1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Oxy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

After the succes of Final Fantasy XIII, Square Enix has officially announced a sequel. Although FFXIII was a huge dissapointment I can't help, but hope that the sequel will be better.

Final Fantasy XIII-2

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck it. I hated FFXIII (it being the only Final Fantasy game - that I've played - that I haven't completed). There is no force in the universe strong enough to make me buy that game.

3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

FFXIII made me hate the franchise, and this is coming from someone who adored FFVIII.

I have seriously never felt like I had less of an overall effect on a video game.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FFXIII was one giant tutorial, and the "gameplay" was a joke. I played 10 hours and gave up. Not buying this.

That said, I keep an open mind with respect to FF Versus XIII.

5. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

FFXIII Versus is more like Kingdom Hearts. There is a new gameplay trailer out for it as well. I have been a loyal fan of both KH and FF (although I find FFXIII to be lacking too) and I must say FF Versus doesn't look shabby at all.

More over they might change the entire system for FFXIII-2, as they did with FFX-2, and for the better I hope, because many people think FFXIII was one big joke.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

FFXIII had one redeeming quality. It was pretty. I remember just watching it for hours on a 50 Inch HD Plasma TV. The rest of it was just crap though. I'll probably finish it for the G's one of these days. I am not going to buy the next one. Final Fantasy has been going on for far too long. It's not really a game anymore so much as it is a money maker for Square. It's become a bit like Pokemon and bleach. Them fuckin' Japs need to know when to quit.

7. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

If one game turned you off of an entire company, you weren't much of a fan to begin.

FFXIII took it about five steps too far with the tutorial business. It should have been completely optional. But after the tutorial (Yes, it was roughly 5-10 hours) it did vastly improve, just not enough to make up for the beginning. So they made one bad FF. Shocking, they failed. They're still over 90% in quality of games in the FF series alone.

I'll give FFXIII-2 a look. I just won't have the normal high hopes I have for a normal Final Fantasy, kind of like the expectations I had for FFX-2.

As for Versus, if it plays like Kingdom Hearts and the storyline is actually mature, it'll be a fantastic game.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

As someone who actually liked FFXIII for whatever reason, I'm looking forward to this. Kinda. This can one of two ways: either the FFX-2 route and completely destroy what was already there in a raging fire of dress spheres (And as such, won't really lose much love around here) or be a marginally good game where the folks behind FFXIII decide to fix a few problems of the original, and as such, might be a bit better. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    *Drools*

This is exactly the Final Fantasy game I've been wanting for so long now. Well, in terms of setting, I mean. A mix of the usual FF mechanics like magic and monsters, set in a pseudo-modern world. And Noctis seems like an interesting main character.

10. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I liked XIII (just as soon as the game opened up, i.e. about 20 hours in. Square's brand loyalty is disgusting, and yes I am referencing myself in this) and thought the sequel could be interesting. Not really sure what needed to be wrapped up from the end of the game, but whatever.
    Then I see the trailer, and whatever it is that Lightning is wearing, and I get really really concerned. A half-skirt of feathers and bikini-plate mail raises quite a few doubts in me about its dissimilarity to FFX-2.

Versus on the other hand looks like quite a great way to waste a good bit of time.

11. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Was I the only one who actually liked FFX-2? I mean, "best game ever" it was not, but I never thought it was terrible. I liked the dress-sphere system's mechanics. And the eye-candy. And the story wasn't all that bad either, on the whole.

12. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Is this the part where I come steamrolling in with avatars and sigs?:awesome

In all seriousness, I enjoyed XIII very much, although it was by no means my favourite FF. The linearity of it was not an issue as I have nothing against it - so long as it is done well. And I felt that, in this case, it was. I sincerely hope that SquareEnix make a far higher quality sequel than FFX-2 and FFVII: DoC were, as I was very disappointed with them (although X-2's battle system was enjoyable).

If they fluff the battle system, however, then I will kill them. Slowly and painfully.

In the past, I have always got massively hyped for new installments in the main FF series, so, true to form, I am already buzzing for this. Cue lurking/posting on Gamespot.

Judging by the concesus presented by the previous posters, I fully expect to get :firefor this. But no matter. It will be a proud and failtastic death.

/FF fanboy rant.

EDIT:
    Considering the fact that I'm currently writing a fic in the universe, I can't say I hated it. The battle system was good, and it took the story in a fairly interesting direction, but there was so much more potential in the universe. They could have made a far more epic game, and one that was less of a hen-night. Oh, well. Here's hoping.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  13. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

FFX-2 gameplay was real fun. Although, as Jimmy has pointed out, it could use less hen-night. I mean wtf 3 girls hunting around the world for spheres in bikini outfits? It was pure fan service. The story was decent enough and there were typical FF emotional moments. All in all it wasn't a awesome game, but certainly not bad either.

On that note I hope they'll improve FFXIII gameplay. I believe my biggest issue with FFXIII is that, the gameplay is boring. Hopefully they will also learn from the hentai path they toke in FFX-2, although that seems to be a lost cause if you look at Lightning's medieval prositute outfit.

In any case if they fix the gameplay, keep up the awesome graphics, keep up the awesome character developments and keep a decent story then I am definitely gonna buy it.

14. JimmyCranberry

What medieval prostitutes have you met? Did they all carry swords & shields and have steel plating on their tits? ;P

However, I agree with the sentiment. It appears as if she has merged with Odin, at least appearance-wise. Not so sure how (if at all) it will play into the story, but we'll see.

In the trailer, she seems to suggest that she is standing guard over the legacy of Etro. To avoid spoilers, I won't go into Etro's story, but there are a fair few resources on the internet explaining things.

15. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

No, but two consecutive games might.

FFXIV is such a joke that it's not even funny any more. They lost a fuckton of money with FFXIV's monumental failure, and a huge part of the Japanese gaming community including me (in fact, all of us even remotely interested in FF), are largely disillusioned with Square's performance right now.

There was this lulzy thing about the game though. It's an MMO (there was a thread about it when it came out), and the story's interactive. Which basically means that you participate in Eorzia's wars and battles and shit, and have a hand in developing its 'history', as it were. One server had only 9 players- that's right, an entire server so devoid of players that only 9 people participated in this supposedly history-changing battle, and held off an entire invading army.

To this day, they're known as The Nine Heroes of Server Bohdum.

Ahem.

Agreed. The dev team on the game is supposed to be the Kingdom Hearts team, so hopes are running high. I just watched the demo video, and I'm actually pretty damn psyched for it.

16. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

Met one who fits those requirements and she even has a perverted logo.:D
    [​IMG]

17. JimmyCranberry

Fair enough - the logo slipped my notice, to be honest. I was thinking more along these lines:

[​IMG]

I was massively disappointed with FFXIV, much like I was with XI. It's gotten to the point where I don't even think of them as FF games anymore - at least not as part of the main series.

However I think this is a quality business decision from SquareEnix - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at least 50% of the people who bought FFXIII will buy XIII-2, which, considering the fact that they can probably produce XIII-2 with a budget a fifth of the size of XIII's (same engine, lots of reused material such as environments, characters, animations), means they can rack up a massive profit. This profit can then be pumped into making the rest of their new games awesome. Want Versus and future this-generation installments to be epic? Then buy FFXIII-2. Otherwise, with the relatively low profits they've made recently, they might not be able to afford to churn out many more quality games.

The trailer looks epic. I really hope they take their sweet time and make it utterly awesome. Apparently the battles in the trailer were slowed down for demonstration purposes. In the full game, Noctis is said to be like a blur.

18. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

You seriously think 50% of the people who bought the partial birth abortion that was FFXIII will spend another $60 on a direct sequel? Hell man, I thought I had low expectations for humanity, but you clearly have me beat.

19. JimmyCranberry

The world is full of sheep and, when it comes to FF, I can't deny that I am one of them. Just don't, whatever you do, go on the Gamespot/Gamefaqs boards... I'm not going to post on THERE anymore. I didn't realise quite how many 14 year old fangirls there are for this stuff...

20. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Don't go to the forums on GameFAQs at all. Not to Current Events, not to any game boards, nothing. That whole part of the site and everyone in it are absolute shit and should be purged.