1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Furious Angels by Worldmaker - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by b0b3rt, Dec 19, 2010.

1. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Really? Are you sure he's actually worth the effort of getting worked up over?

Is he an insecure, callow, insipid asshat who can't find his scrotum with two hands and a GPS? Yes, but there are many of those in the world. I find my life is more fun when I can laugh at them and their antics. It's better for my blood pressure.

@Taure: Both you and Worldmaker have a fairly thorough understanding of canon, and are not shy about sharing that. Where you differ is you don't spend your life wanking off to eleven year old children with magical powers and you seem to be rather dissatisfied with how everything ended up, where as Worldmaker seems to treat anyone who thinks about deviating from canon as a heretic and an idiot, unless it involves soulmates and pedophilia at arms length.

2. Worldmaker

Worldmaker Squib

Have any of you stopped to consider I might have written it that badly on purpose?

No... of course not. Because you're all too busy congratulating yourself on what a tool I am to notice all the earmarks of badfic I intentionally placed into the story.

Oh well... I'm sure there's still hope for some of you...

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... I don't even. How would writing a fic badly on purpose somehow make it better?

If anything, that's even worse.

4. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Did he really just defend his story by saying "I'm writing a bad fic on purpose."

:facepalm

5. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Like a bad author? :awesome

Congratulations then, you suceeded in writing a bad story. Everyone has to be good at something, even if it is sucking.

For the record, I'm not quite convinced that this is indeed Worldmaker.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

The try-hard was strong with this one... too strong.

And for every person who professes not to care, there is someone who has to try and have the last word.

There is parody, then there is trolling. Right or wrong, I suppose the creators of either can feel pride in them, amusement. Frankly, I don't think your story was meant to be either of those things, but claiming such after the fact is just a form of backpedaling, and a symptom of at least some small degree of shame.

And as a far more evolved being, you can but look down upon the lesser creatures and, in your benevolent detachment, shake your head, and hope they someday ascend to such heights as you have... :puke:

Either ignore the opinions of those you profess not to be worth your time or don't, but don't pretend to be above it when you wade into the muck.

Anyway, I, for one, hope that you didn't waste time registering just to make one vainglorious post. I'd like to think that anyone who sticks around for a while will discover, in time, that DLP is not one person with one attitude, and that there is more depth and dimension here than some might suspect.

Although, I'm sure some authors comfort themselves, as they are putting out the flames, that this is just a nest of mean-spirited trolls, and thus the reviews here (each and every one of them) are flawed, not their stories.

Duly noted.

7. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

He should be proud of his cookbook. 5 People bought his cookbook and 1 person who works at a book store and stole it.

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Get back in the kitchen, Jack.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    If you read the thread, I think you'll find that most of us drew that conclusion. It's just that even granting you that much, as either troll or parody your story fails, which pretty much leaves "breaking in a new keyboard" as the only reason to write it.

Congratulations or whatever. You're so very clever. "I'm sure there's still hope for... you."

10. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Unfortunately, even if it was meant as a satire, it doesn't work on that level either.

I recall your defending the literary merits of this story on other forums. So I'm skeptical about your claim that this has all been an exercise in trolling the fandom. If it is, it's been a very elaborate and prolonged scheme, and that's really pretty sad. Do you take pleasure in giggling mockingly at all the young readers who actually do enjoy your story?

I am. This is very like him.

11. Worldmaker

Worldmaker Squib

Nope. Just those who take the entire "art form" of fan fiction too seriously. Those people who can have fun with it? Got no problem with them.

Do I consider myself a troll? Of course I do. One of my fondest forms of entertainment is puncturing the balloons of the stuffed shirts and self-important, which is why I pretty much never take honest criticism that seriously.

Fanboyism? Mole-hill mountaining? That stuff I will ridicule until the end of my days.

I thought I'd explained myself pretty well, actually.

12. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

So you write all that fan fiction just to mock people who take fan fiction seriously enough to care about whether it's written well.

Are your betas in on the joke, or are you laughing up your sleeve at them too?

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    That the author could take the time to write and polish 100k+ words on the concept suggests that he wasn't in on the joke either.

Seriously, I've tried to read this a few times now and always quit after a few chapters. Trolls fail utterly when it's boredom, not anger that turns readers off.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Ohhh wow when Pers gets sarcastic we know shit is gettin' serious. ;)

15. Worldmaker

Worldmaker Squib

There is a difference between "caring about whether it's well written" and "turning it into the end-all-be-all". Besides, how is my mocking badly written fan fiction any different than what this pack of howling walloons does all day? Riddle me that, please.

Or is making fun of bad stories and trolling bad writers only something you guys are allowed to do?

Yes, they are in on the joke.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do have to wonder at your state of mind if you spend so much time writing 100k words of deliberately bad story instead of trying to write a good one.

Either you're lying and backpedaling, or you have a rather sad and crippling fear of failure.

17. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

The difference is we don't spend hours writing ridiculously overwrought attempts at mocking bad fanfiction. And if we did, I'm sure we could come up with something that actually maintains the reader's interest past the first three paragraphs (I really, really tried) in order to actually get the satire across.

Also, 'walloons'? The only reference to 'Walloons' I've head of is from Belgium; am I missing something here? Is that supposed to be an insult?

No, but apparently we're the only ones that can do it well enough to actually count; hence the infamy. Try harder.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Riddle me this: why are you so dreamy?

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness: can you update your Fun With Idiots section after you're done here, please? A lot of readers who tire of your bullshit have made their way here due to your snippets of love; fresh membership is always good for the forum's longevity.

19. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[​IMG]

Whats this?! Have I fallen into 2005?! Has JoeHundredaire returned?!

[​IMG]

Worldmaker; Your pitiful attempts at redacting your seriousness is so thin, its transparent. I'd suggest you just man the fuck up, admit your terribad and enjoy it, and then shut the fuck up. Most of us are pretty damn terrible anyway, so its not like its some sort of secret shame we must all wear...

I mean, if you're that pissed your wife won't sleep with you, maybe you should act like less of a dick and not take it out on people on the internet with better things to do that some ex-teacher with a midlife crisis.

In the mean time:

[​IMG]

20. Worldmaker

Worldmaker Squib

Go look up the False Dilemma fallacy for me, would you?

The answer is "I've got a lot of time on my hands and I have always enjoyed puncturing the egos of the stuffed shirts. Plus, I write anyway, so why not have some fun doing it?

Certainly you don't assume that this is all I write, do you?

Sure, no problem. I can add something I suppose.

And I think I found just the thing with which to update it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010