1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Friends or family?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, Sep 2, 2006.

?

Friends or family?

1. Friends all the way, baby!

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I'm not really sure.

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Family ftw!

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Neither.

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

The clue's in the title. Which do you trust more? Which do you like more? And most importantly, why?

For me, it has to be family all the way. I've got some wonderful friends, some of which are almost like family, but they don't hold a candle to the real thing. This is mainly because of the family-orientated way that I was raised and the fact that I've had great luck with my family - not just immediate, but distant relatives as well. Call me old-fashioned but that's just the way I am.

What brought this question to mind was two things; one was "Friends" (the hit sitcom) and also the HP series. In both these cases friends were valued as higher than family (though with Harry you could argue that he had no choice). It would be interesting to see which way DLP swings but I have a sneaky feeling most here will choose friends.

Edit: Actually, it occured to me that most might choose neither.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  2. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Family... I don't have the gift for making great friends, so you might say I don't have much of a choice :).

I can understand that very well. We're a kind of old-fashioned family as well... There are the grandparents on top of the pyramid and all the descendants know each other (more or less). I know all my first cousins (of course), but also my second cousins and a few who are even more vaguely related to me. There are all the great family gatherings, the holidays spent together etc. It creates quite strong bonds.

So yeah... That's family for me. Most of my cousins are also my friends anyway, so matters are simpler for me.

3. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I really don't trust anyone that much, but friends come and go threw life, but family stays the same. So I would go with family.

However it all depends on the issue and some family I wouldn’t trust at all, but if I had equal trust in a family member or a friend, I would go with family.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

There is the saying, "Blood is thicker than water." which is quite true. But then there is also the saying, "Family puts up with you because they have too, friends put up with you because they want too." or something like that.

Bleh. I wouldnt have a clue. I'm close to my mum, dad, brother and sister, but other than that, I dont really know the rest of them that well apart from a few cousins and uncles. I just wasnt really into all them family gathering things.

Same with friends. I had a few real close ones, but I pretty much got along with anyone I met. Doesnt mean I'd trust half of them as far as I could kick 'em.

5. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

I think it just depends on the situation really. There are certain things that I would find too embarrising to talk to family about, but not to friends, and others that I could only talk to family about but no one else. And for the friends, there's really only one that I could trust not to tell anyone something that I told him in confidence.

For something really secretive though, I wouldn't tell anyone. I'm not sure if it's because I don't trust any of them, or because I'd rather just not take a risk of someone else finding out; it's really just instinct.

If it came down to one of those hypothetical 'choose who lives or dies' situations, then I would probably choose family over friends. I think it's mostly in the way that I was raised, that family was considered the most important thing out there.

6. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Family. I do have a lot of good friends, but a lot of people that were my friends, soon find a new group and become assholes. Family never does that.

7. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

hmm, I think I can easily say that I trust my Family the most, for I am not talking to any of the same friends as I had been 5 years ago, except for a few.

But, I can easily say I like my friends more. I like my family yes, but I don't spend my time with them rather than spending it out with my friends.

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Family I have more Blackmail material on them to keep them in line then I do my friends.

9. UnholyWarlord

UnholyWarlord Fourth Year

The Great Icy wasteland that is known as Canada
    I'd say family. I'm from a massive Scottish-Irish family, there's a hundread of us in my town alone. My family's also very tight-knit, I'm close with nearly all of my local relatives.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  10. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I love my family but most of them I don't like, there's a difference. The only family I'm close to is immediate family, because although my family is huge, most of them are back-stabbing bastards.

My friends I prefer because we have mutual respect, even then I still wouldn't trust them with everything. But I'd trust a friend with more than my family.

So basically I voted for neither because the only person I really 100% trust is myself. But then I'm a cynic,

Litha

11. The Hungry Basilisk

The Hungry Basilisk Raptured to Hell

I'm the youngest, the black sheep and have a different father to my older brothers, I was the result of a drunken one night 'affair' with a travelling punk/rock musician (no one famous though he apparently looked like David Vanian from The Damned) who my mother can't remember the name of, I do have one good thing though, I am quite petit for a 21 year old guy and I have been told I am the spits of Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day and my Bro's are all big ugly fuckers! They all have blonde hair and were in the Army and I have black hair and Greeny-blue eyes and work in Music production.

They teased me my whole life for looking like a girl.

So It's friends I'm afraid.
    My family all hate me! Especially my "Dad" who always disliked me because I remind him of my Mother's infidelity.

God this is like therapy for me!
    Too much 'southern comfort' I think

12. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

For my mother, father, sister, and my best friend I would do anything without a second thought...If you were anyone else...It depends on how much I like you.

13. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I would have to go with family. While there is the whole trust issue, if my "dilemma" is big enough you'd better damn well expect me to go to my family. Other than that, I usually handle things myself - I have a bunch of friends, but not a whole lot that I'm real close to.

The Hungry Basilisk: I empathazise with you on the prettiness thingy - but at least I'm 6'1. Mwahahahaha!

14. The Hungry Basilisk

The Hungry Basilisk Raptured to Hell

I'M only 5"6 Swimdraconian you are so lucky,
    Most f**in girls are taller than me, And to add insult to injury! I was in Starbucks getting coffee yesterday and some old guy brushed past and said:

"Scuse me Miss"

Miss!!! I'm a 21 year old man with short black hair jeans, a T-shirt and no tits!!!!!
    Just coz I'm of a small build and I have 'Feminine Features'(As my mother puts it)
    Doesn't mean I'm a chick!

I would grow out a goatee or beard but someone would just think I was A f***in bearded Lady.

The only upside is that the chicks like to cuddle and 'mother' me LOL.

Sorry for the rant! I just hate myself!!!

Actually your avatar looks a bit like me only my hair is shorter.

15. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Like some others here, I like my friends more than my family, but I still chose family. I'm not really close to much of my family (hardly know most of the ones from my father's side), yet my immediate family is more important to me than my best friends.

But maybe I'm just antisocial :D

16. I don't really know what I would choose. There are way to many difference between my family members and most of them are in a fight. My parents don't really trust each other.

I don't have much friends but the ones I have are trustworthy, but with my family situation of not trusting each other. How does that make me think of my friends? So I would say I trust myself above anyone else.

17. Ilyena87

Ilyena87 Guest

Ifamily, because we have really strong bonds, and I've had many friends who became complete assholes. for me, blood is thicker than water. family first

18. That Wench

That Wench Skittles Addict

I have quite a large family, but I don't trust all of them. I think I could trust about... 2 of my cousins and my immediate family.
    although with my friends, i've known them for literally all of my life. so i have so much blackmail material on them :D we've been through a lot, and sometimes you tell your friends what you can't tell your family and vice versa

19. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

I love my family dearly, but I'd be more likely to share a problem with my closest friends than anyone else. But like most other things in life there isn't really a cut and dry answer, it depends on the situation.

20. Dreakon

Dreakon Squib

When you move around a lot, the only consistent thing in life is your family. Friends stay friends, but in the end you might never know a friend for more than 3 years. I do trust friends to a certain degree...especially when it comes to crap we pull together (like smoking weed), but its family I turn to with almost all my dark and deepest....

scratch that, I barely trust anyone.