1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Ghost of Privet Drive by AndrewWolfe - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Leo1980s, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Leo1980s

Leo1980s Squib

High Score:
    Title: Ghost of Privet Drive
    Author: AndrewWolfe
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Family
    Pairings: None
    Summary: "Fix it" said the Fates. "Fix what? With what tools and skills?" I asked. Being dead was only the first of the obstacles. And then I found myself in an understairs cupboard listening to a little boy quietly sobbing. Oh. Fix THAT. In which a sarcastic old git is dropped into the awful childhood of Harry Potter. SI, no ships. Rated M for foul language and canon-level abuse.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13436100/1/Ghost-of-Privet-Drive

I'm sure I'm in for some abuse for recommending an SI but hey its Christmas & I've actually rather enjoyed this one.

I'm not sure what the pacing is going to be but the story starts with Harry at 5 & goes from there. Its not your usual SI fic - by which I mean groan & ditch ASAP. I think its original, funny & well written but I doubt I've read as many stories as everyone else.

3/5

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion DLP Supporter

Agree about the pacing, it's a bit slow although it's working for now. Big fan of the super deep Brit deep dive stuff, like a salve for all the inaccurate fics out there. Main character is amusing enough, and I like the sense of the world. So far it's a bit "easy" but the author did say in a note that that's by design. So I can grant some leeway and see where it goes. And I definitely have read way too stories.
    4/5

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

I just read the first chapter of this and it's quite engaging. I have a flight tonight and I'll try to read the rest of it on the plane. I'm glad to have something to read!

Notes on Chapter 1

I feel like the first 'part' of the chapter, up until Mal meets Harry, could be shortened to be about half the length. It was engaging and your writing is top notch, but it felt as if it dragged on a bit when I was ready to get to something recognizable to judge the story.

I am on the fence regarding whether I'm happy Mal knows HP canon or not. How much of it he remembers will probably determine this me. At present I think it's good that he does, because as the author you have gone to a lot of trouble to make it feel real and not like he's in a story. I like your choice of the SI as being a middle aged lawyer with mechanics as a hobby.

Too early to rate but I suspect it will be library worthy without issue.

4. Donimo

Donimo Professor

I'm really enjoying this.

5. Ched

I finished what’s written so far. I’m going to go with a 3.5 and - sadly - round down.

The thing is... the prose and characterization and general writing is closer to a 5/5 than most.

But this is a story that sets out to primarily ‘fix’ Harry’s childhood by the addition of a dependable adult. I suspect the majority of the story will take place prior to Harry ever going to Hogwarts, as this style of story telling would get much harder to engage with once Harry is there.

It makes sense that the OC protagonist has so many POV scenes but by doing so without giving Harry equal POV time I think Harry is too much a prop. He’s realistic for a child this age though.

On the fence about Mal gaining magic and the ability to possess people. I expected him to be able to possess Harry at most and generally offer advice/spying. That would have still required action from Harry. But giving the OC so much ability changes that dynamic.

Overall a well written story that does what it sets out to do - just so happens that’s not really up my alley. Possible I’ll change it to 4 though given how it goes later.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  6. AndrewWolfe

AndrewWolfe Muggle

Fair warning, there's a later chapter that includes Naked Dumbledore. Should be gettng posted early February, if you want to mark your calendars.

7. Ched

I previously rounded down from a 3.5 because this wasn't my cup of tea. To an extent that's still true.

Yet I find myself reading every update as soon as I see one, which means it's doing something right to keep me reading in spite of the non-Harry centric content.

Therefore, while my rating doesn't really change, I am now rounding up to 4 for the official rating. Shits engaging in spite of everything that should make it otherwise.

8. AndrewWolfe

AndrewWolfe Muggle

Rather my aim. Take the most self-indulgent, anus-clenchingly awful fanfic premise - the self-insert - and see if I could do something readable with it.

Mostly successful so far, I think, although I did get accused of being a commie, for reasons that no doubt seemed good to the reviewer.

9. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion DLP Supporter

Your own fault for including that "Marx was a secret alchemist wizard" side plot.

10. AndrewWolfe

AndrewWolfe Muggle

He could at least have waited until I'd posted the chapter about the Muggles Seizing The Means Of Enchantment.

11. Crownworthy

Crownworthy First Year

The pacing of this story is terribly slow. After 14 chapters and more than 100000 words, we’re nowhere near Hogwarts. Worse, however, is the fact that after the first couple of chapters, there’s no real conflict. After a quick talking to, the Dursleys see the error of their ways, and don’t appear to have any problem changing. The rest of the story is mostly family fluff. The self insert is given magic in a potentially interesting way, but though the possible consequences are touched upon, there never seems to be a price to pay for the powerup.

It’s also annoyingly preachy, with rants about everything from class and politics to art appreciation, the proper way to raise children, and anything inbetween. Moral grandstanding and unshakeable conviction is seldom interesting to read about, whether you agree with the author’s stance or not. I suppose it’s competently written and mildly funny at times, though. 2/5 for that.