1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

French Language and Culture Help

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Tinn Tam, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Because of the characters of Fleur and Gabrielle Delacour, several authors use French sentences/elements of French culture in their fictions. And the result is often... well...

Okay, let me say it bluntly: online translators suck. When someone normally intelligent is using them, online translators cause a character to speak in infinitives and to sound more like Tarzan than like a Veela. If it's, unfortunately, a slightly retarded person using them, 'Bill' end up being called 'facture' in French. Also, the French accent is often butchered, thus becoming even more painful to read. And the French don't eat frogs every day. And they don't eat bacon at breakfast. And...

Well, you got my point. "Prendre tes vêtements de", "Je t'aime facture" and "'Arry, I 'ove 'ou and I always 'ill no 'atter 'at" are mistakes than can easily be avoided.

So, since there is one thing I'm sure I'm good at, I decided to make myself useful, for a change. If you have questions about French language and culture, you may post them in this thread (or PM them to me if you like that way better).

By questions, I mean: precisions about French culture (food, customs etc.), about France (towns, landscape, architecture etc.), lines to translate, or eventually lines you want to be written with a good 'French accent'.

However, you shouldn't worry about the French accent; it only requires to stick to the following rules:

Last thing: apart from me, there are two French-speakers on the board that I know of: MadBiologist and lnky. They may answer your questions too (though I haven't asked them to participate yet, so I won't make assertions).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    ROFL

for people who don't speak french: "I love you, Bill (the bill you have to pay/receipt)"

Tinn Tam: Hopefully you'll be able to put an end to the atrocious use of French on ff.net in English fics. At least try anyway.

I can't say I know anything about France's culture but I can help in grammar and proper use of vocabulary.

Good luck with the purging of all the *facture* out there. :p

3. MadBiologist

MadBiologist Second Year

That's a great idea, Tinn ! Though I'm not a true Frenchman, I'll be glad to help anyone with French translation.

It's very frustrating to read a great story and then find Fleur or Gabrielle speaking like a "vache espagnole". (No offence whatsoever intended towards Spaniards)

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'd just like to say this is a brilliant idea and I hope people take advantage of your generosity here. I know I'd have loved someone fluent in Mandarin helping me out with a few lines in my last long fic.

And considering many don't know the first thing about most foreign languages even putting in the effort to research, use a translator, and/or consult an old school book may give you spotty results at best. But someone who speaks the language... great idea Tinn Tam.

Now if only we had some Latinos willing to help out with Latin...
    (If I didn't say it, someone else would.)

5. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

I have some basics in Latin (highschool basics), and I still have my old grammar, Gaffiot (French/Latin dictionary) and Latin textbooks somehwere on a shelf... So I may be of some help there too. Although I can't promise anything.

6. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Nonjon, we are not amused. But it would be nice to get some people who knew Latin. I have a personal latin-ifier, but I'm sure that loads of people on DLP would be quite happy to help with it.

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I also had Latin in high-school, but unfortunately, that was one of the subjects I cheated my way through. Hmm, there's a lesson there somewhere, but I'm not quite sure what it is...

8. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    That you can cheat and still get your Diploma? Seems like a pretty good lesson to me.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hell yeah! That's the one!

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Good work, Tinny. :D

I know where to go if I need any help in French.

11. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Just wanted to say that Tinn Tam just hired me for helping you guys so if you have any questions, well any French related questions just ask me.

I will try to be as helpfull as I can be.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Well, I know a fair bit in latin if anyone needs help. and No I don't use a shitty online translater, said Shitty online translators made me take up latin Four years ago. :p