed convenience.

12. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah, it's still usable but could definitely be better. I'm probably the last person you'd want to receive advice from on designing UI, though.

I haven't tested it out yet, but just to clarify - where it says 'Other Characters', this means the characters you want filtered out then? You might want to make that a bit clearer. And the drop down box that goes along is a bit weird on my computer (Firefox, btw), as the options seem to be cut off bit - all I can see is 'ex' and 'al'. What are these for? Excluded and allowed, or something?

I hadn't realized that I could simply select characters from a drop down when I clicked in one of the boxes, so that was probably why I was having trouble. I thought I had to use the Character Bank to add in which characters I didn't want, which was kind of annoying. I can't believe I missed that...

Edit: Also, I really like the idea of the sorting options, but you need to be able to choose ascending or descending. I wanted to sort stories by which had the most reviews, but the option made it ascending and because there isn't an option to go to the last page of stories, I couldn't. Great feature though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  13. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Any chance we could get an option to sort ascending/descending for the sort-by option? I'd like to be able to find the most recently updated fics, instead of fics that updated when (insert religious savior here) still walked the earth.

14. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

I suggested this way back on page 3 and didn't hear anything about it. Is it possible?

15. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A link on this site would be also good.

16. Smore

Smore Third Year DLP Supporter

I've set it to list results by last updated, but they appear to be in a semi-random order instead. All were recently updated, though I can't see any pattern beyond that.

17. Stalin's Pipe Organs

I've noticed another small error.

When I exclude Romance, make Tom Riddle a required character, make the max chapter 1, it doesn't sort by reviews when configured to do so.

Hope that helps.

18. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Yeah, sorting was just plain broken after the update. It should be fixed now, and I added the option to reverse the sorting.

---------- Post automerged at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Yes, those options are supposed to be "excluded" and "allowed". What version of Firefox are you running? Is javascript enabled or disabled?

19. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Works perfectly so far, thanks for doing this. If you keep this up I'll never have to use the FF.net search again.

Just a quick question, are you going to include other fandoms? You'd have to fetch the relevant characters each time if you aren't doing that already, but the principles should be the same. The only problem I see with this is that it would fuck up your gender based character selection which you had to do by hand, right?

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

But then Harry would be in Slytherin! What is this madness!