1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

First Time Computer Builder: Any Advice for this set-up?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Evan Tide, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

How much of a boost is that SSD?

Also, I don't really need a big monitor. Just one that can run HDMI, VGA, and DVI and is at least 21".

So early, I was told that the AMD CPU sucks, so I reverted back to the i5.

How's this new set-up?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Hyo

2. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. se7en

se7en Professor

I fully support spending good money on the things that matter most: Computer peripherals.

Depending on what you're doing, spending the extra money on things like an IPS panel monitor, mechanical keyboard, or ergonomic mouse is extremely worthwhile.

If you type a lot on the computer, like writing fanfiction, essays, chatting, I would highly recommend a mechanical keyboard. Mechanical keyboards can run pretty high on price though.

Keyboard:

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate ~80USD
    KBC Poker ~100USD
    Noppoo Choc Mini ~100USD
    Leopold FC200R ~100USD
    Das Keyboard ~130USD

My keyboard, the Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Browns w/ PBT keycaps. ~160USD

Mouse:

I don't have much experience with mouses, but if you're thinking about gaming or anything, I would stay away from the smaller, wireless mouses.

I use a MX 518 from Logitech, but there is also a newer generation MX518, the G400

Monitor:

Now this is going to be the thing you're going to be looking at every second you're on a computer. If you're into photography, photoshop, video editing, or anything visual, I would recommend getting an IPS monitor.

The upside: Much better color. Much better viewing angles. Beautiful.

The downside: Costs a lot more. Can't go back to old TN panel monitor because the difference is so staggering. Some monitors tend to ghost, as the ms response time is slower than TN panel monitors.

This is what I'm using: HP ZR24w

Also, great decision on the SSD. Make sure you're getting one with SATA III, and make sure your motherboard supports SATA III.

Don't forget: If you want to do some hardcore gaming, think about investing in a heatsink, like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Make sure your Power Supply is 80+ certified, and considering you have a window on the side of your computer, think about getting a modular power supply.

Your graphics card, the 560ti, can pretty much max out anything out there right now, especially with the resolution you're probably playing at. If you want just medium specs for recent games, I would try something a lot cheaper.

I don't know if I'm forgetting anything, but good luck!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

You can save a little bit on the monitor. I bought a 23in Acer moniter for $150.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5&cm_sp=Cat_Monitors-_-Hot_Deals-_-24-009-255
    Daily deal:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_sp=Cat_Monitors-_-Daily_Deal-_-24-254-068

---------- Post automerged at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Also if you are in college and in some kind of science or engineering department, you might be eligible for Msdnaa which lets you get windows 7 for free.

5. potter

potter Raptured to Hell

Decent rig in my opinion. Better than mine and I can play Crysis 2 with high graphics. I just have an i3 and geforce 9800 gt. Your setup will get more than 35 fps with medium graphics in my opinion.

6. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

I would take 16GB RAM. It's not that much more expensive.

7. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming soon.

Anything new pop up recently that would improve the build?

8. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Depending on discounts, try to fit a gtx 570 or a hd6970 into your budget over the gtx 560 ti.

Otherwise no, nothing new has been released (for your price range)