1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Ghost Story by Norwest -T- Dresden Files/Mass Effect

Discussion in 'Dresden Files' started by uju32, Jun 1, 2012.

1. uju32

uju32 First Year

Title: Ghost Story
    Author: Norwest
    Genre: Adventure/Sci-Fi
    Pairing: NA
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 62,856
    Updated: November 3, 2012
    Published: May 12, 2011

Summary: Harry Dresden died, and he's going back. When the Devil's in the details, though, anything can happen...
    Link: Here

Picks up at the end of Changes.First half of chapter 1 is a close copy of chapter 1 of Ghost Story.....right up until he walks into Captain Jack Murphy's office and runs into a certain Jack Shepherd who just died at Terra Nova.

They get sent back into each other's universes/timeline in their own bodies.Awesomeness ensues.

Chapters alternate between Dresden in ME and Shepherd in Dresden Files Chicago.The author's Dresden voice is pitch perfect, his Shepherd is just not as good yet.Supporting characters are very well done, and there are some unexpected cameos.

4/5, possibly 4.5/5. Highly recommended.

Snippet from Chapter 7:

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I came across this back when it was only on chapter 2 and thought to myself 'there's no way this guy can cross these two well'. Turns out I was half right. This author can't. The writing is rushed, a lot of details were inconsistent, the dialogue is mediocre, and the action scenes are a confusing mess.

In chapter 1 Dresden tells Shepard that he comes from Chicago in 1996, but we see camera phones and hear references to things that shouldn't have happened yet, like those Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man" commercials. Not to mention the fact that Dresden's frequent canonical use of the term "Padawan" doesn't make sense with Changes happening in '96 since the movie it came from didn't come out until '98. The action scenes read like a Jason Statham movie: Blurry, too fast paced, and mind-bendingly difficult to follow.

On the positive side, the grammar was above average and I liked a lot of the ideas and devices the author came up with.
    Channeling soulfire through the Omni-tool and accidentally turning it into a sort of electronic wizard staff came off as a little flimsy but still kind of cool. Dresden Soul Gazing a husk, and Seeing Sovereign were both done surprisingly well, imo. Also, Fido was pretty :awesome . And Shepard trying to "blend in" in 20th/early 21st Century Chicago by looking absorbed in his omni-tool actually made me chuckle a bit.

TL;DR: 3/5 for good ideas, bad execution.

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I like the idea of it being a crossover featuring BOTH main characters in each other's worlds, and while its fun and entertaining, I feel it's lacking something.

Sheppherd in Chicago just feels like a typical "Let's insert overpowered badass into world and see him beat everyone". Then again, we haven't really seen much BUT fight scenes.

Dresden's story I felt was a bit more interesting, with other aspects to the story. Ramirez appearing had me particularly interested.

Nonetheless, it feels more like an Almost Recommendable story more than Library material. 3-3.5/5.