1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Fractal by OnTheImportanceOfLungs - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Tommy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Well, than you're nit picking idiots :)

2. mort

mort Groundskeeper

I like this fic considerably, seeing as how I reviewed just about every other chapter; but recently (more or less the last 2-3) chapters I found...not as good you might say. For me Harry in this fic is way too over the top. If this was about an adult Harry who was just discovering the true magical world after the sheltered experience of Hogwarts...well it would probably go much better than a Garry Stu-ish Harry who understands and implements complex alchemical theories while being in the first year.

3.5 rounded up to 4

3. Punt

Punt DA Member

3.5/5 for me. The characterization is cringe-worthy at times like during the scene at Bones Manor. The characters don't act like kids which really bothers me. I had really hoped you would have tried a somewhat different personality for Daphne this time but was somewhat disappointed.

As I am a fan of Nasu's works, the naming didn't really bother me. Sounds pretty much like something Nasu would write.

4. Tommy

Tommy The Green Ranger

You know what... Just... fucking...

Okay, let's try that again.

The trick with this fic is to lose yourself in the music and dizzy vortex of Fractal. It's complex and the characters are interwoven enough with the plot that, to those tuned in to the fic, will make sense.

I don't think you guys are feelin' this shit, I don't.

5. mort

mort Groundskeeper

The thing is it's not too hard to 'lose yourself in the music and dizzy vortex of Fractal.' and that's why I gave a 4 in the end. However, a fanfic that wants to carry on for an extended period of time is not simply a short drinking binge, especially because of the time between the posting of chapters which allows for fridge logic to be applied.
    So while we can 'feel this shit' it is slightly prone to cause a hangover, if you will, that makes you feel that in retrospect it could have been done better.
    Well that's the case for me at the least.

6. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Best thing I've read in months.

5/5

7. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    So I didn't give this a rating earlier because I was lazy and didn't feel like reviewing, so I reached for the low hanging fruit and acted like a douche. Anyways, this fic is a 5/5 imo but I'm subtracting a point due to bias on my own part. I definitely see flaws in the story, but as someone who loves all of the series involved I can ignore them. I usually wouldn't, but the way Lungs meshed the system together just makes me squeal.

The only thing that bothers me in the story are some of the characters, but it's pretty minor. Draco's character changed pretty rapidly simply due to plot convenience, and Daphne is... idk bleh. She just doesn't seem to have a set character. I really loved the little that was shown of Hermione though, a minor change to make her waaaaay more likable, but she still feels like Hermione.

I am way more fond of this Harry than the previous incarnation, simply due to his character evolving due to progress of power. Dumbledore being firm, and Harry seemingly stifled shows that he will eventually rebel imo. I've already mentioned in a previous review of FF.Net that I thought Fleur defeating Lucius was ridiculous, but I think I'll accept and probably like it after Lungs shows/explains her some more.

The OCs/Character inserts from other universes are interesting, in the way they are presented to fit this universe, I like it. I love the magic system, but I don't feel like spending a paragraph gushing about it.

Final Note-Flamel is a bamf, and he will defineitly pass on the Truth to Harry. Make it happen Lungs
    4/5

8. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm sorry Lucky, you like Hermione more? o.0 I think she's much less likeable when spouting on about how everyone will love her.

9. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Is this purely HP or are there crossovers?

10. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I'd say it's more of a fusion Alexx. Also, Bossy!Hermione vs Naive!Hermione is an obvious choice. I am disappoint Ollie.

11. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Those aren't the choices though, it's Dedicated!Hermione vs MeanGirls!Hermione to me :p