1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Oxy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

Not a fan of the new Final Fantasies. I played VI - IX when I was younger, then played X and got turned off by the franchise. Decided to try XIII, and that failed even more. Probably going to skip this one altogether.

Though now I have an itch to play the old ones again.

2. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I beat this game, but while the graphics were absolutely amazing, the gameplay sucked, the story sucked, the characters sucked, and the overall experience sucked. Buying a sequel for it is not an option for me.

However, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, because they did give me FFVII - FFX which were all very good and had high replay values.

3. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

As soon as I heard the game announced, I checked out the forums just to look for more info. Within 15 minutes or so, the entire messageboard was covered in crap.

I guess that's pretty standard so far as Gamefaqs goes.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This will be one of Squares biggest selling games of all time. Never mind that 13 was pure shit, and they're failing hard with 14. They developed this... I refuse to call it "game", this DLC at the same time they were deving 13, Versus, and 14, so you know it's going to be lacking in a lot of ways. Good FF games take years to come out, you don't spit one out in a year, a year and a half. It's blasphemy.

I agree, this has become their Pokemon, barely any good anymore, spitting them out faster and faster, and just a cash cow at this point. Square go remake Chrono Trigger again, you've done it so many times you shouldn't even have to try anymore, and it's a game even you can't fuck up.

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

...But Pokemon gets better every generation?

6. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Whut. How on earth is Pokemon a cash cow? If you meant all the spin-off merchandise and anime crap, then I agree, but the games are awesome - and they're not exactly rushed out.

Edit: Eh, fair enough, Mid.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. Midknight

They could make a Pokemon game with just the unknown, and fanboys would still rush out and throw their 30-40 bucks down the drain. It's a cash cow/goldmine for them.

8. Midknight

On this note, they've decided to work on yet another FF game at the same time.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/final-fantasy-type0-994/

9. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

10. Midknight

13 -2
    13 Versus

And now Agito, or as you say a renamed Type-0, which I didn't even know about, nor list when I made my post a few steps up, so my point still stands. Not to mention I didn't list FF 15, which they've said they've already started story work on. Spreading too thin, and the work shows it.

11. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    This. Unfortunately, this.

They need to get back to the roots of the series. I-VI created a special genre of games. VII was a masterpiece. Even VIII, and IX can be considered at higher orders of magnitude than most other games. X had some magic, but that was when Square started fumbling the ball.

If it were up to me, I'd propose they actually make VII again, as rumour had it a few years ago they were, with the gaming capability of today. That would be awesome, and may help bring future installments onto the god tier once more.

12. Midknight

If they did it'd be nice if they could make some aspects of the story clearer. I know I didn't understand much of wtf was going on towards the end of the story in 7 at all, and still didn't until I played it again much much later.

I miss the RPGs of the 80s and 90s. Breath of Fire, FF, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Starocean (more an action then an RPG) those games were amazing.

13. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

You know, I would like to see them continue the Chrono Trigger series in my opinion. Chrono Cross had a very unique design, though it had its foibles, but a third one in the series would be great. To me, there are just TOO many Final Fantasy games going on right now.

It's kind of funny since the title implies a finality that we never see. :p.

@Midknight. I would like that as well, not less plot, just something a little less out-there. Something simpler maybe, or more character driven? I can't say Chrono Trigger's plot was not out-there, but in comparison to some of the latest Final Fantasies, it just seemed much more understandable the first time I played through it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  14. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

That's kinda the problem with RPG design today actually. A lot of the games people don't find quality, especially the story, fall into the pitfall of trying to make the story completely understandable and fun for every generation. Which isn't possible. But it's become a bottom line kind of thing where they have to look towards profit, which involves gearing RPGs to everyone.

Square-Enix is especially guilty of it. And it started after the the success and response (some quite negative) to FFVIII. The lack of success with the new FF MMO will actually help in this regard. Square-Enix fired a chunk of design team. While this may only be for their MMO, they're getting it into their heads that the quality of their design has diminished heavily.

Here's to hoping the firings and critical responses are getting to them even more than they're showing.

15. Midknight

Chrono Trigger was interesting. There's not one simple thing that stands out, it's almost all at 10 on a 1 to 10. Some aspects of it were a bit confusing, but on a repeat play through you get and understand many of the themes and story lines. I never did finish Cross, I forget why atm, but I'd like to see a sequel as well instead of them just redoing Trigger again.

Unless they fired their head guys I doubt it, considering they're the ones who said towns and heavy story only took away from the gameplay. Story in my RPG? Hell no, more pretty hallways!

16. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

LOL. I remember Cross very well, and I'm thinking there may have been a few rage moments involved, there were for me. Or not rage, more like WTF is going-on, but I kept playing regardless. If they made a sequel and kept the preachy shit, hated that ending, toned down I would love it.

17. Midknight

I think I remember jumping back and forth and having a really hard time figuring out what was going on, even with the guides explaining it to me. I remember something about a fortress making my emulator crash so I think that was why I stopped playing it.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

type-0?

TYPE-MOON CROSSOVER! :awesome.

No, but really, meh, just meh.

I liked it when the main character was male. :\

Notice a trend?

X-2 Yuna

XII Whatsherface

XIII Lightning

XIII-2 THUNDER!

Versus shall redeem.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Vaan was a guy. >.>

20. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I think he was talking about Ashe. Vaan was just kind of there plot wise for the majority of the game.