1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Footage from a new Harry Potter RPG may have been leaked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Download, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yep. Either this will be a shitshow because it's tacked on for progressive credit, or it will be handled with care.

2. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

My plan is to pick it up second hand as I really wanna play it but also fuck putting cash in JK's pocket.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or, you know, show some testicular fortitude and don't play a game tied to someone you supposedly hate.

5. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Regardless of her views, any money she makes in general is more likely to go to charity or the government rather than support some nefarious purpse.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, as of 2013 Forbes estimated her charitable donations to be between 150-200 million and she's given away a hell of a lot more since then. But sure she doesn't share opinions with you so she's evil.

Anyway, back to talking about the game. I will definitely buy it, play it and be disappointed because my expectations got the better of me. As for the character creation who cares? Magic!

7. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I also think to some degree the impact of boycotting on wealthy individuals (as opposed to corporations, which are profit seeking) is overstated.

You spending 50$ on a game, of which say 20$ goes to Joanne, makes literally no difference to her wellbeing. When you're a billionaire, it's just tiny numbers which tick up or down.

8. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Stoked as hell for this game. I hope the in game lore is good. The fandom needs some good material to mine for fanfiction.

If you can pick your house which will you all be choosing?

9. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I don't hate J.K. Rowling.

I think she's terribly misinformed and she uses her platform to spread misinformation.

But I don't think her views come from a place of hatred.

Especially when you look at the era she grew up in where women's identities were being fought for by women like Germaine Greer.

Also it's a fucking game, it's not like I'm funding an anti trans interment camp.

Shall I have the quotes from HP I have tattooed removed from my body in an act of defiance, too?

10. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

That's actually a really good point and something I hadn't considered!

I really just want two things to be prominent in the game.

The duelling - I'd love to see this developed into more than just a gun based battle but I'm unsure how. My favourite duel, like most people I'd imagine, was the DoM fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort but that's hard to translate into a screen.

The magical world - Fantastic Beasts 1 was great for this. Seeing the different beasts, the magical world of America, that was the tits.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The lore is the part I am the most wary of. Video game mechanics mean that there's very likely to be some form of restriction on the frequency of your spells - a mana system, or a cool-down system, or something like that. Which is absolutely fine as a video game mechanic. But I fear that this will leak into fanfic as magical exhaustion.

In any event, by all accounts JKR has tangential involvement at best. So I will be adopting the position that the game is not canon, even if it contains cool stuff that I like.

But I think cool stuff is quite unlikely. Fanfic shows that when non-JKR people get involved with Harry Potter, they tend to import into the world all sorts of ideas from other, more generic fantasy, like wards, magical exhaustion, magic-as-energy, "magical thermodynamics", etc. It's a very rare fanfic author who is able to twist their mind into thinking of magic in the same fairy-tale-logic, "the other side has magic too" terms as JKR, and I am fairly sure the same will hold for this game's developers, who are no doubt deeply embedded within pre-existing norms of video games/RPGs.

12. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Anyone remember if the old HP games did that? I remember playing the first 2-3 games back in the day but that was a very long time ago.

13. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe we'll be lucky and the limit on your casting will be determined by how quickly you can cast your spells, with methods for increasing the speed of your wand movements and such.

I'd nut if certain spells had a speed bonus depending on which spell they followed. Chain cast like it's 2005.

14. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I just want to, almost literally, transfigure all of the fucking things. All of them.

15. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I am pretty sure most Harry Potter Games don't have something like that, I just looked at the spellcasting in let's plays of several games and none seemed to have a restriction on how much you could cast.

16. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think it was just that you could cast one spell at a time and there were animations every time you cast. But I only played the CoS games for Gamecube, might've been different elsewhere.

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is the only HP game I ever played. I remember being bitterly disappointed when finding out even when I replayed it countless times to reach max level, I still couldn't access Second Year. Turn based combat aside, I remember thinking that your spells growing stronger the more you used them in fights was peak game design. Maybe we'll see something similar here.

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I can see a system that works like upgrading your weapons in FF7R working quite well with spells. Each spell you learn has a kind of web of unlockable upgrades which add more abilities or makes it stronger/bigger etc. As you use the spell, you earn points which you can use to unlock those upgrades.