1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Games, Gods ,and Harry Potter: An Idea

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by AlchemistLoki, Apr 23, 2014.

1. AlchemistLoki

AlchemistLoki Squib

So I just finished reading some Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they? aka Mondaiji ,and was wondering what would be the best way to fuse the idea of this world with Harry Potter.

For those who haven't either read the light novels or seen the anime here's a wiki summary:
    Now i'm not talking about just making a crossover and calling it a day. No, what I want is something made from the idea that chosen people from the Harry Potter world are either made or have gained the opportunity to play "Games" against or constructed by Beings of power. I don't know of anyone has already posted a similar idea or has even already made something in the past using it so i thought DLP would be a good place to check.

I've been a member for awhile ,but haven't really posted anything so here's me giving it a whirl.

2. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You should post more often. That was well-reasoned and interesting enough that I'd probably read the other story based on your rec.

Regarding the post: I like the idea. Its bare bones, but if you warped a fic around it and the battles were cool, I could see it going over well, particularly with DLPers.

3. AlchemistLoki

AlchemistLoki Squib

Thanks for the reply, and I actually do plan on posting more because I've read enough to like the DLP community, and want to be more a part of it. I posted this in hopes that I could get some help fleshing out this idea in order to make something myself or inspire someone else to do it.

I don't have much writing experience and have just started reading some of the stuff posted to help new writers, so I'm hoping that by the time I'm comfortable enough to write something enough people would've posted to give me something solid to start with.

4. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

It sounds like something I'd want to write, but I don't know enough about the world mechanics to actually give it a shot. Taure also posted a similar concept a few days back in Plot Bunny Thread/t based more on the Hunger Games, and he even made a writing group for it. Should you decide to go ahead with it I'll definitely read it (provided the writing's good of course ;)).

5. AlchemistLoki

AlchemistLoki Squib

I've already come up with several ideas on introduce the Games to Harry and convey how the bets can be anything.

One example is Hogwarts and the founders. The founders didn't build Hogwarts, and the Forbidden Forest was just a regular one next to a small magical village ii the middle of nowhere. One day the Four just happened to be passing through when meeting whatever Being I can come up with. Through a series of events they end up participating in a game where I intend for either the prize being something like a safe haven for magical users to learn or how since they lost they must now spend the rest of their lives in Hogwarts helping wizarding kind to the future. Hogwarts becoming a school will be just the one option that stuck.

Now that I write it out the second idea seems more interesting. The Founders never actually wanting to be the Founders would be a nice shock to whoever I have actually learn about the origins of the school besides Harry.

6. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

That's actually a pretty good idea. So do you get a gift of your choosing if you win? and does the gift only apply to your world or can you pick a gift from another world?

7. AlchemistLoki

AlchemistLoki Squib

I decided that i wanted to use the idea of the Gift system combined with No Game No Life 's system of having each party bet something of equal value. Also terms on what will be given to the victor shall be decided on prior to the match starting, but after the detail on what the game will be.

I intend for most of the situations in which the winner will be given a Gift to have prearranged rewards for the challengers; while making what they will have to give up if they lose follow some kind of guideline. Most Games having to do with Beings ( I need a better name for them) will be made that way and games between mortal creatures like say a wizard and a centaur will be decided on the spot.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Hadn't heard of the anime before but I'm probably gonna watch it now. Sounds pretty metal.

9. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Watched a few episodes of the Anime. It was fun. This idea is very interesting too.

As to Beings of power...

Would Death of Deathly Hallows fame be such a being? The Deathly Hallows sound like prizes from just such a gift game. Maybe the three brother challenges Death and won them? I know in canon Death is just a character is a children's story but this is a AU crossover with major backstage world building. It would be an idea to build off of anyway.

10. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

So who places the value on a gift? I'm assuming whats important for a human won't really matter all that much for a god like being(if that's what your going with)

Do both competitors state what they want from each other and if its agreed upon they play a game? or do contestants make their offer and hope that the other one finds it useful?

One of the challenges you'll have is making the mortal beings have something of value to the immortal ones, which I think will be hard to implement.

11. AlchemistLoki

AlchemistLoki Squib

Yes I do plan on having the Deathly Hallows as gifts in fact both them and the Philosopher's stone helped me come up with this idea. Objects of power that exceed the magical capabilities of mortals such as those are just asking to be used. Flamel may have created the stone, but that last ingredient he needed couldn't be found in the mortal realm and had to be won. I even have the person he won it from already chosen with how he won it still in the works.

To answer your question Ben humans have many things that are valuable to immortals. There are countless stories in the world of Beings going to humans for the creation of items or to have them perform tasks for them. Our souls , our talents , the dreams we have , and the countless experiences that we go through are things that are ours and even the God's can't take them from us without payment. By the way after some cleaning up this will be the line I use to answer Harry when he asks the same question to whoever I decide introduces him to the games.

Still like I said earlier most games created by Beings will come with predetermined rewards for victory and prices for failure. For example, The Peverell didn't challenge Death to a game personally what they did was find an artifact that explained cryptically( because immortals can't be too clear it's a sin) Death's game as well as the reward they will get for winning and the price they pay for losing. However, just like u said things we humans consider important are different than what immortals consider important at times. The lament configuration was a puzzle game in which the winner got unlimited pleasures just not the kind of pleasures most people enjoy.

The fact that u must always pay attention to many factors so that u end up getting the prize u actually want instead of something else. Maybe i should use the Founders as an example of that, instead of showing what happens when lose. Their prize was a safe haven where they could live a fulfilling life for the rest of their days, however the one that gave it to them used its own definition of a fulfilling life. It considered teaching the young the best way to live one's life to the fullest not researching new ways for magic to be used or slaying monsters that threatened the world.

I'm working on best way to word the reward to make it seem like they simply won a place to stay and not that they now had to become teachers for the rest of their lives instead of whatever dreams they had. I think it'll be funny when Harry finds out that Slytherin invented summer vacation in order to get a chance for the Founder's to actually do something they wanted to do.

12. timemage

timemage Squib

After other gods killed themselves in a war, Tet becomes the only god of Disboard. He introduced The Ten Oaths to prevent any war or fighting from ever occurring again. The Ten Oaths apply to every race in Disboard, even Sora and Shiro, who are from the other world, and they can must always be complied. The Ten Oaths are:
    1. All murder, war, and robbery is forbidden in this world.
    2. All conflict in this world will be resolved through games.
    3. In games, each player must bet something that agreed by both sides.
    4. As long as it doesn't go against the third rule, all bets and the rules of the game are acceptable.
    5. The challenged party has the right to decide the rules of the game.
    6. Any bets made in accordance with the pledges must be upheld.
    7. Conflicts between groups will be conducted by designated representatives with absolute authority.
    8. Being caught cheating during a game means instant loss.
    9. In God, the previous rules may never be changed.
    10. Let’s all have fun and play together!

13. AlchemistLoki

AlchemistLoki Squib

i have been reading the Light novel of No Game No Life since they started translating it and I'm in love with the anime so far.