1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fringe

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Iztiak, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Vagenda is an amazing word.

2. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Fantastic episode, and a fantastic arc. It went on just long enough too. It didn't outlive its welcome, and it was long enough to flesh the story out.

The only part that disappointed me about the arc was Peter. I thought there were quite a few tests in the Over Here episodes that BOlivia consistently failed or almost failed, but Peter remained ignorant. Matt makes a point: love makes you blind. Still... even a comment from Peter remarking on the little things that seemed different would've made me happier about that. Maybe we'll get that next episode. Cue drama about Peter hooking up with BOlivia!

Sad Broyles was killed. In hindsight, it was pretty obvious someone would be crossed over dead, but it was still somewhat surprising.

Liked the mixture of Over Here and Over There, and within the intro theme itself. I bet that's the style the last couple episodes of the season (and depressingly ever increasingly looking like series - hopefully the move to Friday will benefit Fringe, though it's not likely) will take.

Finally, vagenda. Walter is awesome.

Edit: One other thing that was missing, I found, was a confrontation between the two Olivia's, but I guess that'll be season finale material. Or just about so. Can't wait

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

I've found an interesting fanmade intro for Fringe using Firefly theme. [link]

4. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oh my god, I freaking love this show. Anyone else catch the latest episode?

I'm actually liking how they're handling the Peter/ Olivia dynamic at the moment. It's really sad, but you sort of feel like there's hope for the future. By far my favorite relationship is between Peter and Walter, though, and there was some really poignant stuff here.

On another note:

Did anyone else think for a crazy moment that when Peter injected the brain serum, that he would have some kind of 'level up' a la Olivia in season one? That would've been rad. I was also a little dissapointed that the Observers seemed to go through all that just to see whether Walter would allow Peter to die, rather than some special connection between the Observers and Peter.

If there's one thing that bothers me about the show, it's that Peter is really underutilized. Even when it's about him, it's not really about him. Eh.

5. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Actually... the future looks kinda grim:

From the scene on the rooftop, there's a silhouette of a woman holding a baby. The only logical inference: Altlivia is pregnant.

6. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oh jeez, anything but that. D:

7. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Just watched the episode. Loved it to bits. Fringe continues its run of top-notch episodes.

I think it's pretty conclusive that BOlivia is pregnant. I didn't catch the silhouette on the roof (which is a piece of pretty standard Fringe foreshadowing, actually), but the dialogue was something like:

Given Fringe's track record, I'm feeling pretty positive about a new spin being put on this storyline, or it at least being written well enough not to be aggravating.

8. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

It was probably Walternate's plan for her to get knocked up, so Peter wouldn't want to use the machine to destroy the reality that has his baby in it.

9. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

This episode is fucking awesome. The series continues to impress.

10. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Two great episodes in a row. Bah, who I am kidding? They've all been great this season.

Though I will say I liked "The Firefly" more, mostly because of it being a big Walter episode with a side-order of the Observer. Christopher Lloyd was great and played off John Noble brilliantly, while the Peter/Olivia stuff was great.

For "Reciprocity", it felt kinda off in some parts (Maybe dragged a bit in the middle), but was still a solid all-rounder character episode with some Peter development I'm especially looking forward to seeing more of (Cleavering the shapeshifter's fingers off was awesome). Good to see Astrid and Nina get some prominence, though Broyles is still in the shadow of his alternate self to me. So yeah, good episode, can't wait for next week's.

God I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

This show officially just got holy shit awesome.

12. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Loved the episode too. Peter now a father and becoming "weaponised"? He's going to get some serious story for the rest of the season. Glad the writers didn't forget about referencing his past as a con artist either. Shows do that too often; create a background for one or two episodes early on and never mention it again.

I like that we now have an official canon name for the alternate Olivia: FOlivia. For foe Olivia.

13. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Somehow I always forget, but Peter is a fuckin badass.

Haha, I remember toward the middle of the episode where they all suspected Brandon the tech guy, and I was yelling at the screen, "NO Brandon! Bad!" But I'd had a sneaking suspicion about Peter since the very beginning of the ep when he was creeping around and lying about where he was to everyone.

I liked all the little references to Peter's past as well, and found myself thinking back to a previous season where Olivia handed him a gun and told him where the safety was, and had to chuckle. Dude, this boy knows his way around a weapon. :p

I'm slightly torn with these latest episodes, tho... I love Walter and Peter, but I kind of miss the every-other-week Olivia Adventures. She's kind of been relegated to a back seat position. I know they've only got an hour a week to work with, so I understand it, but I got sort of used to sympathizing with her more.

Also, I think the correct term would be Faux-livia, as in 'fake'.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  14. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Are you kidding? Olivia has been front and center all season! We're just now starting to get some focus on Walter and Peter again.

Good episode. On the list of people who could be a shape-shifter, am I the only one who noticed the name James Wilson? Somebody better warn House!

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

And Anna Torv finally got her groove in actually acting, so she doesn't need as much screen time to fumble around in.

16. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Haha, that's definitely true, and I'm ecstatic that Peter and Walter are getting more screen-time. I think I just looked at my post and realized it was pretty much all about Peter. But he IS my favorite.

I guess I just finally warmed up to Olivia. *shrug*

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

When it turned out to be Peter and he stepped out with the silencer I was like YES! Finally.

Most shows won't let a main character be an "anti-hero"

18. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

So it turns out the psychological/physical therapist from the bowling alley, Sam, is the true author of the books on the first people. The show is getting even more and more complex. This is good shit here.

19. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Aaaaannndddd...

Altlivia is preggers. And Walternate's creepy "I'm going to be a grandfather" smile will give me nightmares for years to come. Way to go Fringe. Way to go.

I loved the episode - it was good to have an Over There episode again, to break away from the angst on our side for a bit, and I kinda relished in the more relaxed team dynamic between Altlivia, Charlie and Lincoln. The episode did good with humanising Altlivia and Walternate just a bit more, though that Walternate's hitting some asian chick on the side came out of fucking nowhere. Main plot wasn't anything special, but "Make sure they spell my name right" are last words to take to heart, for sure. Oh, and Julie McNiven played the crazy bug girl, which was ten shades of hot, crazy and awesome.

Not too worried on how things are turning out, really. Just glad to have the show on the air and continuing a solid season run. I can only hope for an extra season or two along the line.

20. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Loved the episode, as per usual.

Despite it being plainly obviously from the previous two episodes, the reveal that Altivia was pregnant was interesting. Agree on Walternate's creepiness at being a grandfather.

Nice to see more Over There. I'd enjoyed the random differences from the previous arc, and this was no different. Sheep died out 10 years ago?

Also, Walternate not crossing the line Walter did - experimenting on children - certainly added further depth to Walternate. While that revelations aids in creating a conflict where no one is truly "good" and no one is "evil", it was bit spoiled by Walternate having an affair.