1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

WIP For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Weird flex but ok.

2. GeneralLee01

GeneralLee01 Squib

High Score:
    How about y'all PM me if you wanna make fun of me instead of posting off topic in this thread.

3. pbluekan

pbluekan Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Posting off topic is half the fun.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I have nothing against you at all, why would I want to insult you in private?

5. Donimo

Donimo Groundskeeper

Public shaming has more effect on behavior.

6. valrie

valrie Squib

I thought the fic was amusing and had some interesting ideas on magic (amongst all the super op stuff that Harry does for fun) like that permanent magic and especially wards depend on ownership.
    I mean it's obviously not a beauty but all the hating seems a bit much. Maybe most absolutely terrible fics are not hated on that much because everybody sensible stops reading after the first paragraph when the author can't spell or use basic grammar and more people actually read this one because Noodlehammer can write like a normal person.
    And there was always something going on, no 10k words on a subject like shopping that nobody cares about (as far as I remember). Because for all that most of us seem to disagree with him on things like religion, politics and their interaction with magic, these are topics that are important to the worldbuilding of a good fic. And I thought that his political actions were not unreasonable given what his character was established as, sociopathic, edgy and with an I'm-better-than-you mentality and had so much power that nobody could seriously oppose him anyways. It also highlighted just how easy it would be to control somebody who completely opposes magic like those Muslims he terrorized. Because they have absolutely no way of stopping him. So I'd say it's an interesting case study to look at and see where you need some sort of explanation to prevent an easy magic cheat.
    But I agree that he was just too overpowered and that killed any kind of conflict and tension that could have existed. So it's at most a guilty pleasure fic.

7. GeneralLee01

GeneralLee01 Squib

High Score:
    Because that is so effective on an anonymous forum...

8. Donimo

Donimo Groundskeeper

This isn't an anonymous forum.

9. zugrian

zugrian First Year

Looking back, it's obvious why the author killed off Hermione immediately-- the story only had room for one insufferable know-it-all & his HarryOC had already claimed the spot.