1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gaming Then, Now, And Tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Mindless, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... quoted so he can't edit out his stupidity.

If people want (x2) to spend money on their console or system, they won't spend the money? That makes sense. ;)

2. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Of course it does. If people really want to upgrade their computer or buy a new console they wont. I mean they want to but they wont. Perfect sense. XD

Eh... I wouldn't say games were better back then. My roommate just bought an N64 and it frustrates the hell out of him. This is with Goldeneye. Oddly enough I tried playing goldeneye. Gave me a headache. A HEADACHE! :mad:

Certainly today's games are "easier" in that they are a little more forgiving so that you don't RAEGQITU when you accidentally tap that button a little too fast or slow for the 10 millionthbillionth time.

Tomorrow's game? eh... We can speculate and hmm haaw all we want but I dont think there's ever a way to really tell what the next trend will be.

3. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

For those of you who miss old adventure games, Sam&Max, Monkey Island etc..

WELL GUESS WHAT: THERES A NEW MOTHERFUCKING MONKEY ISLAND GAME.

4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But is it as good?

5. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

No.

But going by how Sam & Max went, the Tales of Monkey Island should hit it's stride in season two. Telltale always seem to need some time to get used to the characters or something.

6. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Agreed, and hooray for BF2...I still play it. Unfortunately it's being taken over by the jump-shoot crowd, but there are still a few good servers out there where you can actually get a squad that will work with you.

7. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

This link is primarily for RPG fans, those who like long single player campaigns and Atlus fans.

Persona 5 is a PS3 exclusive?

Doesn't really surprise me if it ends up happening. However I would appreciate it if Atlus did something other than Persona. Bring out a new MegaTen game. I know that Persona is the most popular one but seriously. I miss being able to recruit your foes to join your party in mid-battle. Spices things up. Makes it so your party isn't as limited as it is in the Persona games.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

They just released Devil Survivor like a month ago, man. It's not entirely the same as old school Megaten, but it's really close.

That being said, I thought the "accidental reveal" was supposed to be Shin Megami Tensei 4....

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I thought they nerfed the dophin diving years back? They take it out?

10. coleam

coleam Death Eater

You can't jump infinitely due to the stamina bar, but you can keep it up for a while and it replenishes pretty fast when it does run out.

11. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

What do you guys think of Star Wars: The Old Republic?

http://www.swtor.com/

It looks like you could have your single player campaign with the option of having friends along. I've been watching the game for a while now and it looks like they want to appeal to both the singleplayer and the multiplayer.

12. KwanLi

KwanLi First Year

I've never been a big RPG fan. I've never played WoW and another RPG game has generally bored me after an hour or two with it.

That being said though, I think you'll see the future of gaming being pushed towards an FPS/RPG hybrid. Hell, you already see it with Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3 to an extent. Call of Duty does it a little more subtly with their Perks but you kind of get the point. Considering that the Call of Duty Map Packs have each sold over 1 million copies in the first week, it's obvious where the consumer demand lies.

It won't be long before you see raging 5 million player battles. You've already seen large scale attempts at these kinds of games (Battlefield, Joint Operations, upcoming MAG) but that's where the industry is being pushed. Well, that and motion controlled games but fuck that.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

FPS/RPG hybrids aren't actually new, you know.

14. KwanLi

KwanLi First Year

Probably not. I'm not old enough to recall those days but you see an evolution from Doom/CS to the Battlefield class systems (Halo decides to hop in here and ruin everything for a little) to the CoD perk system. Speaking from an online FPS perspective, that's where it's headed.

15. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

Call of Duty 4 was better than 5. Do not speak of that abomination.

16. KwanLi

KwanLi First Year

Agreed. The only reason they're hauling in those map packs is that stupidly addicting Zombie mode.

Really, they should just keep the actual game-making to Infinity Ward and have Treyarch make Call of Duty: Zombies.

17. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

If you have a sexbox and CoD4, i'll play with ya. Do you have it?

18. KwanLi

KwanLi First Year

I don't have a sexbox. I have the black, monolith brother.

19. Onlyhestands

Onlyhestands Fourth Year

I just got around to grabbing Baldur's gate (the pack with the 2 games and the expansions).

Holy Shit, I had no idea what I was missing. It really has rekindled my love for rpg games that I had lost.

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I never could finish that, I just got bored as piss for some reason. Good luck though