1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned "Gilding the Son of Lily" by Publicola - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Publius, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Publius

Publius First Year

Originality is overrated. With so many thousands of fan-fics posted, and I'm several years late to this party anyways, there's really no chance of making an original point. My goal is merely to write well, force people to think, and arrange unoriginal ideas in a way that makes for a good story. If that doesn't work... well, darn.

Not sure I follow. Is this one ff.net, or here at DLP, and if so, how do I go about changing it? It's still a WIP, if only because I have a new chapter coming out on Monday.

Thanks!

2. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Relax, it's fixed. And by that, I mean that you shouldn't listen to people who say random shit.
    Does your fic on ff.net have a completed mark as all completed fics have?
    No.
    Does this thread here is marked as complete in the title?
    No. It even says WIP in the title. Wonderful Important Person (Lockhart). Err.. Work in Progress.

Also, a better question you should probably be asking is "what adoption?". Cause I don't remember anything like that, not like I was paying loads of attention. But then again, maybe you remember all the adoptions in the fic you wrote better.

3. Publius

Publius First Year

Yeah, not sure what he meant by that. No adoptions written, no adoptions planned. I figured it was either a reference to my fic being loosely inspired by Skysaber's "My Gilded Life" (the usual meaning of 'adoption' in the context of 'inspired by [some other fic]') or a reference to my mind's absorption (?) into Lockhart's body, or pretty much the entire fic. If Ilverin's around to clarify, great. If not... oh well. Hope you enjoy the new chapter.

4. Ilverin

Ilverin First Year

I seem to have made a rather large error. You see, it seemed to me that a self-insert fic about Gilderoy Lockhart with religious undertones would be rather singular.

Imagine my surprise upon reading the responses to find that, no, in fact, I had read an entirely different self-insert Gilderoy Lockhart fanfiction! (they even have similar titles!)

I would like to duly apologize, and would like to request that my review be removed.

(The fanfiction I had actually read was, in fact "My Gilded Life": http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3695419/1/My-Gilded-Life)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. fuanonemus

fuanonemus Squib

High Score:
    Title: Magical Me
    Author: Publicola
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Chapters: 16
    Words: 89,712
    Updated: August 20, 2015
    Published: July 16, 2012

Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: none
    Summary: Most self-inserts are exercises in vanity, and nothing says 'vanity' quite like Gilderoy Lockhart. But with a new personality and knowledge of the future, who knows? Maybe Lockhart will turn out to be a useful DADA teacher after all.
    Link: FanFiction.Net

I was inspired to add this to the review board due to a discussion about the quality of self-insert fics in general. This is fanfiction I think of when I consider quality self-inserts.

The work is quite humorous because unlike the regular self-insert, the author wakes up as Gilderoy Lockhart rather than an OC. He of course has to deal with all the ridiculousness that comes with being such an ostentatious man including a ridiculously named house elf and many, many, fangirls.

But this work isn't awesome just because of the hilarity. It's good because of it's ingenuity. The author has to deal with issues one may not consider like establishing his integrity, finding allies, and actually learning how to be a wizard. Another great aspect is how detailed the work is in describing certain types of magic like charms. Also, instead of being all about the Golden Trio or the Order of the Phoenix, Magical Me is all about the interesting side characters like Flitwick, Madame Bones, and Andromeda Tonks.

Of course, like in any self-insert, the author tries to fix some problems, but unlike other SIs and even some time travel works, he has to deal with the consequences of making fixes and the trouble of actually fixing something.

Unfortunately, the author hasn't updated in nearly a year, but apparently this isn't the first time he's procrastinated so not all hope is lost.

All in all, Magical Me is a pretty great fic, especially for a self insert. 4/5

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  6. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember this one. I read it probably two, three years ago, but it was pretty memorable. Decent, too. One of the better SI fics. IIRC, I had some problems with the SI's Christian faith, but it wasn't too bad.

This isn't really a proper review, but I read it a long ago, remembered it, have a vaguely positive recollection, but it's not on my favorites list, so I didn't love it.

3/5.

7. Redhawk

Redhawk First Year

I didn't like it. It started off well but just degenerated into a fix it fic where the SI does everything right, and poor little Harry looks up to him with his doe eyes.

Stopped reading when he talked to Amelia Bones, because it was obvious I wasn't going to enjoy reading it.

I give it a 2/5.

8. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Same. Good beginning, but then MC immediately assumed that Harry was deliberately abused, that Dumbledore was evil, etc. Of course he was correct on his baseless assumptions and everyone believed him.

Now, if SI was planning his actions on fanon information that have clouded his mind, because he read canon so long ago, and was grievously mistaken and humiliated - that would be funny and interesting. Alas, the temptation of authors to make SI infallible preachy douches is one of the reasons that this genre is heavily disliked.

2/5

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  9. oakgem217

oakgem217 First Year

I distinctly remember this story as being fairly fanon fueled. The SI gaining a whole heap of skills via memory dump was clear power wank, and harry simply listening to this nutjob talk at him was OOC.

The premise has promise, but the potential promise of the premise was pretty thoroughly put out. 1/5