1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

So we finally got another update, and this chapter goes to show how Noodle is able to keep you interested in his story. If he could keep every chapter at this level he'd be a 5/5 author for sure.

Dicra Voldemort's not back yet but this chapter is definitely worth reading.

2. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I'm not sure about 5/5 but Noodlehammer would be a solid 4/5 if he'd stop putting in shitty political commentary.

3. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    "Nothing short of a god will be able to stop it."

HERE WE GO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. The uber wizard will be formed whether we like it or not, can't say I'm to surprised though.

Inb4 it's just Xanna and Naruto trolling the mortals for shits and gigs. He's already alluded to them earlier on. Won't be surprised if at the conclusion they join up in merry camaraderie and raid other universes (book/movie series) together. Here;s hoping for Star Wars or Marvel next up in line.

I agree with Donimo on the commentary, it sometimes gets a little annoying the whole deal with "oh just make drugs legal and let it work itself out" is a little naive and vastly oversimplifies a complex issue. The lightning on the church was kinda hilarious though.

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

iamnotreal When did the author allude to Naruto and Xanna in this fic?

Also about the political bits. He's trying to mock politics and a variety of other things in this fic so usually I find it more humorous than anything else.

5. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    @Peter North I cant copy directly from FF however the passage is within chapter 26 about 3/4 the way down the page it begins, "Look, even the gods approve... on the arse".

Although they don't mention them directly its either a joke for previous audiences or potential foreshadowing.

We are specifically drawn through Harry's comment to the 'horns and fanged grin' traits of the cloud, hallmarks of their unique physiology. Even the offhand remark about naked females playing volleyball lies consistent with his personality.

Personally I hope they play no roll whatsoever in this story.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  6. Rooster

Rooster Squib

High Score:
    I read this story as soon as an update is made, but that just goes to show I have problems finding anything good to read.

The fact that Harry-in-name-only is less over the top than his Naruto-in-name-only only goes to highlight just how big of a douche Harry is. Even though he is more nuanced than the previous asshole he's written it's still pretty much the same asshole. It's not going to stink any less.

After a review I've left on a chapter Noodlehammer messaged me and I had to explain to him why I think Harry is a Mary Sue, and that I didn't appreciate how lightly he takes the idea of monogamy (it came up in recent chapter with Tonks re-entering Harry's harem. Looks like getting the D made her addicted to it. Go figure. Thinking that for once a character might see the fucked up situation and not want to be in it was too much to hope for).

It's clear that Noodlehammer really believes what he writes. He doesn't see any reasons why monogamy might be good. Absolutely none. I refuse to get drawn into that sort of argument, because it's clear I wouldn't have convinced him of anything. That's his imagined ideal state and it makes me more than a little disturbed, because if you stop enjoying the guilty pleasure and start thinking about things his protagonist comes across as a little rape-y. I know it's written in a way that girls throw themselves at Harry, but I can't stop thinking about how they have no character, no way of saying 'no'. His Naruto was likewise rape-y while hipocritically despising rapists, but at least back then I could roll my eyes and just go along with it.

By adding some depth he removed the illusion of how shallow this story really is, so I wouldn't rate it highly.

7. Robbery

Robbery Squib

High Score:
    Story is going downhill recently. The Author getting pissed and adding more lemons just because he is angry with FFN and some of the readers(and admitting to the reason) isn't helping matters.

Maybe the story is in a slow area and it will get exciting soon, but at the moment it's just way too many lemons.

8. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The sex as always is medicore, for a fic that keep plenty of lemons they are quite bad

Regarding the last chapter

pseudo science and research which Harry turned into a mockery again Sue/Stue say hello, or everyone is idiot except Harry.
    the scene with Garrick Ollivander especially was eye sore, the conclusions Harry reached or found can be reached by any wizard/witch that bother.
    He tried to sound clever and ended medicore.
    Plus there was all the rant about his anti monogamy or pro Harry life style.
    The arguments were weak and meh.
    Postive notions
    The all practical dealing with Greyback
    Pro active with dead-eathers.
    Less with his all less experiment on prisoners

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

This is a guilty pleasure fic pure and simple. I must say that I'm confused by some of the polygamy hate. Is it because it goes against peoples beliefs on relationships or is it something else? As for the sex Jon said it before if you've read his other fics you'll see it just comes with the author.

I personally didn't get anything from this chapter it wasn't good or bad just another chapter that moved things along very little. Personally I was kind of disappointed in how he dealt with Greyback it was too quick and would have been a great place to expand upon werewolves.

If your going to this fic for gritty realism and drama your in for disappointment. Personally I can see why he gets annoyed surely if you've read this far into the fic you really shouldn't be complaining about the way he writes it.

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Just taking a guess, but the reason why people hate this kind of shit (harems/polygamy) is because the individuals who are sharing their partner with others just happen to be completely fine with it. They're basically robbed of agency and free will, they're just there to show off how great and absolutely fantastic the protagonist is. They're not actual characters, so much as props for the main character to stand on and stand above the rest.

Note: I've only skimmed through this pile of shit, and that was very early on, before I gave up on it.

11. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    Personally I feel this is his worst work however and perhaps feeds into why people hate onto the lemons so much. He was able to set a cracking place with (better placed imo) lemons in previous works and kept the word count under 500k.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

At this point he's doing it to spite the people who would rather he didn't. Kinda pitiful tbh.

13. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Update

Once you skip the Veela's "Feast of Satiation", Fleur's pregnant grandmother and other filler. The story finally comes to a head Dicra. Voldemort will return and Draco will bring him back. Maybe Noodle will throw in another curve and have Dumbledore join Voldemort.

14. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    So, now Harry will be sought out by a horde of hot women after his super-duper magical sperm. Noodlehammer really can't help himself.

On the bright side, finally Voldemort. He was hyped by Harry himself, I think we can hope for a real conflict this time. Until Harry becomes Uberwizard, that is.

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm especially curious to see which of Harry's girls get killed off before he faces Voldemort.

16. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Hmm, I can't see Harry pulling a Reaching for a Dream! Naruto though. There he left his 'little sisters' stay dead; Harry is more likely to obsess over bringing them back. Which actually would cement his place as the Uberwizard since death is a major roadblock in HP.

17. syed

syed Supermod

Harry could imply to the veela that he would look more favorable on those who went after the death eaters. I doubt they would expect such an attack.

I wonder if Harry could use magic to shape his potential children via veela. Possibly create sons with them.

18. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry also doesn't hold any responsibility, it is the witches that have to take anti pregnancy potion, he doesn't take any measure to prevent the outcome.
    Again the entire sex aspects is done poorly and derailing the plot.
    I follow it, because I don't have better stuff to do, but each chapter force me to reconsider it more and more.

The glass over, that his firstborn he fathered with his girlfriend/wife grandmother.

19. Robbery

Robbery Squib

High Score:
    Well to be fair to NoodleHammer,

He had mentioned that there aren't any magical male contraceptive options available to Harry because of his rituals.
    Fleurs grandmother was past the childbearing age for Veela and didn't think that Harry's magic would be that potent(or something) so she never bothered with contraception either.

I would assume that he simply got used to the girls in his life taking those measures and forgot about normal preventive measures?
    Plus is was mentioned that Veela need a specific potion keyed to them and the generic charm wont work.

Im waiting to see if this makes Harry carve another rune ....there somewhere.... kinda like the seal Naruto had in Reaching for A Dream.

20. sairafius

sairafius Squib

High Score:
    I'm sorry but this fic is almost too awful for words in my opinion. I think even My Immortal might be better.