1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Forging the Sword by Myst Shadow - PG13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by DreamRed, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

I have been waiting for a fic like this and it exceeded my expectations. Great job.

2. TimeMage

TimeMage Guest

I am really enjoying this fic so far. The chapter are not too small :)

Rating 4/5(could grow into 5/5 depends on how it goes)

3. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is one of the better stories I've seen in a while for the Independent genre (if Jbern would just get to his sequel of Bungle). I'm more then a bit relieved that this won't be slash as I tried to read one of the and jumped back in horror. Their isn't much wrong to be said. I like the characterizations and the plot. Good work. 5/5 for now.

4. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

has been updated on ffn.net

5. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

The only complaint I could possibly have is the slow update time and the short-ish chapters. However there is nothing wrong with the content itself.
    It's refreshing to read about a 12 year old who acts like a 12 year old with a slow buildup of power. It's not difficult to imagine this Harry being able to further fine-tune his uncontrolled magic into wandless and other branches. And considering the detail that the author has put into the magical theory so far makes me believe the rest will be just as quality.

6. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

I appreciate the slow buildup. It's interesting that the author has worked a great deal in developing an actual set of rules for magic (even if they are sketched out)
    I'm left wondering if this sort of exercise will help or hinder his normal magical development and whether or not it will act like "exercise" for his magical strength.

So far I'll give it a 4/5 because the plot still needs development. The individual components are quite good... but so far there's a lot of "tying together" that needs to be done for the story.

A serious plus though is No Ginny.

7. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

I liked the new chapter. Not quite as much as the others, but still very much. It was cleverly thought out, but there just wasn't quite enough action for me to really get into it. Here's hoping for it in the next chapter when he confronts the Dursleys.

8. M. Shadow

M. Shadow Squib

Updated, if anyone's still interested. ^_^

I'd be interested in knowing what people think of Ron Weasley in general - most people seem to just loathe him, and I admit canon gives good reason. Still, I've always thought the characterization done by Rowling was poor: one moment he's willing to fight and die for Harry, the next he's storming off in a huff? I mean, what the hell?

Also, bootcamp is not for the faint of heart, but it's definitely worth it if you feel called to the service. ;-) Two and a half months sans internet access aside, it's not quite the "hell on earth" some movies make it out to be. Not that I'd volunteer to go through twice.

And in my preview to the next chapter, I mention a take on "wandless magic" that seems quite a bit different from the typical feelings of most "lets superpower Harry!" authors. I'm wondering if you all will agree?

9. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Holy Shit.

I used to love this story and where it could go but I thought it was totally abandoned.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It was excellent, but I'm guessing that since updates will be few and far between, I won't really try to follow this story.

11. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

The chapter was really good. The idea of kids taking the law into their own hands because the adults are all too cautious/uncaring/law-abiding was really well done. And the idea of using Ginny's death to turn Harry and Co. into a much more serious and focussed group - I am not aware of any similar attempts. I mean - even after Sirius and Cedric's deaths, it is mostly `Tee hee - I will dabble in the dark arts (or maybe just magic), and become powerful' in most stories, rather than a single minded concentration to do what needs to be done. As long as the story continues along similar lines, I will keep following it. Hopefully, the update rate of the story will pick up.

12. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Man, I'm glad to see this update. I consider this one of the smartest and best starts to an AU Third Year I've seen in several years of fandom. Probably the best part of it is that Harry actually gets serious--not because of betrayal by his friends, but with them. I'm not exactly a fan of Ron or Hermione as they were portrayed after PoA, but I like the fact that they change (so far) in response to a realistic tragedy (though I could also argue that murdering Ginny would be a good deed and not a tragedy).

Many authors seem to forget that characters can drive a story, even when magic is a big part of it. So far, this one hasn't. And that really appeals to me. I hope the update rate improves, but I like what I've seen so far.

13. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Damn but this was good. I'd actually thought that it was abandoned or something. And the thing I liked best was that the author did not make some sort of dues ex machina to pop Sirius out of Azkaban.

14. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

I have been a fan of this for some time, but the one problem with it is the horrendously slow update rate. I liked the change shown in Harry's attitude and how he is able to look beyond his emotions. Lots of places you could take this. Looking forward to your next update.

15. Lightning_Fury

Lightning_Fury Sent Back to India

I remember when this story only had like 2 chapters and I was totally addicted like a baby to candy.

Seriously characterization is awesome in this story and it sums up everything I want in a Darker Harry Potter. Love it.

16. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Damn...I'm glad I went through the other library threads and found this one on the top. Thanks, Blaise. 4.5/5

17. Anme

Anme Professor

Wow, I just read it and I really like it. It's great 5/5

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Just read it, and it is epic. Horrid update rate though. It's too early to tell how the story will turn out, as major decisions still have to be made, but... 5/5 for now, tentatively.

19. Seer

Seer First Year

After the authors fondness for writing slash (check out his profile), I find myself hesitant to pick this up

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

We know the author favors dick-on-dick (read the thread). And read the stories - it's legit.