1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Story Competitions' started by Ched, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

(My opinion): If no author can vote, it’s fair. If all authors must vote and exclude their own fic, it’s fair. If voting is optional and the forerunner votes for the second place, but the second place does not vote and then wins, it’s unfair. That’s the conflict, for me. Either the winner can make themselves lose, or they can vote tactically rather than in line with their best judgement.

2. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    You're technically not wrong, but I suppose I dont worry too much about strategic voting. I mean technically if you were my friend you could also vote for me to give me a boost and not who you thought would win, or any of a dozen other possibility. That sort of thing is always possible. You can't fully prevent it, just hope people won't be asses.

I dunno. I suppose Im assuming most people in a friendly competition like this are going to be straight forward. Id let them vote excluding their own and if it starts to cause problems we can always stop it then.

Purely selfish thinking I suppose. Ive contributed a couple of times and I *liked* being able to review fics and then vote for the ones I thought was amazing. It was just... I dunno.. fun? Actually, weirdly, when I was competing it got me *more* active and involved in reading other peoples stories. Maybe cause I wanted to see what they did with the prompt instead of me.

I wasn't too worried if that meant someone else was going to get an extra vote compared to me. Heh maybe thats just me though. But yeah my vote would be lets let authors go for it and if it starts to cause problems always easy enough to stop. Id trust ched or whoever else to keep half an eye on things. If folks start to abuse voting (and id hope they wouldnt thats idiotic) Ill trust their judgement when they say its not working. Which would be a shame.

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Wrt strategic voting, you're right of course that it can't ever truly be stamped out. But to present the counterargument

1) With many of our competitions, we've had more than a few in recent memory where it was a close run thing and where 1 or 2 votes could have decided the winner, so letting authors vote or not vote does present meaningful changes to the outcomes.

2) With other forms of strategic voting, there's always a "check" of some sort.

I could vote for my friend sure, but I'd also have to explain that vote more or less to the general public. While tastes and preferences may differ, generally it means you do need to show you put some thought into the vote beyond "my friend" (I'm not saying it is a hard check, but for the more extreme cases---e.g. where a story is clearly undeserving and another one is deserving, it's an effective means of checking unwanted behavior).

4. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I'm not sure I agree on your point about the friend. We dont ask for explanation for your vote or people to justify it. You just need to review everything then vote. I mean you are right realistically you have to have reviews that make sense and I dont think anyone would just vote for a horrible fic cause it was their friend... but the same thing is true of authors. They have to give the same amount of justification for their vote as you do for yours.

Your point about the small vote differences is true. but again I suppose I just assume people ARENT trying to cheat the system lmao. Naive of me?

I mean it will be what it will be. I suppose im mostly arguing because *I* would like to write stories. And *I* would like to also be able to vote for the cool things I see other people write and thus give them support. And id like to not have to pick between the two. So yeah, I admit there is a selfish element here heh. But I still think knowing the DLP folks whom I see writing stories regularly, I dont think they are the sort to abuse this.

End of the day I suppose ill be ok with whatever ched decides though.

5. Blorcyn

Yeah, I don’t think it’s malicious, certainly. And the answer here, for you, would be that if you write a story, you must vote too. And that’d be fine. However, in the competition I ended up winning by a point, the second place voted and I didn’t and that would have secured me the win when it was more in doubt. In this most recent round, Fitz has won, and she voted 4 and 1 points. If she’d voted five, she would have voted herself out of the lead at that time. So it does happen.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If anyone has been wondering, I've held off starting Q4 for two reason - one is that the Anthology entries are due Nov 1st, and the other is that we're just doing another 'short' fiction comp due to the holiday season.

We'll try 'forcing' authors to all review/vote this time, but there's a few issues there.
    1. You'll be less anonymous. The author of the story *has* to be someone who reviewed, or 'else,' and that will keep a few out. We have had some hardcore lurkers win who did NOT want anyone to know who they were.
    2. I don't know who the competitors are to check if they're all voting or not - only Xiph0 knows until after voting is done - so I might have to change that and know who the authors are. Scouts honor I won't look until I've either reviewed or decided not to.
    We'll see how it goes.

7. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I didnt want to clutter the other thread now that voting has started. But I did want to bring up again... the more I think on it, the more I think the competition could benefit from having this not be a sub-forum. I think both from submissions and for reviewing. Like I was just talking to a friend I have who is also a DLP member and asked if he was going to review... he didn't even know the competition was going on because he didnt see the sub-forum.

So I dont know. Is this an easy change or a difficult one? Just thought it would be nice to have some discussion on if we could make the forum visible from the main dlp screen

8. Ched

I’ve got permission now to do announcements so next one we’ll have more of those to help visibility.

9. Blorcyn

Can you or dear, sweet, kind @Sorrows, if she’s not busy, do a banner about this round of voting, maybe? I think sorrows has done them in the past and it did help.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  10. Ched

Yeah I'll do that - I'm def gonna be doing banners for future competitions, etc. This one may be a wash - I hadn't realized how hard it was to find for most people.

11. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    banners are good. Honestly, I think just not making it a sub forum (so you constantly see the recent posts as you scroll down) would help too

12. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Yeah, I don't want to hit this point over and over in case its been decided, but in order to find the entries this time around you had to navigate through three sub forums (meaning four clicks away from the main page). Add to that the fact that Story Competitions is a sub forum of the WbA (for no immediately obvious reason, seeing as WbA is a place for feedback and Story Competitions are... competitions), and you make it so that only the people who had reviewing/reading the entries in mind already got to them at all. And I feel its such a shame, because the comps could be a great way to get authors from different sites to take part in the community, if only they were advertised a little bit better. It's getting a bit sad to see the rounds receive fewer and fewer submissions, to the point where you guys have to extend the deadline just to break the three story mark, and even sadder to see always the same four of five people dropping in to make comments. Like, c'mon, is this a forum for writing (and reading) fanfic or not.

13. Ched

The next competition will have 2-3 banner announcements (voting, remember to write, and really remember to write, and probably vote) - so we'll see how that goes.

Depending on feedback after we're using banners properly we'll see about moving it to it's own subforum. But I'll run that by staff once the next competition is going.

Also I'm going with the authors/reviewers regarding how to adjust those things and then typically taking Halt's advice on how best to implement it - so for now we're sticking with authors who enter the comp have to review and vote (but not for themselves). I believe that was what we went with, but I wasn't as clear as I could be in the last comp post.

14. Ched

I'm doing a few banner notices this time for the Competition (figuring out how to make those look decent atm) and we'll see if that helps.

We aren't going to give the comp it's own sub-forum unless it gets popular again, I think. Let's see how notices do first to keep it in front of peoples minds.

15. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Yeah I totally blanked on this forum for the above reasons.

It’s more work, but maybe @ anyone who has expressed interest at the key milestones.

16. Ched

Alright folks - thoughts?

I did quite a few announcements this time (the poll, the start of the comp, a month left, a week left, a day left) to try and remind everyone and maintain interest.

We still just got four entries, and while they aren't bad none of them really blew me out of the water compared to some of the earlier entries we had in the past.

So just doing more announcements to keep it on everyone's mind wasn't quite enough.

Should we try to advertise further afield? There are more general fanfic discords, etc. The problem there is that we'd get an influx of people to DLP who might not, uh, fit in. Might lead to a bunch of pissiness and bans, but it might also net us some new blood who'd fit in.

How else can we restore interest? I know there's talk of more of a 'prize' for winning apart from the reward of good reviews (which everyone gets) and the ability to pick a poll choice for the next comp, but other than that?

17. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I'ma be honest, I really struggled with this prompt, then I had inspiration for two ideas about 10 days ago, at the same time Valheim came out to suck up my time.

So for me personally, a combination of a hard prompt (For me), and a late time crunch.

18. Aureus

Aureus Squib

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I didn't submit an entry due to the prompt as well as life circumstances. I had some interesting ideas, but none that I can write into a satisfying short story. The prompt is a bit bland and a bit too restrictive, in my opinion. It didn't really strike my imagination. Writing a story with an actual plot regarding this prompt, in around 15000 words or less, was a bit challenging for me. Whereas, when I read the previous prompts, I was struck with a lot of ideas instantly. I can't speak for others in the forum, of course. My tastes are probably different than most here, since I'm an r/hpff regular. Also, I was a bit busy this month studying since I had an important exam at March 13th.

I'm not sure how you could increase interest. The announcements worked for me. One of the first things that greeted me when I joined the website was the announcement for the competition, which I was initially interested in joining. The only thing I can think of is to promote the competition to the subreddit or discord etc., before the voting for prompt takes place, so that we could get a prompt that appeals to a wider audience, and thus, more entries. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though - take my opinion with a grain of salt since I'm a bit new here and hence unfamiliar with the culture.

Edit: Also, while I didn't write an entry, I would be happy to write reviews/critiques for the entires that have been submitted. Am I allowed to do that or is that only for authors who submitted an entry or established authors in the community?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  19. Ched

You are actively encouraged to vote and be a judge regardless of whether or not you entered! It would be appreciated.

20. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Maybe a page on DLP that shows the winners of the competitions & how many times they've won? Or a star/badge which indicates that someone was a competition winner? I think we're getting to a point where a few regular submitters have won multiple times... maybe that dims the lustre of the competition for them. Some kind of incentive should definitely be considered imo