1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Utsane, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Olaf is funny. I rest my case.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'm writing this as I watch.
    I really like his characterization here. This movie is clearly aimed not at the new generation of young kids, but the same people who loved Frozen 1, kids that have grown and matured since. Also, he provides great comic relief as a character with faux complexity among the other slightly one dimensional characters.

Forest cosplaying California lmao.

I am Kristoff and I speak for the Meese! (reindeer whatever)

Omg it's fucking charmander.

Okay this is getting disappointing again.

Olaf saves the movie, once again.

2 much exposition.

This whole Kristoff thing is too relatable and is just sad instead of funny. 2 real 4 me.

If the fifth spirit is love I will die.

It's his butthole. It's his anus.

Just.. wait for low tide. You think she'd know about tides having lived in a port city all her life.

This glacier sequence is the best in the movie so far.

I like warm hugs too, Olaf. :[

Deserves more than a 7.3 imo.

Way to steal Elsa's thunder dickhead.

Okay, overall, it stuck with the spirit of the first movie. I enjoyed it more than I expected to, even though at points it was pretty uninspired.

I give it a solid 8.5/10.

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think Into the Unknown has that karaoke je ne sais quoi that Let it Go did. There was no real reason for the movie to even exist beyond the money, the ending of Frozen was near perfect. That said, the music and animation were great. The lore and magic were great. It's a bit le current year for me but that can be forgiven.

All in all, still a good movie but not as good as Frozen 1.

3. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

I saw this first day first show with my daughter and wife. Since that meant Friday morning, I saved a lot in terms of money and crowd (weekday morning shows are blissfully empty here).

For me, there was almost little to no impact. I loved Frozen, but this one was just meh for me.
    Here's the thing. The plot elements reminded me of Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians. And while I liked that movie, this one kinda felt flat.

I fully expected my 2 1/2 year old daughter to burn my ears off with some new version of 'Let it go'...
    But fortunately (unfortunately?) that didn't happen. Although she did make that eerie sound of the call, for a whole 2 days.

To put that in perspective she has been doing the Minions' Banana sound for a whole effing six months and repeatedly asking to see Despicable me, again and again...
    I would say, her reaction is meh as well.

Wife is not such a big fan of animated movies. So she was less than pleased. >_>

Rounded up 3/5 or 6.5/10.

4. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

t
    I equated Show Yourself to Let it Go, and although it's not as catchy, it's a very good 'main' song for the movie.

5. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Olaf's death was way more touching than Elsa's sadly, it also gave me Peter parker vibes but idk I was still more touched then his death too.

Downsides of the Songs'

Kristoff's was way too 90s/2000s teen guy bop. Olaf's was a bit boring lyrics wise though all the kids in my theater were giggling over his mishaps so it definitely hit the mark on humour but I doubt any of the little kids understood some of the jokes in it.

Into the Unknown was kind of a flop song, didn't really like it.

Best three songs of the film were Show Yourself, The Mom's song about the river, and The Right Thing (Anna's speech/song monologue at the start was goddamn emotional).
    I would say that the movie felt completely different from Frozen in a way, it was all about how they were getting older, Elsa getting over the last of her hangups and etc. Just doesn't feel as comparable but yeah I'd say Frozen was still better though ha.

On a side note, I was a tiny bit disappointed by Elsa cringing at her past self singing Let it Go. That song is still great for karaoke.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  6. Miner

Miner Order Member

Wait what? I'd argue that the songtrack of Frozen II was infinitely better than the original. Olaf's comedic relief song about growing up made me laugh so so much more than In Summer ever did anything for me. Show Yourself was just as orgastic to the ears as Let it Go and told a much more compelling tale in the moment than Let it Go. If Let it Go was about finally becoming free of her past (which didn't actually happen until much later in the movie), then Show Yourself was actually her self-discovery arc where she actually... became Elsa.

Anna's Do the Right Thing was the only song that I thought wasn't heads and shoulders above its Frozen counterpart (For the First Time in Forever), and that's really because they both are wonderful musically and tell a similar story of Anna's optimism in loneliness schtick.

I think I liked Frozen II more than the first movie. They actually explained where Elsa's powers came from, which was nice. It's still a kids movie though, since nobody's going to bother asking stuff like "How did the entire population of Arrendelle survive on a cliff without food or water supplies for two days while being looked after by living rocks?"

I remember when Frozen first came out, I was super enchanted by it. I waited six years for this and I'm not disappointed.

Also, Elsa cringing at Let it Go is so true to life that I appreciated it a lot. Let it Go on repeat 2000 times will do that to anyone.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Finally got round to seeing it this afternoon, and it's pretty decent. I didn't love it though; I seem to recall coming out of the first one feeling like I'd seen a really good film, although I can't really recall much of it beyond the basics and Let It Go now.

Here, the plot is a bit more predictable, no songs as catchy as Let it Go, although I liked most of them, some lacklustre character work (Kristoff has a whole subplot about failing to propose, which becomes a song about worrying he and Anna are drifting apart, and then he disappears for half an hour, has two lines and then succeeds in proposing, which...fine, but doesn't really get into the details). I'm not sure whether Elsa's 'death's was supposed to be a big emotional moment or not, because it never felt real - like Disney are going to kill off one of the two main characters like that with half an hour or so left of the film, and no way for her loved ones to even retrieve her body. Either way, it didn't land for me, although everything else about that scene was good.

So yeah. Not bad, worth a watch if you got any enjoyment out of the first one, but nothing special.