1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Filtered Fanfiction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moatra, Aug 29, 2011.

?

What should be the next major feature?

1. Community driven/moderated story tagging and searching

104 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. DLP Story Rating and Library integration

108 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. UI overhaul (Including a mobile browser version of the site, as well as IE and Opera compatibility)

86 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Support for searching crossover stories

75 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Said: Reverse the sorting.

Not said: Reverse the Sorting.

2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He was kidding. I think.

3. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Madness? THIS IS DLP!!!!

4. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Is there a way to search the summary for certains words and exclude them? I never want to see mpreg or slash again =/

Also, the Community-Driven Tag Cloud upgrade seems like a good idea, but only if there's some sort of moderation of the tags. Perhaps a tumbs up / down on them so we can exclude the trolling ones?

5. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It took me a bit to realize, but the new interface is a click-and-drag system for your preferences. I'm loving it. Great work!

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Only thing I can complain about (from a dev prospective) is they way those dropdowns are implemented (I.E.: Sort By/Sort Order).

A few other websites I've seen do this too, and it makes it impossible to use the keyboard to navigate them. I don't use my mouse at all when navigating a web form, so it's more than a little bit annoying.

Should also put all of your scripts at the bottom of the page (even the libraries).

Overall, awesome job.

7. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

In a roundabout sort of a way, you helped me come up with the solution for fixing a couple of bugs with those drop downs. Have a cookie. And keyboard-usable select fields. (Make sure you force reload of the scripts or clear your cache)

I'm curious as to why the scripts should be at the bottom of the page. What's the reasoning behind that?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  8. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Loving the genre blocking.

It's become a sort of "rule of thumb" because it makes the page load faster (because Javascript blocks parallel downloads). If you put a slow-loading script in the HEAD, it holds up the rest of the page from downloading until it's done.

For your app, though, it probably won't make a big difference - it already loads fast and doesn't seem to cause any problems the way you have it now, so... /shrugs

9. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

That.

He is right, that it isn't causing any problems, though. Using a CDN (Google or otherwise) also helps speed things up. It's just a habit I've gotten used to, and point out to anyone I come across still putting JS higher up in the page.

Wonder if I can find that seemingly missing story of mine from the disabled!Harry thread...>.>

10. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Dragging is cool and all in a computer,but it just made the site unusable in my mobile.

It would be wonderful if you would write a mobile friendly version of the site.

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

One of the core ideas behind the Rails 3.1 HTTP streaming is to throw the head of an HTML document out to the browser ASAP, so the browser can work on retrieving JS while Rails finishes rendering the template and then outputs that. So you have two schools of thought: Put the scripts in HEAD, render HEAD first OR put the scripts at the end of the body.

FFFN isn't Rails, but depending on how it's setup it could work similarly...the DLP webserver doesn't buffer output for just this reason.

12. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

I just pushed in a couple of changes that should make the site much friendlier for mobile browsers. It's definitely on my todo list to make a mobile-native version, but for now, removing the drag and drop and letting the phone use it's own multiselect widget will have to work.

@Militis, Rubicon, and Lord Ravenclaw
    I don't think the structure of the Pyramid framework allows for early flushing of the html header, but I'll continue to look into it. In the meantime, the scripts have been moved to the bottom of the page. Thanks for the lesson.

13. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Great work on the site. I think it would be cool if our search preferences would be saved for future searches.

14. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I'm pretty sure just copying and pasting the URL should work. Being able to save preferences would be nice, but it's not impossible to do at the moment.

15. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

If you are really serious about improving the UI, I could probably throw something up for you later today. I have today off work, and pretty much nothing to do later tonight. Could probably have something done in a couple hours. Just PM me if you are interested, and give me some ideas you'd like to see.

(that is if my interpretation of improving the UI meant graphically.)

16. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

This tool is awesome moatra. Is there a way to filter fics through chapter density? Like 5k words/chapter or something to that effect.

17. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Directly? No.

However, with the power of math, you can set the maximum chapters to 5 and the minimum words to 20,000. The results will then only contain stories with a minimum chapter density of 4k words/chapter.

If for some reason you want stories with a maximum chapter density of 4k words/chapter, set maximum words at 20,000 and minimum chapters at 5.

I may or may not make it into its own separate feature, but the workaround is pretty trivial for right now.

18. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

About done with that new layout. Got set back some today when working on it. Might have something to show you either tomorrow or Friday.

19. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

You're doing God's work.

20. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Is there a way to get it to show only stories that have just Harry P. as their character tag?