1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Firefly OOC Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by enembee, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You only take the highest two dice no matter how many you roll, right? I just rolled three d8's, and while it says the total's fourteen, the total of the highest two is eleven. Just making sure I did that right.

Also hoping this'll be an adequate distraction.

Oh, and I rolled with my actual character name instead of the profile name this time, since I'm slow and I just caught that. Is there any way to remove the "DLP_Aviary" character on the Invisible Castle campaign page or is it stuck there?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Precisely. Once you've rolled, you can spend Plot Points to add die from your roll to your final calculation. Aek did this on his last roll. Or you can spend a plot point to roll a Big Damn Hero die after your roll. If it jinxes, you can opt to take it back and save it for another time (you lose the PP permanently though)

3. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Sorry I haven't posted, having an existential crisis of sorts IRL. Buncha things got thrown at me, including the book so I'm just now working my way through the last of the bullshit. I'll likely be able to get Momo up to speed before end of night tonight.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

If you find something else later on you're welcome to change it, but I think it works. Especially considering that it's kind of true about my character that he doesn't really appreciate the easy life he had. He managed to screw it up quite easily only because he was bored :p

I rolled a recovery roll for the Trojan and added my focus die this time. Hope that's all right Enembee.

5. enembee

High Score:
    Just so you guys are aware. Basilisk takes a new complication, having jinxed the recovery roll on his last. Remember, this doesn't give you a PP and you can't try again for the rest of the scene.

Aek has an opportunity from a jinx I rolled and Aviary has three opportunities, one from before which still hasn't been resolved and two from a roll this time up. They'll disappear at the end of the scene, so use them if you want them.

6. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

That made me laugh!

Just to be sure, I removed the Trojan but I have a new complication? Oh and do I get Big Damn Hero Die because I succeed with a 20 against 9?

7. enembee

High Score:
    Oh, nice catch. Yes you do. Take a D8 Big Damn Hero Die, Aek too for that matter.

8. Red Aviary

High Score:
    So now that we're seeing combat on my front, how does it work? Would I just have to make a Fighting roll that beats his or is there more involved? (I've mostly been playing Pathfinder and Savage Worlds, I'm used to more involved combat rules.) I'm also going to have to read to see how Opportunities and such work.

I've got a session for my own campaign tonight but I'll work on my next entry after.

9. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

And, shit. Rolled a jinx. Though with so many rolls that's not surprising. Anyway, I stepped back researcher to get a plot point, so I should have two now.

10. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Nick's next move would be to go see Sinh and talk to her about Wolfe, but I don't want to overwrite whatever Lamora (and you) night have to say to one another... should I just wait till he posts?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you meant Will, not Nick, Cteatus.

Edit: Nevermind, found a post's worth of actions.

11. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

You're right, I did mean Will. Fixed. Thanks.

12. enembee

High Score:
    Woah. Woah. There's been some confusion here with regards to dice rolls. I just spotted what Basilisk said. When you make up your dice pool you can only have one attribute, one skill, one distinction, one signature asset, one specialty, etc. The only dice type you're ever going to have multiples of are complications or assets.

Essentially, you both roll fighting, or shooting rolls, which ever is appropriate. Whoever comes off worse is taken out. You can spend a plot point to take a complication but your opponent has the choice to either create a new complication at the height of the largest dice he rolled (2D8, 1D10 pool becomes a complication at a D10) or to step up an existing complication. If a complication is stepped up higher than a D12 you're taken out regardless.

13. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

Fixed. I think. And now I didn't roll a jinx so, that's cool.

14. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Oh! Sorry about that. My bad on that front. Do you want me to make any changes considering that?

I also have a question, when we have complications. We don't roll any kind of die right? Basically, the die for the complication determine the GM Stakes?

15. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

Unless its an opportunity, I think?

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay, I'm going to use my Opportunity to step back The Gorram Law, spending my last plot point in the process. Then I'm going to roll Notice, because I'm awesome like that. IC post incoming.

17. enembee

High Score:
    Leave it now, I didn't spot it the first time, but it's worth keeping in mind for future rolls.

Correct, it adds an extra die to the GM Stakes pool.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Complications are basically extra dice that the GM has available to use when rolling to set stakes or in a conflict. To get rid of a Complication you've got to 'step it back' to a d4 by spending plot points. Taking the Gorram Law [D8] as an example, I used the Opportunity NMB gave me by rolling a jinx to spend a plot point and step it back to a [D6].

If someone else were to use an Opportunity to step it back again, the sheriff would cease to have that die at his disposal when rolling against us.

EDIT: Holy Shit. I just rolled 2d10 + 1d4 and got 23. God damn that's awesome. I believe I get a Big Damn Hero die [D8] for that as well. Holy shit balls.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  19. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Right, so, spent both my Plot Points, one to step back that Rowdy Locals d6 complication and one to make sure that Fighting attempt succeeded using my Big Damn Hero die. The description might be overzealous, but I thought with a 17 vs. a 10 it'd more or less fit (obviously swat me down if I'm out of line).

It doesn't look like combat is too drawn out in this system. Which is cool, actually. Honestly in the campaign I was just doing earlier tonight I thought combat could be a lot more simplified.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  20. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Finally figured everything out that's needed with enembee's help. IC post incoming tonight.

Ironically my buddy and I are going to start our annual rewatch of Firefly tonight as well, lol.