1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Filtered Fanfiction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moatra, Aug 29, 2011.

?

What should be the next major feature?

1. Community driven/moderated story tagging and searching

104 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. DLP Story Rating and Library integration

108 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. UI overhaul (Including a mobile browser version of the site, as well as IE and Opera compatibility)

86 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Support for searching crossover stories

75 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. PinstripedPajamas

PinstripedPajamas Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I realize. The ctrl key does the same thing.

Simply from a usability standpoint, I think it makes sense for external links to open in a new tab. It's not a hard thing to do either, just a simple target="_blank" added to the anchor tag.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think it's rather a moot point -- when choosing to open in a new tab is as simple as clicking the middle mouse button or pressing a key, it's not vital to add the option in.

Also this conversation has made me realize that I don't know how to open something in the current tab if a link auto-opens in a new one -- granted it rarely comes up as I'm a fan of opening in a new tab, but still.

This really is splitting hairs though, imo.

3. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

This is the main reason I chose not to have it auto-open in a new tab, especially since it's trivial to open a link in a new tab.

Also, the mobile version of the site should now be live. If you're using a mobile device, the site should autodetect it and give you the mobile version. If not, simply visit http://fffn.darklordpotter.net/m/ to force the mobile version. If it's incorrectly detecting you as a mobile broswer, visit http://fffn.darklordpotter.net/f/ to force the full version of the site.

As always, your feedback is appreciated, especially if I screwed up the UI design :awesome

4. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Not really sure what was going on, but I was just using the site on my desktop computer and every time one of the drop downs appeared it wouldn't disappear no matter what I did. Any one else having the same problem, or am I just doing something wrong?

5. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  6. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

I've temporarily reverted the changes until I can fix that bug.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Bug is fixed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. Septonyte

Septonyte Muggle

YAY!!! I can block the slash. This is:awesome.

8. Ched

Sorry to bump, but I thought I'd ask if there was much interest in adding an X-men category for searching?

I can see one possible problem though -- would it be possible to combine the X-men categories for comics/TV/movies into one Filtered Fanfiction search? I.e. If I wanted to find stories featuring Xavier and Magneto and didn't care if they took place in the TV show, comic, or movie "universe." Or better yet, somehow add that to the search feature so you could search by all or just one of the above. Might work well for things like Star Wars too (where there is fanfic based on the books as well as on the movies, etc.).

If not no worries of course -- this "Filtered Fanfiction" thing is totally sweet just as it is. ...and I've already got my Harry Potter and other favorite fandoms included.

Thanks again for making it.

9. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Oh hey, not sure how I missed this post.

Unfortunately with the current database design I can't have one category be updated from two different locations, meaning a combined X-Men category will eventually grow to have stale data for either the movies or the comics.

I'm importing both of them now into two separate categories, and the crossover feature will allow you to search across multiple categories. Unfortunately, I make no promises as to when life will afford me the free time to implement that >_>

10. Ched

No worries man -- what you've done already is amazing. Thanks for the update!

11. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Squib DLP Supporter

Is it possible for you to add a feature where you can search for stories only written by authors starting with a certain letter? I hope that made sense.

12. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

That feature is already available, just a little obscure to use. Try this search:

http://fffn.darklordpotter.net/sear...0:/0:/0:/0:/0:/-1:/false/updated/q=@author ^b

Explanation:

"@author": says that you want to search on the author's name

"^b": the carrot is fairly common notation meaning 'starts with', and anything after is what you want the authors name to start with.

Similarly, 'e$' would mean 'ends with e', so putting "@author e$" in the keyword box would return stories by authors whose name ends with an e.

That help?

Teaching mode aside, why do you want to search by starting letter of author?

Edit: There are 13,326 hp stories that have a summary starting with the word "what". There are 15,381 stories whose title starts with "Harry Potter"

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  13. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

The second statistic actually surprises me quite a bit. I would have thought there would be way more stories that use the whole "Harry Potter and the ..." title thing.

14. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Squib DLP Supporter

Thanks! That helped alot! The reason why I wanted that feature is because I had a certain author who wrote a couple of stories I liked but I forgot his name.
    I remember the first letter of his name but I didn't want to go through the entire ffnet archive. I knew I'd remember his name if I saw it. I knew I'd remember his name if I saw it.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

But, would you remember a sentence if you typed it?

Also, and perhaps even more relevant, would you remember a sentence if you typed it? :awesome

Welcome to DLP, Shadowfox, and enjoy your stay.

16. ShadowStorm666

ShadowStorm666 Muggle

Damn Do I ever have a problem what I need is a filter for what I don't want to read

I don't like Slash
    I find H/Hr mostly stale
    I absolutely abhor H/G

Which really leaves me short on reading material

17. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

The whole thing is a filter. o_o

18. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  19. Elloth

Elloth Squib

I was just looking through the character lists you have sorted by gender, and I noticed that there are some characters who were sorted incorrectly. It's not a big deal, but it was funny to see Helga Hufflepuff listed as a male.

I went through the characters quickly and caught some mistakes. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of their genders:

Female

Helga Hufflepuff (listed under male)
    Kendra Dumbledore (listed under male)
    Muriel Weasley (listed under male)
    Myrtle (listed under male)
    Callidora Black (listed under object)
    Charis Black (listed under object)
    Eleanor Branstone (listed under object)
    Fay Dunbar (listed under object)
    Mandy Brocklehurst (listed under object)
    Megan Jones (listed under object)

Male

Barry Ryan (listed under object)
    Travers (listed under object)
    Aidan Lynch (listed under object)
    Frank Bryce (listed under object)
    Harfang Longbottom (listed under object)
    Lev Zograf (listed under object)

btw, thanks for all of the effort you put in to make this; it's awesome!

20. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

"Object" is the default classification for any new character detected during the update process. Which means I only got 4 of those wrong when doing it by hand. :)

Fixed. Thanks for the bug report. Seriously. I see some errors pop up in the logs and I'll go fix them, but not nearly enough people report the bugs here. The logs don't catch everything.