1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Future Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Oct 23, 2020.

1. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I understand why another book is necessary, I'm just annoyed that Mirror Mirror is being delayed again. It was supposed to be the one after Peace Talks, then got bumped back for Battle Ground, and now this. I've been waiting for it for like five years.

I'm also uncertain of how a year-long book would do, given what @Erotic Adventures of S pointed out about most of them being a couple days. It worked for Harry Potter, but let's be real, half of every one of those books were the first couple months of the year, then a few scenes here and there, then the last quarter of every book was the ending confrontation around exam time. I don't know how you'd even structure a Dresden book over a year.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Wasn't it suppose to be the 16th book initially?

Something funny I found just now. In Upcoming Works Mirror Mirror is described as 18th book.

Suggesting that Twelve Months is a really late addition or it was suppose to be a double books surprise, but Butcher changed his mind.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

It sounds like 12 months was just decided... well, now. Like post BG. He saw the amount of balls in the air and realised he had to deal with it.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, he's not GRRM's age so waiting an extra year or two for Mirror Mirror isn't going to hurt. We know he's still got what it takes to put out a good novel as well so it's not like he's lost his touch.

Does it really matter that Mirror Mirror is being put off again? Chances are we're going to see another at least decent novel off the back of this, then jump straight back in to our regularly scheduled Dresden Files.

5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

This is going to sound silly, but I'm reminded of Star Trek TNG. Most lovers of the show will agree that the best episode was the Best of Both Worlds two-parter, where Picard is borgified and Riker steps up. But many people forget that was really a three part story, the next episode is called Family and it was, at the time, the only episode in the canon with no scenes on the bridge. It was all about fallout and consequence, and coming to terms with pain and guilt. It might be the least action-oriented episode ever, but it was one of the most important for Picard and the audience. Call me crazy, but I feel the same way going into this.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aaaaaaaaand I was mistaking it for Moulin Rouge. My bad!

7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

How dare you, sir? Profaning the good name of ABBA and Mamma Mia? You should be ashamed of yourself.

8. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

In one of the interviews, Butcher said he thought he could finish the next Dresden book by summer '21 or so, and it would depend on Penguin if we see it that winter or early 22. That is after completing Cinder Spires #2 as well. Only a year and half wait or so for the next book is not bad at all. Much shorter than I expected when he announced he was doing the 2nd Spires book.

9. Erotic Adventures of S

He was always a fairly fast writers, due to real life shit, which is fair enough, he basically took 5 years off.

If anything he may be spitting them out for awhile as he gets in the grove.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ryuugi Shi said it better than I ever could, so just quoting him again in case anyone skipped over his post (which I was think was in another thread but at this point I can't remember):

I am really glad that we are getting Twelve Months (assuming it happens). There's a few reasons.

The first is that I want time to see Dresden called out on some of the shit listed above in the spoiler. I really, really do.

Secondly I want some time for proper growth in terms of, well, everything. Dresden can pick up some character growth via some self-reflection / soul searching / dealing with the above. Great. But he also needs time for some growth as a wizard - as others pointed out, he was pretty much the least skilled wizard in the final fight in Battle Ground in spite of his power. If he takes time to settle into his new castle I expect we'll see growth there - from checking out the current wards, adding new ones, and getting back to his research.

World-building has some potential too, if Dresden does some traveling to contend with all of the above. He's the Winter Knight and has settled into the power it offers as of Battle Ground, at least to a greater extent than most Knights ever manage. He may not get answers about Starborn yet but if Twelve Months is a new idea of Jim's then he may tweak it if it fits better here (at least for some tidbits).

I didn't like Ghost Story much compared to most of the books, but if Twelve Months is done right it won't be a repeat of that boring/spinning-wheels feeling we had there. Sure it won't be action packed, but there will still be a wizardly plot to deal with (even the short stories have those) and has a lot of potential. Maybe assassins even, or offers of interesting types, now that he's no longer a member of the White Council.

Twelve Months can be the equivalent of Changes only in reverse, where instead of all his shit being fucked with Dresden is taking back control of his direction/life/research/power/allies/health etc.

I don't know if Butcher will play it that way but I have to admit that the idea has a hell of a lot of potential. There is a LOT of shit that can be dealt with here in a very cathartic way. Sure it could be dealt with in-between massive epic plots and concepts like Mirror, Mirror... but I'd rather have a book focus on it and have a more standard plot with some action to go with it.

11. Erotic Adventures of S

12. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

13. Erotic Adventures of S

Thinking of Harry demanding answers in Starborn and other things.

Can’t he just ask Bonea? She has the knowledge of a fallen angel? It’s said she has no context for it, but when asked she brought us like 20 pancake recipes.

Harry can ask her about Starborn, about his mum, about Mab and her history, about almost anything. Hell she would likely know exactly how old Nic is and what his endgame is.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Even if she doesn't because of some narrative reason, like she has trouble getting all information she has ordered, he should ask Bob who has already proved to be aware of some big secrets. Actually it could be a concept for a crack fic where Harry discovers that Bob has all the answers to big questions he has, but he never told him because Dresden never asked, just like he never asks about all the other magical stuff until it's relevant to the book.

15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm definitely liking the idea of a slower-paced story that gives some time for all the consequences to play out and some of those dangling plot threads to get dealt with. It feels like a lot of folks agreed that Harry needed to take a bit to sort himself out and address some of the unresolved and under-explored issues hanging in the air, and now we're getting an entire book to address all of that. I like a good frantic adventure scramble as much as anyone, but there's something to be said for giving stories room to breathe.

16. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Definitely I'd not disagree that I'm in favour of Butcher taking a comparatively slow book to...smooth things out and tie off a bunch of minor shit. In many ways it'll be like when that indy!Harry fic spends 20 chapters doing exercise, shopping at Diagon Alley, and learning magic he should have known already. Just hopefully with a bit more characterisation and plot development that we've used it!

17. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Oh man, I can't wait for Dresden to get a bottomless trunk.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Didn’t know you were into Dresden slash?

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Bunch of junk in that trunk.

20. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Something that I've been wondering, which admittedly probably isn't going to come up, but I wonder nonetheless.
    Hypothetically if Harry does manage to get Thomas back on his feet soon, say in time for the wedding...

Which side of the aisle does he sit on, family of the bride or family of the groom?