1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fringe

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Iztiak, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Huh. I bought the season one DVD recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. The first run of episodes weren't the best ever, but I grew somewhat attached to the characters and when episode 10 rolled around and all the little bits of info from previous episodes came together spectacularly, everything became awesome-r. Haven't finished the season, but there's a very good chance I'll be picking up season two when it's out.

2. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Mmkay, ah well, at least I won't have to stare at that Dunham chicks head again, it looks horrible from side-shots.

3. J22

J22 Seventh Year

I actually got bored of Fringe during season 1 and gave it up for about 6 months. I'm glad I forced myself to sit through it. Season 2 is much better in my opinion.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I watched Season 1 in one blast on DVD and loved it, but I've missed some of 2 [first... 5 episodes?] which kind of sucks.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Season premiere is this Thursday.

6. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

I heard its going to be pretty action packed. Still cant wait.

7. Hue City Ranger

Hue City Ranger First Year DLP Supporter

I thought the season premiere was great. I like where the plot seems to be heading with the alternate universes. The writers could probably have this story arc go on for a while.

8. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's sooooo frustrating. And I can't believe that Peter/Walter don't notice that Altlivia is completely different. I mean seriously, one had a traumatic and sad life, the other had a happy perfect life. Completely different personalities.

9. Hue City Ranger

Hue City Ranger First Year DLP Supporter

Yeah, but Walter isn't going to notice much of anything, he's far to spaced most of the time and concerned with his own issues to notice changes in Altlivia (I like that).

Peter will be the one to notice eventually, when he gets over thinking her new happiness is solely derived from their new relationship. At least that is what I think.

10. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Second episode was pretty interesting as well. It was more akin to the standard episodic structure, but contained enough content to keep things worth watching.

Walter is now the sole shareholder of Massive Dynamic. I guessed it early on, but it's still an interesting development. It's the best way to keep MD in the story. I wonder if MD and Fringe Division will interact more now. Maybe have more technology used by Fringe or something.

The only problem I've really had so far is that Olivia's change into a clone of Altivia Over There was really quick. I would've liked to see her struggle a bit more to maintain her true personality. The complete change at the end of the episode just seemed rushed. I can forgive it if we have few fillers for the rest of the season, which may be possible due to the manner in which the story is being told (odd numbers Over There, even in our world). However, if we have as many as season two (like 15), then I'll be annoyed.

Despite the complaints I've read regarding Anna Torv's acting, I think she's done a pretty good job at playing three different versions of the same character so far. The three being Olivia, Altivia and Altivia-masquerading-as-Olivia. Each version has noticeable differences in the way they move and speak. She has improved since season one, though.

Once Walter and Peter sort out their relationship, I'm pretty sure they'll start to realise that Olivia isn't acting like Olivia. I was a little surprised that Peter didn't during the scene at the bar (interest in music, and dancing, neither of which real Olivia was interested in or did). He is dealing with a lot of crap at the moment, though, so I can believe it for some time yet.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I think Peter is already realizing it and I'm very very tired of the Other World arc entirely. Fringe, like Supernatural, is at it's finest when it stays true to the formula and isn't terribly fussed with the overarching plot. I love the bit about Walter owning MD though, really looking forward to that.

12. Lyndon Eye

On the contrary, I think the Other World arc is the most interesting part of the show. The problem is that they've dragged it out soooooo long. The build-up in season one with the ZFT, Mr. Jones, and the watchers was intriguing and cool, but now that we're actually Over There, it doesn't quite deliver. The Doomsday machine looks incredibly lame, and Peter has become waaaay too angsty.

Altlivia's really getting on my nerves too. For some reason, I've always assumed that while the other-world self may diverge in significant ways (i.e. happy childhood vs. Jacksonville), the core essence of the person remains the same. That Altlivia (as different as her ideology is) will still be as compassionate and, well, as good as Olivia. Seeing her shoot the deaf man was a jarring realization that Altlivia is fundamentally very different from Olivia - the former is ruthless and has no qualms about sacrificing innocents. That's scary.

Walter is the most interesting character at this point in the movie. He's at a turning point, where he can become the great man that he always had the potential to be (as evidenced by Walternate), or be forever held back by his guilt and remain the harmless old man at the insane asylum. Here's hoping that he becomes more kickass as the season progresses.

13. h2o

h2o Professor

Dude.. that's like exactly what I was thinking :O

I was really shocked that Altlivia shot the poor guy... its just so different from the real Olivia who is, as you say, a very good and compassionate person.

And the potential for Walters greatness has finally got an output in MD. I think this season will be epic :D

14. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

So its time to eat my words. I caught up on this show and it is now my favorite series.

I'm loving this season, especially the alternate universe. Its so great to see Charlie again. I was pissed when he died in season 2.

Alternate Olivia is much more interesting than regular Olivia. Regular Olivia is so boring, in character and acting. It seems as if Anna Torv is actually trying with Alt!Liv. Her best acting to date.

In fact, I love the whole alternate Fringe team. They're all so likable (except Astrid, of course).

15. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

So is there any good fanfiction for this show? You would think there would be a lot with all the possibilities the show's mythology offers up, but I can't seem to find anything.

16. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I'm very much digging this new season.

I knew going into it that it the whole Altlivia storyline was going to be somwhat frustrating to watch, especially as they dragged it out, but the writers have done good so far this season. The little nuances with Peter and some of the others make me think that maybe they're onto Altlivia one moment - even if that's not the case, the justifications for not noticing that she's not the real deal aren't totally horrible, and thus, I can believe in it as the storyline goes along.

The alternate universe stuff is great. Episode three really gave me a sympathetic edge towards some of those crazy kids (Alt!Charlie and Lee, especially), and episode four was great in humanising some of the shapeshifters and highlighting the fact that Altlivia is truly in over her head - I can feel a bit more sympathy for her, even with murdering the deaf guy back in episode two (Of which I think she felt some remorse, however small). Shame Newton got killed though. He reminded me a lot of Jones, all three-named and British and very awesome, but oh well.

Everything else is cool. Our Walter is still justifiably insane and the Alt!Walter is still a bastard, but allow me to fanboy over John Noble for a bit and say that he's just awesome. Anna Torv, too, is really stretching her acting chops in a great way - I never thought she was a bad actor or anything, though. Olivia was written to be the emotionless one, given all the shit she went through, it was understandable. But now, with Anna playing Olivia, Altlivia, Olivia thinking she's Altlivia, Altlivia pretending to be Olivia and Olivia who thinks she's Altlivia remembering she's Olivia, it's just great to watch.

Probably one of my favourite shows this season.

17. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Come January this will be airing Fridays at 9, once again going against Supernatural.

This will most likely be the last season. I hope they at least have the decency to give us a proper ending.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

It better not be the last season. This is like X-Files + NCIS, aka the best TV lovechild ever.

19. Lyndon Eye

Entrada. Wow.

Kept me glued to the screen the entire time. This series *needs* more seasons, but outlook seems pretty grim. Friday nights are where shows go to die.

20. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Holy shit.

Even if the series does get cancelled this year (And it better bloody well not), I can at least say it's going out with a fantastic final season. Entrada was awesomesauce, a great culmination of the arc.

And thanks to Walter, I now have a new word: "Vagenda". Lawl.

I always liked Broyles in that "oh he doesn't get much screentime and there's nothing awful about him" kinda way, but I gotta say that Colonel Broyles was a boss and it sucks that he got shot and fried. I still have hope for Charlie and Lee to show up in the future and be as good as Alt-Broyles was, though now that they have their Olivia back I doubt we'll see much of them for a bit.

Still, the entire swapped Olivias arc worked out better than I had hoped (Only Peter seemed to have dropped the ball a little, but love makes people do crazy things and I bet he'll be feeling his mistake of not noticing for a loooooong time), and now I'm looking forward to what arc comes next. Should be fun.